2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Photo Blocker

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Photo Blocker

Has anybody tried spraying the license plate with Photo Blocker spray ?

Old 09-10-2010, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole. It is illegal to have here in Texas. Also I would suspect that if it was at night the light hitting the plate and blocking it would just cause the cop to pull you over. Not a good idea. Or even the office could take his flash light shine it on your plate and see it is on there. Just overall I wouldn't do it. I don't know anyone who has done this, but I can imagine why I don't know anyone who has done this...

Old 09-10-2010, 01:37 PM
As unattractive as it may be, ride around with an empty bike rack on you car. Most cameras only take pictures from behind (I am in NC so we only have one plate) and the rack covers it up. It is legal as far as I know to have a bike rack on your car.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Mythbusters did some trials of the various methods, IIRC they were mostly inconclusive. The only one's I've seen sort of work are the plastic covers that have a texture similar to on those holographic cards that change the image when tilted. They are highly illegal though and cops HATE them.

Having any of the methods on your car though just screams "hey, I'm doing illegal stuff, check me out!" And the cameras and lights these days are very good, most of the time the spray methods actually make it easier for the cameras to make out the numbers, its like increasing the contrast for the camera. You're not going to blind (overexpose) the camera, so you need to change what it sees, and those methods are obvious (covers) to law enforcement.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
I'm a firm believer of "If you're going to do something, do it right." and like that spray I wouldn't trust. It seems like something too good to be true. If I (hypothetically speaking) were to do something that would block my plate's visibility, it would be something I know would work like this...

YouTube - Bullrun 2006: License Plate Test

...and just for the record, I'm not trying to provoke people to do that mod. That video is just an example of "If you're going to do something, do it right." Anyone who would perform a mod like this would more than likely perform some illegal act.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
lol nothing screams "yes I break the law regularly" like a blocker mod! Sort of like having a radar detector right up front on the dash for all to see.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by MIAMIFIT
Has anybody tried spraying the license plate with Photo Blocker spray ?

never tried the stuff...but got a good review here...
YouTube - Photo Radar red light camera license plate spray

Old 09-10-2010, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
All were proven to not work on Mythbusters except Jamie's plate "flipper" at the end of the episode.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
All were proven to not work on Mythbusters except Jamie's plate "flipper" at the end of the episode.
Actually I beg to differ, it does actually work. I swear I read about it years back, but can't recall. HOWEVER here is the scam. The photo has to be taken at a certain angle, lighting condition, and distance to work. The problem is the reality that the camera's are placed in different locations and the cars are doing different speeds, during different times of day, and in different lanes. It's never going to be just right. Sort of like winning the lottery, technically you can win, but more likely 99.9% of the time, you lose. Don't buy it expecting it to work, if anything it makes a fun gag gift for your local ticket magnet buddy.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Don't run red lights and ya don't need to spray anything on your licence plates.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bmxman
lol nothing screams "yes I break the law regularly" like a blocker mod! Sort of like having a radar detector right up front on the dash for all to see.
I use this more to be aware of when speed trapping is taking place, kinda sucks that it doesn't work from behind. I know laser jammers on the otherhand are highly illegal, radar detectors are more frowned upon but not illegal (atleast where I stay)...

Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gynosis
I use this more to be aware of when speed trapping is taking place, kinda sucks that it doesn't work from behind. I know laser jammers on the otherhand are highly illegal, radar detectors are more frowned upon but not illegal (atleast where I stay)...
Valentine One radar and laser detectors

^ Check that out, don't flinch when you see the price though.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
or you could not speed

Old 09-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by peoples1234
As unattractive as it may be, ride around with an empty bike rack on you car. Most cameras only take pictures from behind (I am in NC so we only have one plate) and the rack covers it up. It is legal as far as I know to have a bike rack on your car.
It is illegal to have an obscured license plate. Eventually you will encounter a cop that has a peeve about racks blocking plates and you will get a ticket.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
It is illegal to have an obscured license plate. Eventually you will encounter a cop that has a peeve about racks blocking plates and you will get a ticket.

^^This^^

Pretty much every jurisdiction has the it worded that way. Basically a plate has to be easily readable, period. If it's unreadable, because of a spay, cover, or any sort of racking, your in violation and just begging for the hassle.

And I've seen bike racks where it has spot to place your plate when using the rack, since the rack will block it's ability to view the plate.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
Cool.

I doubt a cop would ever bother someone about an obscured license plate from a bike rack, but I'm sure there is one out there.

I don't ride around with a rack on my car, and where I live in NC (I am not sure about the entire state) they have disabled all the cameras. A judge ruled that the revenue from the cameras had to go to the schools, almost all of it. That did not leave enough money to pay the company that installed the cameras, so they were disconnected because the city did not want to pay to keep them running. All the more reason it was never about safety, but money.

I work in MD, and they have tons of cameras. Speed and Red light. This is a tactic I have seen the locals use, and it works. I have never seen a bike rack that has a place for a license plate, so I doubt people really get into trouble for it. Besides, one plate ticket every now and then is better than $75 every week for a camera ticket.