2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Console cup holders

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:50 AM
Console cup holders

OK, so there's somewhere around a bajillion cupholders in the Fit. Unfortunately:

Door:
Awkward, interfere with junk put in the door.

Dash:
Good for shorter items, but get in way of vent, plus I'm not left handed.

Rear of console: Yeah, those little square cutouts don't count... and disappear when you put a real console armrest in.

Back doors: Irrelevant to a front seat occupant.

Which leaves the two "conventional" cupholders ahead of the shifter. These have an odd cutout shape, with the two large gaps. They tend to allow cups to tip backward easily. Has anyone found an easy way to make them more secure?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
Did you know at one time there were no cup holders in cars?

Oh how did we survive? I guess just had to pay attention to driving without being distracted by a coffee.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
the different cut outs are for different sized cups (in case you didnt know) unfortuantely this one size fits all cup holder is not only difficult when you have a small cup, but also if you have a tall cup (super big gulp = no bueno) not only that but if you have an accessory plugged in, you get one less cup holder.

I wish they put the retractable type cup holders, as seen on bmw'x x3 for the vent side holders, the door holders need to be able to fit gatorade/vitamin water medium (normal size bottles) i cant fit them , just my water bottle or poland spring (.5L I think). The two behind the ebrake I think are more suited for the rear seat passengers, but i end up putting a gum pack (60 piece) in the cup container there.

so in summary teh cup holders, though plentiful just needed a little more thought before production. not a deal breaker though.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member
I like the number of cupholders on the Fit--the one in front of the vent is annoying but can be practical if you want to keep a drink cold and have the a/c on!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr

Oh how did we survive? I guess just had to pay attention to driving without being distracted by a coffee.
didn't I hear that McDonalds was marketing that a great place to store your hot coffee is really convenient; between your legs?

OCC, unfortunately, the cup holder locations aren't that great. The Ridgeline has great cup holders and uses little pieces of Foam Rubber to keep smaller cups from shifting around. I think the new Accord using the same thing (but not sure). It may be an idea for a solution but no guaruntees. Another option would be (if you use the same cup daily) to get a piece of larger Pipe insulation to stick in the cup holders to create more snug fitting location. Not pretty, but functional.

~SB

Old 09-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Pretty much all Hondas use a little rubber flap or a series of rubber flaps to hold the cups or cans. I guess they saved 10 cents in the fit.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
I wonder if there are different cup holders on JDM or EDM models. They might have a different center console that would drop in. Maybe 555 could chime in.

~SB

Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Cool I found...

The cup holders in front of the shifter a great place to put my conventional porcelin coffee cup this weekend.

I usually have pint size water bottles in the cup holders, and can put them anywhere.

If I am going out for a while, I slip a completely frozen one in the drivers side rear door.

My biggest quibble with the cupholders is that when I get a coffee at Starbucks, the hot coffee holder always slips into the cupholder, and I have to pick the cup up without it.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
The cup holders in front of the shifter a great place to put my conventional porcelin coffee cup this weekend.

I usually have pint size water bottles in the cup holders, and can put them anywhere.

If I am going out for a while, I slip a completely frozen one in the drivers side rear door.

My biggest quibble with the cupholders is that when I get a coffee at Starbucks, the hot coffee holder always slips into the cupholder, and I have to pick the cup up without it.
lol same here with the dunkin donuts latte/capps

on a side note, does anybody use anything to line the cup holders? i almost had a mess when i left my wendys cup overnight... it was down to just ice, and i forgot about it since it was refreshment empty. The cheap bottoms then use now almost leaked through.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blackbeard

Get a 2nd hot coffee holder, flip it over, and leave it in the one cup holder. (might need to cut the wider end off so the coffee cup bottom touches the base of the cupholder) That should keep the coffee cup more stable and prevent the warmer from sliding down.

~SB

Old 10-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr

My last car had no cup holders... that was the one thing it was missing. I spilled a lot of coffee in the center console

Old 10-17-2010, 01:30 PM
i think the cup holders infront of the vents is genius, keeps my drink nice and cool!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Animal_Crazy
i think the cup holders infront of the vents is genius, keeps my drink nice and cool!
Unfortunately I forget about that when I leave my hot coffee in there too