2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CRZ Test Drive and My M/T Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member
CRZ Test Drive and My M/T Fit

I am not planning to purchase another car soon. But what the heck, got bored yesterday and went to test drive a CRZ with my wife. It is free after all.

The dealer only has a few CVT available, no M/T. We went for a 15 minutes drive.

I like the look of the car. Inside layout is sharper than the Fit. But I found it noisy. Road noise level on freeway is about the same (or worse) as my sound deadened Fit (trunk, hood and 4 doors). Acceleration to freeway is about the same as the Fit. But definitely I feel more torque at lower RPM in sport mode. Overall it was a nice ride.

We will go and try out the 6 speed M/T later. That will be a real comparison to my Fit.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Cool about what price are they starting at I was looking at them but don't know to much

Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 AM
They start at $19,200.00

Old 09-06-2010, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vwli
I am not planning to purchase another car soon. But what the heck, got bored yesterday and went to test drive a CRZ with my wife. It is free after all.
DANGER! DANGER! WILL ROBINSON...you know how many people say that and then end up driving home with a new car and car payment? If you aren't "planning" but you're bored and entertaining yourself by going for test drives all I'll say is get good value for your trade in, and enjoy the new ride....

Test drives at dealerships are the man made equivalent of carniverous plants in nature. Just like a Venus Fly Trap or Pitcher Plant...they are going to remain still, seem harmless...lure you in...then GOTCHA....

Dealerships count on the psychology of "Just Looking".."Free Test Drive" and "I'm bored, I want change".

The best way to resist temptation? Avoid temptation. If you don't want to end up buying a new car...don't stop at dealerships to look.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
I drove both the 6MT and CVT versions. I found my Fit 5MT outperforms the CR-Z in power response and handling. Though my test drive was somewhat limited, I didn't see the low end torque from the CR-Z as better than the Fit. The Fit has more oomph and responds quicker.

I did a few mild lane change maneuvers and again, the Fit does it better with more of a planted composure and quicker reaction, while the CR-Z wobbled a tad with less steering feel.

I had a beef with the CR-Z's shift feel. It reminded me of the Civic Si's – lifeless with no notchiness.

I loved the steering wheel design, interior fit and finish was a step up from the Fit's, and the ride quality was less jittery than the Fit's.

Even if the 2 cars were priced equally, hands–down I would choose my Fit any day.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
DANGER! DANGER! WILL ROBINSON...you know how many people say that and then end up driving home with a new car and car payment? If you aren't "planning" but you're bored and entertaining yourself by going for test drives all I'll say is get good value for your trade in, and enjoy the new ride....

Test drives at dealerships are the man made equivalent of carniverous plants in nature. Just like a Venus Fly Trap or Pitcher Plant...they are going to remain still, seem harmless...lure you in...then GOTCHA....

Dealerships count on the psychology of "Just Looking".."Free Test Drive" and "I'm bored, I want change".

The best way to resist temptation? Avoid temptation. If you don't want to end up buying a new car...don't stop at dealerships to look.
You just have to try a car you can't afford...
It's not really honest but it's not a big deal.
I'm only 20 so I test drove most of the sub compact cars. And they were all boring so it's not like I would sell my MR2 turbo for one of these...

Old 09-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I'd have a hard time even justifying the CR-Z when my manual transmission Fit is regularly getting 37mpg now. Not only that but at a $4500 price difference.. and it has less space.

The CR-Z has a nice look.. but honestly, it should've at least been R18 powered.. if not with an SI option with a K20.

I want to test drive a 6 speed manual, but for the cost over the Fit without any real tangible benefit.. I'd pass.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sherpa
I'd have a hard time even justifying the CR-Z when my manual transmission Fit is regularly getting 37mpg now. Not only that but at a $4500 price difference.. and it has less space.

The CR-Z has a nice look.. but honestly, it should've at least been R18 powered.. if not with an SI option with a K20.

I want to test drive a 6 speed manual, but for the cost over the Fit without any real tangible benefit.. I'd pass.
Plus, at 28.5 mpg overall and 27.4 mpg for the CR-Z in normal driving during Motor Trend's comparo test, the Fit gets better FE to boot, achieving 35.4 mpg in Motor Trend's latest comparo.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by broody
You just have to try a car you can't afford...
It's not really honest but it's not a big deal.
I'm only 20 so I test drove most of the sub compact cars. And they were all boring so it's not like I would sell my MR2 turbo for one of these...
To each his own. It's still "dangerous entertainment" IMO.

A car salesperson is going to tell you you can afford something maybe you can't...easy payments? Great financing offer? Heard that before....

Bottom line, dealerships exist to sell cars...hang around a dealership and they will try to sell you a car...be it in your price range, outside your price range...new or used.

All this is fine, and just the way of the world...but be aware...it's a lot safer if you really DON'T want to find yourself with a new car and perhaps new payments....to simply NOT go to the dealership for casual non-obligatory looksies.....

Old 09-07-2010, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
You just have to be a bit smart.

Cheap used cars are much more dangerous to try imo. Since I tried a Honda beat for sale (for 4.5k$) I can't stop thinking about it. Damn MR2, I don't want it anymore.

And it depends of the vendor/customer I think. I don't look like someone with money probably, neither my mother (she bought a new fit, so she isn't poor). We stopped at the honda dealer to see the crz together, the vendor talked to us a bit but didn't offer a test drive, nor to see the prices (he just said the base price and that's it, didn't talked of the financial or anything), etc. Actually he didn't look like wanting to sell any crz... Maybe it was just him or because the car was new.

Last edited by broody; 09-07-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Saw one this past Monday, didn't drive it (dealership was closed). It certainly looks very cool for that segment of cars. Price is right, $19K for a sporty 2 door hatch is not bad. Maybe I'll test drive one one day. The Fit and CRZ is apples to oranges. Fit is all about utility, I can't give up the utility for the 2 seat of the CRZ. I do think it's a great car for first time car buyer like a teenager.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
I saw my first CR-Z yesterday. It's striking, yes but I still much prefer the versatility, looks and performance of my Fit. Besides, doesn't the M/T scoot to 60 in 8.3 seconds, faster than the CR-Z.

Had they replaced the hybrid crap with the Civic engine, or better still the K20 out of the Si, I'd be down there now trading my Fit in, lol.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red 05
Besides, doesn't the M/T scoot to 60 in 8.3 seconds, faster than the CR-Z.
Though our 5MT Fit does 60 in 8.3 secs, (Motor Trend AND Car and Driver) Motor Trend recorded the identical number for the CR-Z, though during my CR-Z drive I felt our Fit had noticeably more oomph, more response, so It'll be interesting to see another CR-Z 6MT 0-60 test.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:53 PM
I just purchased my Fit Sport Sunday. There was a black 6 sp. manual CR-Z in the show room. If the CR-Z was not a hybred I would have left with that. Reminded me of my old black CRX Si.