2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2010 Fit Manual Much better than AT

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
2010 Fit Manual Much better than AT

Just recently traded in my 2009 Fit Sport AT and got a 2010 5 Speed manual. I had wanted a manual when I got the 09, but compromised for spouse reasons. The new manual runs way better. It used to bug the heck out of me when the AT would downshift so much to keep the speed up on hills.The manual will pull most hills in fifth gear even with AC on. The manual with it's lower gearing pulls much stronger and feels like some of my older Civic's I've had thru the years. It's much more responsive to the throttle, too. If anyone is on the fence as whether they want a AT or manual drive both and you'll see for yourself.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
One thing you forgot is the engine sound between the 2 transmissions. The AT has a higher pitch, harder working, busy sound when revving, while the MT is much deeper and quieter, more of a growl.

How much did you trade in your AT for? With how many miles?

So does this mean you split with your wife? lol.

And yes, Car and Driver 0-60 for the AT: 9.9 secs, MT: 8.3 secs, so that's a good deal quicker.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Fit 5 Speed Manul

No I'm still married, she just got tired of me whining and said go ahead and get the manual. I got a pretty decent trade and only had about 10,000 miles on it. They sold me the new one at invoice. This new one is my third Fit. I had a 2007 AT I had purchased in late 2006. I've had many Honda's thru the years,and some Nissan's and a Toyota, a 1981 5 speed Civic, an 84 Civic 5 speed, a 86 Civic SI 5 speed, a 90 Accord 5 speed, a 91 Nissan NX 2000 5 speed, a 95 Nissan 200 SX 5 speed, a 99 Civic SI, a 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS 6 speed, a 2007 Fit Sport AT, the 2009 Fit Sport AT and now the 2010 Fit Sport MT. ( I'm an old coot I guess)

Old 09-17-2010, 09:35 PM
How is the clutch? I've noticed on recent Hondas that the clutch seems really close, far moreso than it needs to be. In my Element, I had to adjust the steering wheel higher than I wanted so that my knee didn't hit the wheel every time, or turn my leg sideways and put it with the tip of my toe.

My first car was an Accord 5-speed (92, same gen as the 90, but without the retarded 'choke-belts') I LOVED the clutch/engine/tranny combination in there. The low-end torque on that car was surprisingly good.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
The clutch is really easy to modulate and to feel it engage, too. It engages not too far from the floor. I haven't had to mess with the steering wheel position.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
IIRC, the GD's clutch was closer to the driver. The GE's is perfect.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:33 PM
manual is great!
My wife doesn't know how to drive manual but I still got one anyway :P

Old 09-18-2010, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT

And yes, Car and Driver 0-60 for the AT: 9.9 secs, MT: 8.3 secs, so that's a good deal quicker.
I find this makes a big difference when going to haul groceries. I make up the time running over the old ladies with cart in the produce section.

I am quite happy with my AT. Want to feel sporty? Put it in SP7 mode on the TC and D3.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
One thing you forgot is the engine sound between the 2 transmissions. The AT has a higher pitch, harder working, busy sound when revving, while the MT is much deeper and quieter, more of a growl.
Yeah, that is until you get on some highway/freeway, and the loud, droning, "high pitched" whine of the MT's 5th gear makes you near-crazy and wish for a 6th gear!

I think the AT has the best of both worlds. Besides, that very slight-in-comparison AT "higher pitch" you talk about can be remedied by adding a HKS high-power exhaust (or another decent brand preference) and a decent intake. Then it purrs and growls very nicely, thank you!

To each his/her own though!

Some owners, even a few on this forum, report not even a 1 sec. difference in 0-60 speeds. There was no noticeable difference at all between AT and MT using the AT's paddle shifters when I test drove.

Like I said though, to each his own! I'm glad I decided on AT, myself. (we need a little paddle-shifting VTEC dude!)

Old 09-18-2010, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
obviously the majority of people think an A/T is better or Honda couldn't charge more for it.

It depends on your lifestyle. As a commuter in metro Atlanta a M/T would make me want to shoot myself (ymmv). When I lived in Utah and Colorado I wouldn't want an auto (but then I was driving jeeps). But a lot of people did...

Old 09-18-2010, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
obviously the majority of people think an A/T is better or Honda couldn't charge more for it.
Good point!

