2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2010 Fit Manual Much better than AT

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
no... he's calling us a bunch of wankers, yet he took time from his really important stuff to take a wank in this thread.

It's a message board, folly, not the Louvre or even the national enquirer. If people want to talk about the benefits of premium gas, obsessively changing their oil, or their favorite tranny they should feel welcome to. Well, maybe not premium gas .
What about the Weekly World News?

Don't forget HID vs Retrofit...

makes you wonder why they'd even post with so few posts themselves. not like they use the board that much.

I love the 5MT because I feel like I have much more control. I had a CVT with "sport shift" which mimicked a 6MT but not well. I never felt that I had the control of feathering the clutch & Gas simultaneously. Especially in the Snow. If all I used it for was highway/commuting, I'd probably go with the 5AT and put on some quiet wheels/maybe add some sound deadening but my commute is curvy, hilly, country roads where I DRIVE the car. I'm not a fan of "riding" in the car (which was one of my biggest complaints in the altima - numb feeling).

~SB

Old 09-18-2010, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone complaining about engine drone at highway speeds must've had their radio stolen. If not, then turn the volume up to "8", then you shouldn't hear any engine noise at all. I love my 5MT and wouldn't care for a 6MT unless the lower 5 ratios are revised more closely. The non-fuel economy 5th gear allows more precise and responsive passing on the hwy. Amen.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by canuck901
the dealer must be laughing at you
the 5MT will be obsolete, there`s a 6MT coming on the FIT
are you going to trade in your car again! lol
I would never buy a manual fit, the 5SPD AUTO is awesome and actually gets better mileage then a 5MT!
I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of Honda's employee base in their dealer network has absolutely no idea that Honda might release a 6 speed Fit here. It's not even confirmed.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
What about the Weekly World News?

Don't forget HID vs Retrofit...

makes you wonder why they'd even post with so few posts themselves. not like they use the board that much.

I love the 5MT because I feel like I have much more control. I had a CVT with "sport shift" which mimicked a 6MT but not well. I never felt that I had the control of feathering the clutch & Gas simultaneously. Especially in the Snow. If all I used it for was highway/commuting, I'd probably go with the 5AT and put on some quiet wheels/maybe add some sound deadening but my commute is curvy, hilly, country roads where I DRIVE the car. I'm not a fan of "riding" in the car (which was one of my biggest complaints in the altima - numb feeling).

~SB
No batboy sightings, so no, not the WWN.

Talk about numb cars; my fit was butt hurt by one of Marietta's finer citizens in the parking lot at Dave and Buster's. Not only was I forced to an excruciatingly awful corporate event that I can't bill for, someone did $700 damage to my rear end. Then to add insult to injury Enterprise put me in a Kia Rondo. yegods what an awful ride. Numb city. And the slurping of gasoline drowned out the tinny POS sound system. My Fit with it's fresh bumper cover and impact bar was whinnying for me when I picked it up yesterday. Drive some other maker's foul car to really make you appreciate Hondas: MT or AT. Just wanted to share.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
For me there is no droning at highway speeds with my MT. Driving the AT at highways speeds is no quieter than the MT, I don't care about the rpms difference. Drive one first before you comment.
I disagree, depending on what you consider highway speeds. At 55-60mph I would agree with you. Above that, the engine noise seems more notable with MT.
I cruise at closer to 70mph on the highway for an hour each day and value the lower RPM/less engine noise the AT provides.

Although you personally may not "care" about the higher RPM's of the engine cruising on the highway, the MT Fit definitely sounds more noisy at the higher speeds. Not like 2 or 3 hundred RPM, but more closer to 1k if I remember correctly. Everyone is different, so as you stated it's best to drive both to see which model is preferred.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by reako
Although you personally may not "care" about the higher RPM's of the engine cruising on the highway, the MT Fit definitely sounds more noisy at the higher speeds. Not like 2 or 3 hundred RPM, but more closer to 1k if I remember correctly. Everyone is different, so as you stated it's best to drive both to see which model is preferred.
My Element ran at the same elevated engine speeds, but seemed much quieter. Maybe the 2.4 is a quieter engine... maybe the wind noise is just so much greater that it drowned it out!!!

