2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

what grade of gas do you give to your fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Honda doesn't recommend the use of regular either unless you consider them saying that the minimum required fuel is 87 octane is recommendation that you use it.... The way I see it that is a statement that it can be used if that is all that is available.... There are a lot of threads on this topic and if you take the time to look there is communication from Honda of America that substantiates what I have said... I am not going to search it out for you and I doubt seriously if you will either because like I said, there are a lot of threads about this.... After all it is a free choice thing as to what an owner does with their car that needs to be personally evaluated by the owner based on his or her experience with that car and not something they have driven in the past.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Honda recommends 87 octane or greater because less than 87 is not advised for this engine not that premium should or should not be used.

I suspect that fuel companies are promoting their highest octane with magic detergents because cars that don't require higher octane can carbon up with the use of the higher octane fuels without the higher detergents. I wonder if we would be having this discussion if the higher octane fuels were not called premium.

Who knows what fuel Honda uses to run the EPA fuel mileage test?

Old 09-12-2010, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Honda doesn't recommend the use of regular either unless you consider them saying that the minimum required fuel is 87 octane is recommendation that you use it.... The way I see it that is a statement that it can be used if that is all that is available.... There are a lot of threads on this topic and if you take the time to look there is communication from Honda of America that substantiates what I have said... I am not going to search it out for you and I doubt seriously if you will either because like I said, there are a lot of threads about this.... After all it is a free choice thing as to what an owner does with their car that needs to be personally evaluated by the owner based on his or her experience with that car and not something they have driven in the past.
oh nonsense.

link (about 1/3 down the page)
EPA Mileage Estimates[3] /Capacities
Fit : Fit Sport
5-Speed Manual (City/Highway/Combined) 27/33/29 : 27/33/29 (Models without Navi)
5-Speed Automatic (City/Highway/Combined) 28/35/31 : 27/33/30
Crankcase (qt) 4.4 : 4.4
Coolant System (qt) 5.1 : 5.1
Fuel (gal) 10.6 : 10.6
Required Fuel Regular Unleaded : Regular Unleaded
Sure it's free choice, but as long as you're free to express your opinion, I'm free to quote honda and other reliable sources.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Okay, this is not definitive.

As I have already stated I basicly run regular at either Chevron or Shell. But in less than 6 months I'd say I have noticed this difference. On a full tank of Chevron regular? I pretty much get the combined average EPA for The Fit. About 31 mpg.

Everytime I fill with Shell? My MPG seem to drop. I'll get 28 mpg.

I think both have Ethanol...so I really have no idea why. I'll keep monitoring and see if it's just a fluke...I mostly go Chevron anyway. But so far, every fill with Shell has resulted in an inexplicable drop of about 3-4 mpg on the tank.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
I use 87 on my GE8. 76 or Chevron.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
I have had problems with Shell also and now switched to Valero.. My car ran somewhat unevenly at a constant throttle position opening that I could hear but not feel with Shell in the tank but it seems to like Valero and my fuel mileage is up by 2MPG.. Other cars and motorcycles I have owned were the same way with the same fuels in their tanks also.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
oh nonsense.

link (about 1/3 down the page)

Sure it's free choice, but as long as you're free to express your opinion, I'm free to quote honda and other reliable sources.
That is advertising propaganda nonsense.... Read your owners manual like a responsible person and quit grasping for straws.... 87 octane is on the edge as the lowest octane fuel that, Honda states in the owners manual, can be used. That is not a recommendation to use the stuff but a warning not to use fuel with less octane... I don't understand how an intelligent person reading that could interpret it any other way than it is stated. You source of information also list the fuel capacity wrong as well. Filling to the top takes 13.4 gallons.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 09-13-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
I disagree.

If it were advertising nonsense, the same website for pilots and ridgelines would not state:

Required Fuel[3] Regular Unleaded

[3] Maximum towing capacity for 4WD models is 4,500 lbs. Premium unleaded fuel is recommended when towing above 3,500 lbs. Maximum towing capacity for 2WD models is 3,500 lbs. Towing requires the addition of the Honda accessory towing kit, trailer harness and hitch ball. Trailer harness is standard on Touring models. Please see your Honda dealer for details.
It's technical specifications.

I'm open to opposing opinions, but you have yet to link anything supporting yours.

You source of information also list the fuel capacity wrong as well. Filling to the top takes 13.4 gallons.
Are you suggesting overfilling? From the owner's manual that you're so fond of misinterpreting (page 199):
4. Stop filling the tank after the fuel
nozzle automatically clicks off. Do
not try to ‘‘ top off ’’ the tank. Leave
some room for the fuel to expand
with temperature changes.
You're not very good at this.

Last edited by Steve244; 09-14-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Partner my 37 year old kid had the same mentality as you about premium fuel but unlike you he was blessed with a father that encouraged him to think with an open mind... He owns and drives a Ridgeline, decided to try premium fuel and was telling me a couple of days ago that the difference in fuel mileage and acceleration was dramatically positive. As for filling to the top of the fill spout, I think that if it presented a problem I would be aware of it after 50 months of doing so with this car and 45 years of doing so with the other cars I have owned.... I am not good at doing what, dealing with trolls?

Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Partner my 37 year old kid had the same mentality as you about premium fuel but unlike you he was blessed with a father that encouraged him to think with an open mind... He owns and drives a Ridgeline, decided to try premium fuel and was telling me a couple of days ago that the difference in fuel mileage and acceleration was dramatically positive. As for filling to the top of the fill spout, I think that if it presented a problem I would be aware of it after 50 months of doing so with this car and 45 years of doing so with the other cars I have owned.... I am not good at doing what, dealing with trolls?
Automotive mechanics.

Just a single reference. If you are as certain as you seem to be, you should be able to back your opinion with a reference from a reputable site. Just one.

Here, use this: google "benefits of premium fuel over regular"

From the first hit (Scientific American):

But for standard cars on the road today, purchasing premium gasoline is simply paying a premium for a fuel that delivers no added benefits. "If you think you need it," Green says, "you're being very eccentric."
Now you try.

Last edited by Steve244; 09-14-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
OK, I suppose you owned an automobile repair shop when you were 22 years old.... You talk about things that don't pertain to the Fit and when I quote from the owners manual in regards to fuel recommendation you ignore or for some other reason don't acknowledge what it says... I have been wrenching for 49 years if I count the Clinton 2 stroke motor on my go-kart... You can spend all of the time you want doing searches. I have over 40 years of working on cars and motorcycles some of which you have probably never seen except maybe in pictures.... I'll bet you take your car to the dealer or someone else to have it serviced or repaired. Instead of telling people what to believe or not based on what you find in online searches try forming opinions based on real life experience.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 09-14-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
I gave up wrenching when they introduced computers to cars. (What was that? about 1980?)

I do rely on information from reputable sources to guide my decisions.

Just one reference. Please?

From the Car Talk guys (some real old farts).

Q. My owner's manual says my car will run just fine on regular, unleaded gas. Will "treating" it to premium gas provide any benefit?
A. Let's be perfectly clear about this:

NO!

A. The only thing you'll be benefiting are the portfolios of impoverished oil company executives.

And before you do that, consider that Exxon-Mobil earned $39.5 billion dollars in 2006 — a world record profit. It's not like they need you giving them a hand out.

Last edited by Steve244; 09-14-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
What the hell in the way of reference do you want? What is your motivation? Your car either runs better or it doesn't on a particular type of fuel... It happens that my car without the speed equipment ran better and you wouldn't know if yours does or doesn't if you don't experience using different brands and octane ratings.... You are very selective about your respectable sources, are you not capable of practical application, thinking for yourself and making a decision based on that alone.... There are a lot of people online presenting their opinions based on what so called reliable "reputable" sources say instead of finding out for themselves... Corporate executives are going to rob us blind one way or the other, I have had to struggle to accept that. If saying a car uses low octane fuel in order to sell it and it sells corporate executives are getting rich... I can't argue with anyone that says he has better or worse results than I do with a certain product and any intelligent person that didn't have some abnormal motivation wouldn't do so either.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 09-14-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
What the hell in the way of reference do you want? What is your motivation?
Objectivity. Yours is lacking.

You are very selective about your respectable sources, are you not capable of practical application, thinking for yourself and making a decision based on that alone.... There are a lot of people online presenting their opinions based on what so called reliable "reputable" sources say instead of finding out for themselves...
Fine, so you shouldn't have any problem finding one and quoting/linking it.

Here's another:

From USA today:
"I go back and forth, and I'm hard-pressed to notice" whether there's regular or premium in the tank, says Jeff Jetter, principal chemist at Honda Research and Development Americas. He drives an Acura designed for premium...

...Premium, in fact, sometimes is worse fuel than regular. It resists knock because it's harder to ignite than lower-octane fuels. As a result, some engines won't start as quickly or run as smoothly on premium, notes Gibbs, the SAE fuel expert.

..."No customer should ever be deluded into thinking there's any value in buying a higher grade of octane than we specify," says Toyota's Paul Williamsen, technical expert and trainer.

Last edited by Steve244; 09-14-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Premium gas is more efficient at lower rpm the kind of thing you do to get better mileage. It thirty percent avgas and is purer than regular. You might not need it but the ones that are getting low MPG has an option. I get better MPG and better power too.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Car talk guys:
Q. But, won't premium increase the performance of my car's engine?
No.

A. Higher octane provides no additional performance for cars that are designed to run on regular gas.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
It produces more torque and runs leaner. Maybe not a lot but does. The timing advances due to a leaner burn.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
I'm retired what is reason for all of the time you have to spend in effort to convince a person that they can't make an assessment based on fuel mileage figures and throttle setting at a given speed over a known route.... Just because someone else has a car that doesn't do as well as mine on premium doesn't make me want to convince him he is wrong.... If you want somebody to trust, trust yourself.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
When I go on my trip to the Dragon I'm going to fill up with premium and check the mileage using 93. Now I've got solid data going back and fourth to Detroit, but I feel the trip from Chicago to my first fuel stop, probably just outside of Kentucky, should yield something similar because Indiana is pretty flat. I promise to drive the same way, right lane at 70 mph with the cruize on

Old 09-27-2010, 01:58 PM
i'm not an engineer by any means, but if you have a high compression ( 10.4 :1 compression ratio ; four valves per cylinder)-from motortrend.com, or a force induction engine it is recomended that you use premium gas 91 octane+ prevents predetonation for peak perfomance.

Quick Reply: what grade of gas do you give to your fit?