2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Gear selection and fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Gear selection and fuel economy

What does it mean when people say always use the highest gear possible for better fuel economy. Is that only true when I am not accelerating? There's a speed range for each gear, if I use a higher gear in a lower speed range, would that save fuel if I maintain constant speed, and if I accelerate more slowly using a higher gear? Or to ask it another way, if i shift from 1st gear at 10 mph directly to 5th gear, and accelerate very slowly to achieve 70mph, would that be more or less fuel efficient than if I shifted sequentially at regular shift points to achieve 70mph? I realize time used and distance traveled may not be the same for these 2 cases, but if you know what I am asking...

Old 09-02-2010, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Shift low... but not TOOO low. Lugging the engine (like shifting to 5th at 10mph) is VERY hard on the engine. The insane lack of torque also means shifting real low really isn't possible either. The rule of thumb for good fuel economy is to keep it under 3000rpms for shifting to the next gear and don't mash on the gas to get it to 3k, then shift but to come up gradually. (but not so gradually, the people behind you are pissed off and flashing their lights). Also, maintain some economical techniques like planning ahead; don't be on the gas all the way to the stop sign and then jam on the brakes. Let the engine do some of the braking for you. Accelerate gently downhill when you know you have an uphill to tackle.

I'll repeat... don't shift too low as it will lug the engine. Replacing an engine is much more expensive than obtaining that extra 1-2mpg you MIGHT achieve.

As a FYI, I'm at 38mpg lifetime with almost 0 highway miles. Rural Country roads and towns.

~SB

Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Try shifting between 2000rpm to 2500rpm and step very easy on the accelerator pedal but make sure it is safe when doing this.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Shift low... but not TOOO low. Lugging the engine (like shifting to 5th at 10mph) is VERY hard on the engine. The insane lack of torque also means shifting real low really isn't possible either. The rule of thumb for good fuel economy is to keep it under 3000rpms for shifting to the next gear and don't mash on the gas to get it to 3k, then shift but to come up gradually. (but not so gradually, the people behind you are pissed off and flashing their lights). Also, maintain some economical techniques like planning ahead; don't be on the gas all the way to the stop sign and then jam on the brakes. Let the engine do some of the braking for you. Accelerate gently downhill when you know you have an uphill to tackle.

I'll repeat... don't shift too low as it will lug the engine. Replacing an engine is much more expensive than obtaining that extra 1-2mpg you MIGHT achieve.

As a FYI, I'm at 38mpg lifetime with almost 0 highway miles. Rural Country roads and towns.

~SB
Good fuel economy doesn't mean to be slow at all. When I was more or less eco driving my firefly (ok it gets 40mpg without caring about economy but anyway) I was still faster than many cars at the red lights, don't know when I passed the gears (no tach) but probably around 3k or even a bit more, and with some gas pedal solicitation. The faster you get in cruising gear, the faster you get the minimal fuel consumption. And for a mild acceleration, I think it's better to go up to 4k rpm smoothly (or max of 75% throttle maybe) rather than pressing the gas to the floor but still shift at 2.5-3k. The real time mpg gage (and tbw) is a bit annoying imo, I don't know if it helps but I don't like it. It true on my mr2 turbo at least (when the turbo spool a lot the mpg drop significantly).

The lack of torque from the fit, + not so light (compared to an old civic or echo), + throttle by wire, make me feel like it's hard to get good mpg under normal acceleration, where it's really easy on an echo or my ex firefly to be gentle on gas but still manage to get enough fast to a cruising speed.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by fitowner10
What does it mean when people say always use the highest gear possible for better fuel economy. Is that only true when I am not accelerating? There's a speed range for each gear, if I use a higher gear in a lower speed range, would that save fuel if I maintain constant speed, and if I accelerate more slowly using a higher gear? Or to ask it another way, if i shift from 1st gear at 10 mph directly to 5th gear, and accelerate very slowly to achieve 70mph, would that be more or less fuel efficient than if I shifted sequentially at regular shift points to achieve 70mph? I realize time used and distance traveled may not be the same for these 2 cases, but if you know what I am asking...
I up-shift through the gears as I have with most other MT cars I've owned. The Fit has a particular pattern of shifting that confounds some, but it's really just about like every other MT - just takes a bit of getting used to.

