2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2010 Fit Manual Much better than AT

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting about the lack of availability in other areas on the 5MT. Here, our local dealer has 7 honda fits on the lot (all 2010). 1 Base (auto), 2 Sport(Auto), 3 Sport (5MT - TWB, TW, CBP), 1 Sport Navi (5MT - TWB) so out of he 7 fits, 4 are 5MT with 3 different color choices. Took Honda 3 days to locate and deliver our 5MT TW FIT Sport 1 1/4 years ago. There were 7 TW and 9 ORM available when we ordered (those were our 1/2 choices)

~SB

Old 01-01-2011, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
It was easy to find my manual. Nobody else wanted it! Got a steal! Should do well on the used market for enthusiasts, but knew I shot myself in the foot when it comes to an easy sale. Increasingly, people are not interested in autos, as everyone knows. KBB would say it's worth less, and it is.

That said, and this debate really is ubiquitous out there in car forum land, and for me, I don't think any auto will do it for me as a main car. I've already done the "I'm grown up and ready" thing, bought a loaded automatic 06 Passat - nice car - then proceeded to hate it with every shift and sold it quickly. I'd still prefer to use my left foot in heavy traffic all day long until I can afford a car truly worthy of the luxurious self-shifting that has no performance capabilities to write home about besides straight line speed and luxury. Like a S-class.

If I had the luxury of owning two vehicles, I would probably consider it for putting around when I am just "not feeling it." Which means, I'm tired and not that enthused about cars - cause the bills are due, it's shitty weather, and I gotta get to a business meeting and look respectable without a rice rocket. But given only one car - no matter what it is, or how performance oriented it is or isn't - give me a manual. I have to be able to drive one or I will go crazy.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
Interesting about the lack of availability in other areas on the 5MT. Here, our local dealer has 7 honda fits on the lot (all 2010). 1 Base (auto), 2 Sport(Auto), 3 Sport (5MT - TWB, TW, CBP), 1 Sport Navi (5MT - TWB) so out of he 7 fits, 4 are 5MT with 3 different color choices. Took Honda 3 days to locate and deliver our 5MT TW FIT Sport 1 1/4 years ago. There were 7 TW and 9 ORM available when we ordered (those were our 1/2 choices)

~SB
I thought you couldn't get a mt with navi??

When I bought in 2008, my dealership told me about 5% of Fits made are mt. I bought the only one in a 250 mile radius and I had to wait about 2 weeks for it.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by canuck901
you can state your case, go look at what a dealer will give you as a trade in on honda fit sport 5MT...then compare to 5AT.

I have sold 6 fit sports in the past 18 months....I import them from the US....90% of the people do want a manual 5MT, they want 5AT,...

5MT sits on the lot until a specific person wants one....which is a very very small market and no they do not increase market value, it's a small market that wants a manual...usually a young male.

your resoning makes no sense....just because there's low demand does not make it worth more because it's rare.
the blackberry pearl fit has very low demand...so Honda discontinued it. The blackberry color is rare, but it doesn't mean its worth more.

sorry to burst your bubble, Happy New year!
What we have here is a failure to communicate. I've already stated twice that I'm talking about a private sale yet you insist on referring to dealers--in canada no less. But whatevs. Happy new year.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:44 PM
private sale or not, it doesnt really make a difference...

Old 01-01-2011, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
I thought you couldn't get a mt with navi??

When I bought in 2008, my dealership told me about 5% of Fits made are mt. I bought the only one in a 250 mile radius and I had to wait about 2 weeks for it.

Hmmm you should be right. - didn't catch that. I'm guessing the website might be off. or... Hmmm maybe it wasn't a navi. the price was about $1500 more than the next closest sport 5MT and about $800-$900 more than the Sport auto so maybe I assumed. Now I'm curious.

it was Shearer Honda

I can't recommend them enough (except for the one Greasy-hair-looking sales manager. The other sales Mgr is a good guy.) Service Dept is Top Notch.

~SB

Old 01-01-2011, 06:35 PM
I notice that Fits hit the US in waves. We'll get a ship that is almost all automatics and then the next seems to have almost half manuals.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Hmmm you should be right. - didn't catch that. I'm guessing the website might be off. or... Hmmm maybe it wasn't a navi. the price was about $1500 more than the next closest sport 5MT and about $800-$900 more than the Sport auto so maybe I assumed. Now I'm curious.

it was Shearer Honda

I can't recommend them enough (except for the one Greasy-hair-looking sales manager. The other sales Mgr is a good guy.) Service Dept is Top Notch.

