2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

do you think modded fits get profiled by the police?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
do you think modded fits get profiled by the police?

Ive been followed a few times and Gotten one speeding ticket and a rolling stop sign ticket...rolling stop really? thats weak...Im starting to think they are picking on me because Im a little modded, Im considering toning it down...oddly enough Im not even that aggressively modded...so I dunno...but I hate feeling like Im singled out because I want a little personality on my whip....

Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Any modded car grabs attention, people and cops that's why I don't do many visible mods

Old 09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper
Ive been followed a few times and Gotten one speeding ticket and a rolling stop sign ticket...rolling stop really? thats weak...Im starting to think they are picking on me because Im a little modded, Im considering toning it down...oddly enough Im not even that aggressively modded...so I dunno...but I hate feeling like Im singled out because I want a little personality on my whip....
You're whining about getting a ticket for a rolling stop? You are aware of the fact that that is a moving violation, right? It might be a small thing, but it's still a legit ticket. You should know better than that, and if you really did it, then you deserved it. They're picking on you because you're breaking the law. Also, the fact that you're modded (though you use weird terms like "not even that aggressively modded") makes you an easy target.

Seeing how you're in SoCal, if you read the papers, there was a recent situation in Huntington Beach where a car stopped at a stop sign waiting to make a right, but the car behind him didn't make a full stop but they rear ended up, which caused the front car to hit a woman pushing a stroller while also being with another child. She and the child are still in critical condition, but the toddler in the stroller died. So make a full stop next time.

So to avoid police, you can follow a couple of easy steps -- don't break the law, and try not to stand out so much. Believe it or not, it works pretty well.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
I think rims probably draw the most attention.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Well it is the beginning of the month....

Speeding...well it happens and you just got lucky

Rolling stop? Well. like deeznuts said, it is a moving violation and you shouldve checked beforehand. Maybe its your roof rack attracting attention?

Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 PM
California stops will get attention no matter what you drive

The PNW is pretty lax on cars.. though if you have a fart can and it's loud.. you will get stopped in many cities. Beyond that.. maybe tint though most places can't cite you anyways since they lack the tools to measure light transmittance.

Biggest thing.. ditch the ghey rice stickers and fart can.. and your profile will go way down

Old 09-08-2010, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
hahahah rolling stop is NOT weak. those are the most common things cops look out for, cali rollers and speeders.

if you think cops are picking on you, dont draw attention to yourself by breaking the law. just abide by the rules and quit complaining.

p.s. cops dont really care if your car or any other car is modded. as long as you dont make an asshat of yourself on the streets youre invisible.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 AM
I ride a bright red crotchrocket, complete with a helmet with flaming skulls on the sides, and often wear a bright yellow vest for extra visibility to the unattentive, texting/smoking/drinking/eating masses of the car-driving world..

I haven't been pulled/ticketed on there, and that's way more attention grabbing than an economy car with a few fashion accessories.

There are two tricks. One is to not make stupid traffic mistakes that make you conspicuous (it's not hard to tell that your wheels have not stopped turning at a stop-sign. I can fairly easily stop, and start again without putting my feet down, but since many riders get wobbly at low speeds and can't do that, it may appear to a cop who either doesn't ride or doesn't ride well that I'm not stopping, so I always drop my left foot for good measure.) Speeding is trickier - you can drive with the prevailing speed of traffic all day and never get pulled, but you should be cognizant of what other traffic is doing...

which carries me to #2:

Pay attention to your surroundings. Police tend to hide in the same places pretty frequently. You can usually spot brakelights ahead as drivers see the previously hidden vehicle and suddenly slow to 5-10 under the speed limit. Use those spidey senses.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
hmm... my Fit is pretty modified at least exterior wise and I have had no problems with the cops!

Old 09-09-2010, 02:48 AM
Drive normally and they'll leave you alone?

Old 09-09-2010, 03:48 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
yea man think about it. if you didn't roll that stop sign, you wouldn't have gotten cited for rolling the stop sign. your ticket doesn't say "driving a modified car."

Old 09-09-2010, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
I see people all of the time that are used to rolling through stop signs, it is a dangerous habit to get into. If you can't see a cop then another car that you should be stopping for isn't likely to register either and a motorcyclist or bicyclist is surely not going to register... My car is loud, lowered, tinted has after market wheels and louvers on the hood. I got pulled over and ticketed at the top of 3rd gear on a farm to market road going up hill around a curve to keep from getting tailgated by a bubba in a Dodge Ram truck that was moving up fast but not in sight of the state trooper... That's it, cops aren't too concerned about hassling people that take pride in what they drive.... Look at all of the Harleys with size stupid rear tires and loud pipes that don't get messed with.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I see people all of the time that are used to rolling through stop signs, it is a dangerous habit to get into. If you can't see a cop then another car that you should be stopping for isn't likely to register either and a motorcyclist or bicyclist is surely not going to register... My car is loud, lowered, tinted has after market wheels and louvers on the hood. I got pulled over and ticketed at the top of 3rd gear on a farm to market road going up hill around a curve to keep from getting tailgated by a bubba in a Dodge Ram truck that was moving up fast but not in sight of the state trooper... That's it, cops aren't too concerned about hassling people that take pride in what they drive.... Look at all of the Harleys with size stupid rear tires and loud pipes that don't get messed with.
You were hauling ass at the top of third gear so was well deserved eh.

I could retire, wait I am if I could ticket all the rolling stops at the end of our residential street. I am 4th house from corner. I am bad for doing the rolling stop at this one. Hardly any traffic except local home owners so it is surprising when you have to do the "Oh Shit" there is a car coming and slam on the brakes.

Obey the traffic laws ans they will eave you alone.

OK I got go speed off to haul groceries in the highly modified Fit. Zoom Zoom.

Last edited by Black3sr; 09-09-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
Any Modded car will grab attention.

As for the rolling stops, Police need to ticket MORE on things like that. They should ticket on other things like no turn signals, tailgating, stuff like that instead of speeding. Its things like rolling stops and turning without signaling that end up getting pedestrians or others seriously hurt.

Stop... look for 2 seconds... Go.

~SB

Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJIN
p.s. cops dont really care if your car or any other car is modded. as long as you dont make an asshat of yourself on the streets youre invisible.
Exactly. When these kinds of things get posted on an internet forum, I always imagine the OP to be a teenager and doesn't realize that their driving is the problem. People of any age rarely lack insight into their own behavior, so it's kind of pointless to make a part of the equation.

Stickers would be at the top of my list for cops to look out for, if anything. And loud stereos, and botched HID installations. In Texas, the noise level part hardly comes into play due to pick up trucks and exhausts, which I can't drive a mile without hearing one of.

Last edited by hayden; 09-09-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper
maybe you wouldn't get tickets if you didn't break the law. just saying.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
When I was driving around with Kwsc and straight pipe I got followed but thats obvious haha

Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
The cops around me know my car now.. they see me everyday and my car stands out. I follow the laws and make sure I make full stops. I'm also more cautious if I notice police around. I don't get followed my HKS exhaust isn't to loud and they have more to worry about with all the STI's and and Subis whippin around.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I think it's safe to say you draw attention to you car when it's modded and when you don't follow the letter of the law you've given probable cause to be stopped.

I don't think there's any question police look closer at busted up cars/tuned cars etc.

It's the same reason I make sure my headlights/tail lights work, if not you've given cause to be stopped/searched etc.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Anything out of the normal gets profiled even by me!

Quick Reply: do you think modded fits get profiled by the police?