2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Keeping Gauge cluster clean

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Keeping Gauge cluster clean

We all know how easily the gauge cluster plastic window is to scratch. I use a tissue or paper towel with water and rub very gently. However sometimes it gets grime that requires more rubbing.

Even though the microscratches I have on the windows are subtle, they render the legibility of the gauges useless in direct sunlight.

Does anyone know of a safer better way to clean the window?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Microfiber and Invisible Glass | Miracle Cleaning Products | Glass Cleaner

The best dang glass cleaner on the market.

K_C_

Old 09-17-2010, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks. So with these products are your gauge cluster windows scratch-free?

Old 09-17-2010, 12:52 AM
I had the same issue a bit back. I ended up using a product called plexus that I used on my motorcycle helmet shields. It hid almost all the fine scratches and has an anti-static property that repels dust build up.

You should be able to get plexus anywhere they sell automotive/motorcycle helmets.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Microfiber cloth is very forgiving - I have no problems, the glass cleaner is really good, inside and out. red makes a good suggestion if you want to clear them up if scratched.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by red600
I had the same issue a bit back. I ended up using a product called plexus that I used on my motorcycle helmet shields. It hid almost all the fine scratches and has an anti-static property that repels dust build up.

You should be able to get plexus anywhere they sell automotive/motorcycle helmets.

word. i used plexus as well...it cleans windows and dash pretty well. i hear thats what they used for the big jet liners' windows

Old 09-17-2010, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the informative tips guys. I'll get all the above.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:49 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Just buy a few lens replacement parts and change it when it gets unbearable. The part is only about $8 a piece.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Lemon Pledge and microfiber towel. Works great on my Honda motorcycle windshield too.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ein
Just buy a few lens replacement parts and change it when it gets unbearable. The part is only about $8 a piece.
Yes, but isn't it difficult to disassemble the instrument pod, esp if you don't have the tools?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
+1 for microfiber and a gentle spray (water?)

I stole my wife's eye-glasses cleaning kit (spray (water with with a touch of alcohol I think) and small microfiber cloth). Well, "borrowed" anyway. Paper towels or even tissue might scratch the thing.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
It' pretty frustrating.
I read how difficult it is to keep from scratching the lens plastic before I even purchased my Fit.
So I actually went to the trouble of buying a eyeglass lens cloth. It's super soft and lint free.
I've only used slight squirts of water and very light wiping.
Still I have some scratches I see with certain light.
Not bad enough that I think I need to replace, but considering how carefully I've dealt with the gauge lenses, I don't know how to recommend keeping them scratch free.
Maybe if you NEVER touched them at all and just tried compressed air?

Old 09-17-2010, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
It' pretty frustrating.
I read how difficult it is to keep from scratching the lens plastic before I even purchased my Fit.
So I actually went to the trouble of buying a eyeglass lens cloth. It's super soft and lint free.
I've only used slight squirts of water and very light wiping.
Still I have some scratches I see with certain light.
Not bad enough that I think I need to replace, but considering how carefully I've dealt with the gauge lenses, I don't know how to recommend keeping them scratch free.
Maybe if you NEVER touched them at all and just tried compressed air?
You know and I know that won't work. It'll get grimy which will retain dust and require wiping.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
I use a wooly "feather duster" or whatever you call them. Works well for occasional touchup, and rest of hard surfaces as well. Lot'sa water on a paper towel works for bugs on my motorcycle windshield. Rub GENTLY, then dry GENTLY.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Trust in the microfiber cloths.

I've found them ideal for interior cleaning. Just about the only thing I've found to clean the seats and door panels as well. A dry wipe will clean a seat. Vacuuming just can't compare.

Dash and all interior plastic as well - no spray anything, just a wipe with the cloth. AVOID sillycone products at all cost is a simple rule to live by. If it's been a while a simple soap solution gets the 'grime' off.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Trust in the microfiber cloths.

I've found them ideal for interior cleaning. Just about the only thing I've found to clean the seats and door panels as well. A dry wipe will clean a seat. Vacuuming just can't compare.

Dash and all interior plastic as well - no spray anything, just a wipe with the cloth. AVOID sillycone products at all cost is a simple rule to live by. If it's been a while a simple soap solution gets the 'grime' off.
I have "trust" issues with Micro-Fiber.

I do have some, and I use them. Infact I have two micro-fiber wash mitts.

But being old enough to remember when nobody used micro-fiber, micro-fiber makes me nervous. It's designed to trap dirt. Which is great...until that trapped dirt scratches a surface.

Seems like everything is Micro-Fiber this, and Micro-Fiber that, but the quality of Micro-Fiber itself seems to vary so widely.

Some of the cheap Micro-Fiber is nothing more than an advertising slogan, and I wouldn't approach any part of my vehicle with it.

So anyway, in some applications...maybe a lot of applications Micro-fiber is great..but I'd say keep them clean...and buy quality and even with that? It isn't what I'd use to clean the clear plastic lenses.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Einszett Cockpit Premium and a good quality microfiber.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:58 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Yes, but isn't it difficult to disassemble the instrument pod, esp if you don't have the tools?
TK69A00J26220234701KDAV10

People seem to ask this question every 6 months.

Last edited by Ein; 09-18-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Wow. Thanks for that. Are you a tech?

How 'bout all those clips? Aren't they fragile? If so, I'd have to get replacement clips?

Old 09-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
No. If you do a search. There should be at least 2 threads on the subject and the replacement part number.

The clips are sturdy. I have replaced my lens twice.

Last edited by Ein; 09-18-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Keeping Gauge cluster clean