~SB

Actually, there was a time earlier in the year you could get a 2010 MT w/navi. In fact, in June, one of the sales guy at a dealer actually said that if I wanted, I could order it. By then I had decided to save a few $$$ so I decided not to.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:47 PM
FWIW, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool manual fan, even in heavy Chicago traffic - and I made my recently-retired Saturn's clutch last for the entire 180,000 miles I had it. I'm pretty easy on clutches.

I was fortunate to find a TW base model with stick... but I had to go up to the north side (O'Hare Honda in Des Plaines) to get it.

I wouldn't object to a 6th gear (going from 65 to 70 brings on a noticeable drop in mpg), but it wasn't a deal-breaker for me.

The key to not going nuts in traffic is to keep your speed as steady as possible, even if a gap opens in front of you and someone else pulls into it. Trying to ride the bumper of the guy in front of you is a losing proposition.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Crispy Critter
FWIW, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool manual fan, even in heavy Chicago traffic - and I made my recently-retired Saturn's clutch last for the entire 180,000 miles I had it. I'm pretty easy on clutches.

I was fortunate to find a TW base model with stick... but I had to go up to the north side (O'Hare Honda in Des Plaines) to get it.

I wouldn't object to a 6th gear (going from 65 to 70 brings on a noticeable drop in mpg), but it wasn't a deal-breaker for me.

The key to not going nuts in traffic is to keep your speed as steady as possible, even if a gap opens in front of you and someone else pulls into it. Trying to ride the bumper of the guy in front of you is a losing proposition.
I had to go from around Old Orchard mall out to Matteson (halfway out to Kankakee!!!) to get my Fit. So it's 100 miles round trip per dealer visit (I'm gonna stick to a closer one from now on).

But yeah, I agree about the attempt on consistency in Chicago, even when the other folks love cutting in and out.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
One thing you forgot is the engine sound between the 2 transmissions. The AT has a higher pitch, harder working, busy sound when revving, while the MT is much deeper and quieter, more of a growl.

My AT is much quieter than my friends MT simply because gearing is much less numerically so the rpm is much less. That accounts for all the noise, not the gearing itself.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
I got my AT only because it was the only option available within a 150 mile radius when I bought it last May (and this was in CA, where traffic is horrible and there's a dealership on every other block). AT has its benefits though: I'm not smacking my passenger's leg going into 5th, higher gear ratio on 5th (which is probably how I managed almost 40 mpg going across the country), and more legroom. Still want an MT though...

Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by joefit
Just recently traded in my 2009 Fit Sport AT and got a 2010 5 Speed manual. I had wanted a manual when I got the 09, but compromised for spouse reasons. The new manual runs way better. It used to bug the heck out of me when the AT would downshift so much to keep the speed up on hills.The manual will pull most hills in fifth gear even with AC on. The manual with it's lower gearing pulls much stronger and feels like some of my older Civic's I've had thru the years. It's much more responsive to the throttle, too. If anyone is on the fence as whether they want a AT or manual drive both and you'll see for yourself.

Amen, preach on brother.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by flip619
I got my AT only because it was the only option available within a 150 mile radius when I bought it last May (and this was in CA, where traffic is horrible and there's a dealership on every other block). AT has its benefits though: I'm not smacking my passenger's leg going into 5th, higher gear ratio on 5th (which is probably how I managed almost 40 mpg going across the country), and more legroom. Still want an MT though...
I must have gotten your car. In May, Gardena Honda got my car from Lemon Grove. The idea that the AT gets better gas mileage is not necessarily true, but may be due to the EPA City test cycle. Im getting the low 30's, way above the 27 estimate in Los Angeles commuter traffic. Ive never gotten 40 highway, but 37 is doable.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Lol the AT is better on fuel then the 5MT. Of course it depends on how you drive , obviously if you pin your car
All the time you get lower gas mileage.
The point is , the MT has lower gearing and has higher rpms at 60mph and up the the 5AT. This has been proven and people still argue like DUH.
The 5MT is fun to drive If you don't mind shifting but the 5AT is also extremely good. I have had both and I prefer the 5AT
It's all personal preference

Old 01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
That's the beauty of a free society. You can buy what ever you want. That's why they make vanilla and chocolate.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Haha yeah , people are picking fly sh.it out of pepper here. Lol

Old 01-10-2011, 01:54 PM
lol yea both are good in their own ways. No point in trying to prove one is better than the other lol

Old 01-11-2011, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
Could have built turbo for the money you lost swapping lol. Sorry, had to.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Could have built turbo for the money you lost swapping lol. Sorry, had to.
who are you replying to?? did someone do an engine swap in here?

Quick Reply: 2010 Fit Manual Much better than AT