Originally Posted by Steve244
It depends on your lifestyle. As a commuter in metro Atlanta a M/T would make me want to shoot myself (ymmv).
Lol... no kidding... been there, done that!

Matter of fact, I must confess the "commuter" reason was enough for me to choose AT, even if I desperately wanted the MT (and I did!). I've had quite a few rides with MT, and between the stop-and-go traffic, changing radio stations etc., and fumbling with the beverage of choice, you're right! There were days of serious shifting fatigue and thoughts of shooting myself... or shooting some obnoxious driver next to me!

That and the paddle shifters caused any remaining thoughts of MT to drift assuredly away into Utopian AT paradise!

Old 09-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by annunC8
Good point!

Lol... no kidding... been there, done that!

Matter of fact, I must confess the "commuter" reason was enough for me to choose AT, even if I desperately wanted the MT (and I did!). I've had quite a few rides with MT, and between the stop-and-go traffic, changing radio stations etc., and fumbling with the beverage of choice, you're right! There were days of serious shifting fatigue and thoughts of shooting myself... or shooting some obnoxious driver next to me!

That and the paddle shifters caused any remaining thoughts of MT to drift assuredly away into Utopian AT paradise!
This is the first automatic I've ever bought, and the paddle shifters are what convinced me. There's not enough room down there for three pedals! (And I love having the spot where the clutch would be to rest my leg - the footrest is a bit closer than I'd like)

Stop&Go traffic never bothered me with a stick... (And I have to say, if you are fumbling with radio stations, your beverage, etc. to the point that it's interfering with your driving, you should probably pull over until you get it sorted out.) Automatics require just your foot instead of both feet+shifter hand, but they also feel far less controlled in traffic. You open the throttle, and the engine jumps to life, followed eventually be the car moving. You don't get to control the actual delivery to the wheels. Add in the car constantly straining against you while stopped (unless you shift to N every time) and it took some time to get really comfortable driving an automatic in heavy traffic.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Thumbs up

I'm sorry, but there is NO replacement for 3 pedals, period

I have a 5AT because the dealership didn't have a manual and supposedly couldn't find me one either, I was even willing to drive within a 250 mile circumfrence of the greater Chicagoland area to get one too, but no

Now don't get me wrong, I love the paddle-shifters and actually use them and yes, in traffic, its awesome having the 5AT, but the joy 3 pedals gives me is MORE than the FUSTRATION of having those 3 pedals in major traffic gives me, period!

Someone posted earlier about running somone over because the stick is 1.6 seconds faster in a commuter car and yeah, I know its a commuter car but forums like this tend to have the ear of the enthusist rather than the "normal" user of this car. Either way, we're here for both drivers, right

STICKS RULE!

Old 09-18-2010, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
For me there is no droning at highway speeds with my MT. Driving the AT at highways speeds is no quieter than the MT, I don't care about the rpms difference. Drive one first before you comment.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Will all of you just stop jerking yourselves off, already? Go do some creative trolling instead of this shit that's been beaten to hell already.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by FITFOLLY
Will all of you just stop jerking yourselves off, already? Go do some creative trolling instead of this shit that's been beaten to hell already.
Don't you have anything better to do?

Old 09-18-2010, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITFOLLY
LOL. Are you calling them a bunch of Wankers?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
LOL. Are you calling them a bunch of Wankers?

no... he's calling us a bunch of wankers, yet he took time from his really important stuff to take a wank in this thread.

It's a message board, folly, not the Louvre or even the national enquirer. If people want to talk about the benefits of premium gas, obsessively changing their oil, or their favorite tranny they should feel welcome to. Well, maybe not premium gas .

Old 09-18-2010, 07:27 PM
the dealer must be laughing at you
the 5MT will be obsolete, there`s a 6MT coming on the FIT
are you going to trade in your car again! lol
I would never buy a manual fit, the 5SPD AUTO is awesome and actually gets better mileage then a 5MT!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Trolling aside, like some one said in another thread, that's why the Fit has self adjusting volume controls. Grab an iPod or USB stick, crank the system to 16, SVC to anything other than none... and drive.

Nothing beats a nice driving while rocking to your favorite tunes. (be it some hardcore alternative, teeny pop... or ethnic, in my case, Asian folk music )

Quick Reply: 2010 Fit Manual Much better than AT