What I do do is keep it in as high a gear as possible once I'm at running speed.
Most of my driving is in 5th gear, as much as possible.
Good MPG is directly related to low RPM.
I'm talking about normal every day driving, plain and simple.

It becomes obvious when you're in too high a gear - the engine will lag. I've not found this to be a problem with the Fit's gearing if you're sensible about it.

Nice thing is that at essentially any speed you can down-shift if needed for more power/speed. Again be sensible about it.

Economical driving is based upon your most regular driving habits. I'm finding that keeping an eye on the RPM and keeping that as low as practical gives me good return.

It's only a Fit_ and I love it!!

Old 09-03-2010, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
One thing that I really like about KWSC boost is not having to drop a gear or two to pass someone on 2 lane highways... Sometimes I will do it for kicks but I can stay in 5th gear even at low speeds in the city or town except when I have to stop or slow below 20 or 25... For a while I wasn't taking advantage of the new found power that way but since I have been my mileage is up 2 to 3 MPG.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
So if I don't need to accelerate, and I am driving at 35mph, is it better to drive in 5th? That said, it might be unrealistic to drive at constant speed for an extended period of time where I live. If I need to go faster and slower from time to time, is it better to stick with 3rd then for the 35mph scenario? thanks guys for your info.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitowner10
So if I don't need to accelerate, and I am driving at 35mph, is it better to drive in 5th? That said, it might be unrealistic to drive at constant speed for an extended period of time where I live. If I need to go faster and slower from time to time, is it better to stick with 3rd then for the 35mph scenario? thanks guys for your info.
Fourth gear might be better at a steady 35 mph.

When you break 40 though, using fifth gear becomes a possibility. The car is moving just fast enough for the tallest gear to pull without any lugging.

On lazy fuel-saving days I shift up just past 2000 RPM, but wind out fourth gear to 2500 so fifth can be used properly...and it just so happens that that shift point is 60 km/h (~40 mph).

Old 09-03-2010, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Select the gear which makes the car go best. You'll get to know it once you get used to your car.

Use the "fuel consumption" meter in your gauge cluster as a guide for best fuel economy. That's what it's for.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
Select the gear which makes the car go best. You'll get to know it once you get used to your car.

Use the "fuel consumption" meter in your gauge cluster as a guide for best fuel economy. That's what it's for.
^^AGREE^^ that little meter can be your best friend.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by broody
Good fuel economy doesn't mean to be slow at all. When I was more or less eco driving my firefly (ok it gets 40mpg without caring about economy but anyway) I was still faster than many cars at the red lights, don't know when I passed the gears (no tach) but probably around 3k or even a bit more, and with some gas pedal solicitation. The faster you get in cruising gear, the faster you get the minimal fuel consumption. And for a mild acceleration, I think it's better to go up to 4k rpm smoothly (or max of 75% throttle maybe) rather than pressing the gas to the floor but still shift at 2.5-3k. The real time mpg gage (and tbw) is a bit annoying imo, I don't know if it helps but I don't like it. It true on my mr2 turbo at least (when the turbo spool a lot the mpg drop significantly).

The lack of torque from the fit, + not so light (compared to an old civic or echo), + throttle by wire, make me feel like it's hard to get good mpg under normal acceleration, where it's really easy on an echo or my ex firefly to be gentle on gas but still manage to get enough fast to a cruising speed.
The majority of economy is lost under acceleration. Get on the gas to get to 60mph and you will have lower economy than if you are a bit more gentle. I'm not advocating Buick-style acceleration but being more gentle on the gas (under 3K) will net better economy gains than shifting at 4500rpm.

~SB

Old 09-05-2010, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not talking about going over 3k rpm either, but bogging at 1500rpm, or staying in 5th at 35mph and try to gain some speed, isn't good for both fuel economy and the engine. Best range imo is between 2200 and 3000 to accelerate, and from 1800-2000 or so at constant speed (depending on the speed/gear, how flat is the road).

Old 09-05-2010, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
I guess shifting a 7200RPM must be doing a number on my mileage figures then.... Believe it or not, a throttle controller like pw panson has will improve your fuel mileage a lot if you use the economy modes.... It slows throttle response much more than it already is and the difference is an easy 10% increase in economy.