2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

what grade of gas do you give to your fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I even use premium in my lawn equipment... I have an Echo chainsaw that has to be over 30 years old and 16 year old Husqvarna chain saw and commercial grade weed eater that crank up with ease every time and have never had a the plugs changed.
Me too and I did mine and a neighbors 1 foot grass front and back on 1 tank. No way I would have done that with regular gas. I even use it in my snow thrower and with 2 cycle oil.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
Speaking of grass, it's growing too damn fast this year, im getting really really sick of cutting it every 4 days. Shit is rediculous.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
The vegetation here is as high as my waste or taller. Looking out from the window it is looking like the jungle is going to swallow up everything... On Google maps my place is hardly visible.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm anxious to try high octane...I've been running on the same tank of gas for a week and a half and still have half a tank to burn. I just installed a k and n a few days ago and what a noticable difference. I loved my fit before but it needs to grow a set of balls. The throttle response from the engine breathing more helped big time. The next day or two I'm having a magnaflow straight through exhaust installed and i can see if that helps any on this half a tank before I switch to high octane. I would think the combo of the engine breathing more, having cleaner gas to burn, and getting the exhuast gases out quicker can only lead to a better drive and a longer lasting engine.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
You might want to consider ordering an electronic throttle controller if you want more throttle response.. They work surprisingly well and make driving a lot more fun or economical when in the slower than stock response economy modes.. The slower mode makes driving on slick roads not as stressful also.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
You know, when I first got my fit about 2 years ago, I tried premium fuel a couple fill-ups and didn't see a difference in mileage. I'm gonna try again for the hell of it and see if it has changed. I now have 80K from 52K when I bought it.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Texas Coyote, I have a 2010 what electronic throttle controller would you recommend? ty

Old 05-16-2011, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Panson's Race ETC. Tex has it, and I got mine after his recommendation. Very happy with it.

Bear in mind you won't make more peak horsepower from this, but you stand to pick up some torque where it counts.

Premium fuel, cold plugs and your VE mods will compliment it nicely.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
I need to get a throttle controller too when I get the funds. I am getting a 3 tank average of 38.3 with Amoco ultimate at 42 mph in my Civic. That really good since the weather has been all over the place Hot for 4 days and then cold and rainy. I expect to average 40 or so all summer with regular oil.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
You might want to consider ordering an electronic throttle controller if you want more throttle response.. They work surprisingly well and make driving a lot more fun or economical when in the slower than stock response economy modes.. The slower mode makes driving on slick roads not as stressful also.
I wish I just needed an etc I need to get a boost controller capable of throttle position boost control. Part throttle fine control is getting difficult and I'm only dd'ing 10 psi. Nothing worse than putting in 25% throttle, crossing the boost threshold and finding yourself going far faster than you intended to! Gets scary when I'm trying to apply a fine balance of power in the middle of a turn. Apply some throttle to transition the weight back, and then suddenly cross boost, spin tires, understeer, let off gas, snap oversteer, lots of cussing.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Tex, I was looking into what Japan uses and found a lot of info. Your right when you said 95 ron octane is the biggest seller which would be 91 octane here.

http://wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/jsac/analsci/special/077.pdf

http://www.anl.gov/PCS/acsfuel/prepr...10-02_0303.pdf

http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr09-10/engl...1-2532-6-e.pdf This one talks about using octane higher than 95 ron and shows how octane ratings ratings are going up across the world.

Its all about quality and making sure knock is limited because the electronic octane(knock sensor) has a limit.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I wish I just needed an etc I need to get a boost controller capable of throttle position boost control. Part throttle fine control is getting difficult and I'm only dd'ing 10 psi. Nothing worse than putting in 25% throttle, crossing the boost threshold and finding yourself going far faster than you intended to! Gets scary when I'm trying to apply a fine balance of power in the middle of a turn. Apply some throttle to transition the weight back, and then suddenly cross boost, spin tires, understeer, let off gas, snap oversteer, lots of cussing.
That sounds pretty insane

Old 07-09-2011, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
That sounds pretty insane
Looking back the main problem was that my wastegate reference line was hooked up to the intake manifold. This had some benefits but it murdered part throttle drivability since the turbo would keep spinning all the way until the manifold itself was at full boost.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:06 PM
I will fill with 87 octane gas from any of the retailers listed here...

Top Tier Gasoline

Old 07-09-2011, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
I filled with 87 today just as an experiment and it destroyed my NA tune.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I filled with 87 today just as an experiment and it destroyed my NA tune.
Sorry to hear that, found something that explains why. http://www.nt.ntnu.no/users/skoge/pr...99_FrC14_4.pdf

Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
After 22 pages of discussion I doubt anyone cares, but I used 91 octane gas for 4 fill ups and then switched back to 87 octane for the next 4. Skipping the first tank of each to allow for the ecu to adjust to the different octane, and driving under remarkably similar conditions for the whole trial I got about nearly identical mileage but naturally the 91 octane gas costs about 8% more so I'm sticking with the 87 octane. My cost per mile with 91 octane was about $0.10 and with 87 octane it is about $0.09. That settles it for me.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:16 PM
you must consider driving environment, and driving style.

If either or both are not properly used, gas mileage withh flatline and suffer.

Sounds like you need to concentrate on driving style a bit more. Learn when its appropriate to hit the pedal, how many rpms are needed, etc...

For an apples to oranges comparison, I have my mother trying 93 octane in her CRZ since I was on leave late november/early december, and a few weeks ago called me to say she enjoys the results. She is not a granny driver, but she does drive very safe, and if its any reason to believe her, she did make a 1998 civic LX keep its factory original clutch until 210k miles, and even in the wisconsin winter still managed over 450 miles per tank in that thing.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ukemike
After 22 pages of discussion I doubt anyone cares, but I used 91 octane gas for 4 fill ups and then switched back to 87 octane for the next 4. Skipping the first tank of each to allow for the ecu to adjust to the different octane, and driving under remarkably similar conditions for the whole trial I got about nearly identical mileage but naturally the 91 octane gas costs about 8% more so I'm sticking with the 87 octane. My cost per mile with 91 octane was about $0.10 and with 87 octane it is about $0.09. That settles it for me.
Actually, that was the entire point of this thread. I don't expect you to read all 22 pages, but the consensus of the more reasonable and open-minded users here is basically this:

your mileage may vary.

Yes, it is well-documented that the Fit engine runs a bit better with 93 octane fuel, but not everyone gets enough benefit to make it worthwhile.

People drive differently.
Someone else's bone-stock GE may be very different from my modified GD.
In some places, 93 octane fuel costs maybe 30 cents more per gallon than 87, while in other places the cost is nearly identical.

You did the right thing: trying it out, checking the cost/benefit ratio, and posting the results.

Mine were very different from yours, so that's why I came to a different decision. Each person does what works for their situation.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
There is not going to be a noticeable change in performance or fuel mileage from using higher octane fuel unless you drive under conditions where you are likely to find that your ECU is pulling back the ignition timing advance and going into open loop mode...

Quick Reply: what grade of gas do you give to your fit?