2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to modify within warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
How to modify within warranty

Okay, so I was talking to a friend of mine who was a Nissan technician at a local dealer for a while. I was asking him if he knew a way to auccesfully modify a new car without voiding warranty. I understand that they have to prove that whatever mods I make caused the malfunction, but knowing Arkansas dealers, they'll find a way out. He told me that having the part installed by a Honda Master Technician will leave the warranty intact, as long as I keep the letter/proof that the Master Technician did the installation. My question is, could you not just have a regular Honda technician at a dealer do the same thing to keep the warranty intact and avoid the hassle? I'm looking to install an axle-back exhaust and an SRI later down the road, but I want my facts straight so I don't screw this up.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Here's the thing... you probably couldn't get a Honda Technician to even install that. Usually, if they a bit cautious about their jobs, they'll stick to Honda "approved" parts... and I doubt those two are.

My opinion is... if you want to keep your warranty, just don't do it. Or, if you're less honest... do it and change it back before showing any dealer/mechanic for warranty work.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:46 AM
yeah i agree. if you wanna make mods that change performance... you're probably gonna have to change it back and do a little bit of lying to keep the warranty. a dude i know that works at honda told me that if anything even looks aftermarket, they normally wouldn't even bother looking at it.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I have to say that my Honda Dealership Lester Raines Honda in South Charleston, WV are the bomb. They put on my JDM CF manifold cover and when the guys putting on my ICW Racing Rims got the balancing incorrect - they fixed it free of charge. They even called me on the last oil change to see if it was OK to fix the Good Luck cat hanging from my back tow hook because it was about to fall off and they did not want me to lose it. Wanted to know if it was OK to use a black zip tie so it would match my color theme!

Cat

Old 09-12-2010, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not even sure if my dealer-sold "crystal fusion" windshield warranty will be voided if I have the window tinted. I'm going to find out before I have it done.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:20 PM
My Honda dealer sells K&N products including the SRIs for some models. That way they can make a sale and possibly the install too.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Order the Mugen axel back from Honda, have them install it, and im sure a K&N air filter wouldnt hurt. With those mods, id say your safe.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
I'm looking at basic bolt-ons, really. Exhaust, intake, and maybe suspension Well, definitely suspension, at some point.

I believe I read somewhere that Mugen, Spoon, J's, and Showa Tuning, are all made by Showa. Mugen, I understand, is a "Honda approved" part, but if it's manufactured by Showa, wouldn't that in effect, make Spoon, J's, and Showa "Honda approved?"

Old 09-18-2010, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by insane_one
Order the Mugen axel back from Honda, have them install it, and im sure a K&N air filter wouldnt hurt. With those mods, id say your safe.
How much does the Mugen Axel-back go for from Honda?