2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Installed a Parrot mki9100 hand-free device

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Installed a Parrot mki9100 hand-free device

This is the unit and what all it does..... I got it new in box on ebay for $105 and bought the wiring adapter for $45.
Bluetooth Hands Free Car Kits - Parrot USA

On to the pics.

I permanently attached the remote unit with screws thru the square holes in the wheel

The display unit above the air ducts.

From the side

The mic at the map lights, I am going to wires them thru the map light hole once I figure out how to get them out.

The USB/iphone/acc jacks I located in the glovebox with enough wire for the passenger (wife) to hook up her iphone. Note the $29 8gig USB stick I got at wally-world I promptly loaded it with 5gig of songs and the interface is much, much better than the huh-duh.

I moved the accessory to the middle and plugged the hole, I really hacked it up tho trying to get it out. It was probably easier than all that. This relocated the acc to the middle so the cupholder was actually useful, the plugin shown is for my blackberry not the Parrot

Thats it, it wasn't too hard to do either once I got the radio pod out (the screw at the bottom of the radio is a little beach. The Parrot works like a charm and the call quality is excellent. The voice dialing even works first-class.
Mark

Last edited by mdr40z; 09-13-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Nice work. I dont drive long enough distances to actually need something like this but id imagine this very useful for you guys down in the lower 48 who drive hours on the freeway.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:06 AM
I just installed a Parrot kit in my mom's Sonata and that system works flawlessly. I was so impressed that I'm considering picking up one for myself... I just don't spend that much time on the phone so it's a bit down on the list of "mod" priorities.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:25 AM
I have one of these:

Sticks onto the windshield (I have mine in the upper driver's corner) and needs no wiring. The back is covered with solar cells to keep charged. Just hit the button, and it activates the "voice command" option in the phone. I don't care about steering wheel controls - the radio isn't exactly a far reach in a car this size!

Surprisingly (given the high level of road noise), the sound quality is good. The only downside is that I have to remember to hit the power button when I get in. Still, if the phone starts ringing and I hit the power button, or if I have an ongoing call and get in the car, it'll grab the call as soon as I turn it on.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member
This is what I have installed in my car. (ok... not really installed, clipped over the visor.)
It's the Parrot Minikit Slim and it works great. I do however like the idea of solar charging so I'm going to have to look into the possibility of rigging something up.

OP, I see you are using the 12V adapter that plugs in. Consider going Hardwired as it is SUPER easy and gives a more "clean" look (plus it frees up your 12V Adapter). Check out my DIY for my Valentine1 Hardwire in my sig as the Parrot would plug in to the exact same location.

~SB

Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by specboy

OP, I see you are using the 12V adapter that plugs in. Consider going Hardwired as it is SUPER easy and gives a more "clean" look (plus it frees up your 12V Adapter). Check out my DIY for my Valentine1 Hardwire in my sig as the Parrot would plug in to the exact same location.

~SB
No, the power to the Parrot unit is all self contained in the wiring adapter harness, I just showed how I relocated the acc to the middle so the cupholder was actually useful. The plug shown is for the blackberry

Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mdr40z
No, the power to the Parrot unit is all self contained in the wiring adapter harness, I just showed how I relocated the acc to the middle so the cupholder was actually useful. The plug shown is for the blackberry
ahhhh...... i see....

~SB

Old 09-14-2010, 03:55 AM
wow.. that looks like it took a ton of work! good job!

Thanks to the 2.2 froyo update to my droid, i just hooked up the Blueant S4. It's totally handsfree (ie "call wife.."). Cost me $70, clips on my visor. Theres no way I could have hooked that thing up like you did without killing myself and my car.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 PM
It wasn't all that much work, all the panels in the dash are held in with clips (a few screws here and there and the pesky radio bolt) and just pop out. The engineering from Honda is first rate imo.
Anyone know how the map lights come out though?

I considered the wireless options but I really like the music choices and flexibility.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:01 PM
I believe the map lights come out (if you're just referring to the plastic piece that the light shines through) easily with a butterknife. Just find ther correct side and it should easily pop right out (like the trunk light).. unless you're referring to the entire maplight console area, then i have no idea.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Did you have to splice any wires to install this or is it plug and play with the adapter? Any effect on the regular radio's volume after installing it? I really need to get something more reliable for bluetooth as my Garmin GPS won't maintain the connection with my iPhone reliably.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by KyleJ
Did you have to splice any wires to install this or is it plug and play with the adapter? Any effect on the regular radio's volume after installing it? I really need to get something more reliable for bluetooth as my Garmin GPS won't maintain the connection with my iPhone reliably.
Plug and Play.
Radio performs as stock.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:52 AM
Great post; thanks. I just bought one of these MKi9100s and am excited to install it into my 2010 Fit. I assume you used the Quick Connect QCHon-3MK harness to install? I got one of those, and it looks like the connection will be a breeze, but I'm a but concerned by the aux line-in piece of the connection harness. I'm guessing the Fit stereo does not have a rear aux input. does this matter? The Parrot manual seems to indicate that you cannot use the music function (iPod dock/USB/line-in) unless you can connect into your stereo's line-in.

Also, I plan to use Bluetooth audio, primarily. Can you comment on how well that works (assuming that there's no problem with the music input function sans line-in)?

Thanks again for the post and pics!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by TutFit
Great post; thanks. I just bought one of these MKi9100s and am excited to install it into my 2010 Fit. I assume you used the Quick Connect QCHon-3MK harness to install? I got one of those, and it looks like the connection will be a breeze, but I'm a but concerned by the aux line-in piece of the connection harness. I'm guessing the Fit stereo does not have a rear aux input. does this matter? The Parrot manual seems to indicate that you cannot use the music function (iPod dock/USB/line-in) unless you can connect into your stereo's line-in.

Also, I plan to use Bluetooth audio, primarily. Can you comment on how well that works (assuming that there's no problem with the music input function sans line-in)?

Thanks again for the post and pics!
You may have already figured this out, but yes, the QCHon-3MK is incredibly easy to install. Ignore the RCA inputs on the harness; they're unnecessary in this setup (USB/iPod/line in work fine, as do the stock options). I also set this up primarily for A2DP and it's working great so far.

Just as a side note, I prefer a semi-hidden installation of things like this and put the screen on the panel with the accessory outlet and couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. Hope this helps.