Anyway, I agree 100% that it's all a matter of preference. Neither one is "better" than the other. Some folks will look at the equation and decide that one or the other is more appropriate. For me, for a stick to be enjoyable, it needs a LOT of legroom to allow for both comfortable engagement of the clutch, and to give your left foot somewhere to rest. The footrest in the Fit seems a bit close, and the empty spot where the clutch would be make a much better place to rest my foot. Shifting into first would likely bump my knee.
If you have short legs, this would never even come up as a concern. Diff'rent Strokes and all that.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:40 PM
AT was made for commuting in San Francisco

Old 12-19-2010, 11:53 PM
^
Wow, really? I feel the opposite most of the time. The hills in SF are sources of fear for me- the car doesn't move. I kick myself everyday for not pushing for the 5sp- It could be as simple as staying in a lower gear to climb the hill, then coast...

29MPG isn't really earth shattering either, I wonder what mileage I'd be getting in a manual.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
Defend what you have!!!! lol.

People justify their purchases.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Exactly , I have had both 5mt sport and 5at, I prefer the 5at.
Its basically personal preference. Yes we will see a 6mt in 2012 I bet!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:57 PM
my justifications for buying a MT

-I've always driven MT
-weighs about 80ish lbs less than an AT
-costs about $600ish less than an AT
-repairs waaaay down the road, are generally cheaper and easier w/a MT
-I average 40mpg in my MT, I can never seem to match that in an AT
-and its more fun to drive a MT

Old 12-20-2010, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
Defend what you have!!!! lol.

People justify their purchases.
hum, why?

I bought the MT because... I wanted to.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:08 PM
I agree with the MT being fun to drive and cheaper cost
BUT , 5AT has higher resale and gets better fuel mileage due to lower Rpms on the highway compared to the 5MT

Old 12-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by canuck901
I agree with the MT being fun to drive and cheaper cost
BUT , 5AT has higher resale and gets better fuel mileage due to lower Rpms on the highway compared to the 5MT
I average around 35ish mpgs doing 75mph.. and 40-41mpgs in the suburbs. My highway mpg is on par w/the AT.

re-sale; even w/the rarity of the MT which would be attractive to the right buyer. yeah you're probably right as most dealers don't care about that.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:31 PM
MT owners are just having a hard time accepting that paddles can be equally fun...

...now if only the paddles are not mounted on the steering wheel :/

Old 12-20-2010, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
MT owners are just having a hard time accepting that paddles can be equally fun...

I totally agree. This is the main point.
Also, i have read so many threats that AT get much better gas mileage than MT due to the lower RPM. I only have an AT so i have no way to test it.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats, the Fit's manual is fantastic! You'll enjoy it every day!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member

That first statement is very subjective. For me it is nowhere near as fun to drive nor as engaging and I tried one on circuit. For some it is a nice compromise, but for me it will never be the same thing or even close to it. Unfortunately, MT is on the way out the door as less and less people purchase them. Price shouldn't really be a consideration either as the AT and MT here in Japan are the exact same price and the AT here is the CVT which one would think would be more expensive than the normal AT. Auto-makers charge more because they can.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Let's get this straight once and for all. Not only does the EPA rate the MT and AT identically in FE, but real world mileage for both seem to be the same:

Browse All 2009 Honda Fits | Fuelly

Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member

i think the idea that "paddles give the AT the best of both worlds" is a bogus notion.

paddles are only vaguely similar to actually driving a stick.

i have an AT. no regrets. i'm just lazy. i have love for all fits... except those damn ugly GDs... (just kidding of course).

Quick Reply: 2010 Fit Manual Much better than AT