2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit wins comparison Test, C&D

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Great find...props to the OP. One thing I noticed in the posted screen shot is a comment on the poor braking performance as echoed here on multiple threads...best first upgrade is stickier tires (especially if opting for aftermarket wheels).

Old 09-07-2010, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
Great find...props to the OP. One thing I noticed in the posted screen shot is a comment on the poor braking performance as echoed here on multiple threads...best first upgrade is stickier tires (especially if opting for aftermarket wheels).
Yeah, I wondered about that. I saw these two spec sheets...

Honda Fit
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...d2ca096002.pdf

vs

Ford Fiesta
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...9098503a12.pdf

And I wondered how the Fit would fare if it had the Michelin tires too. I mean, I understand there's a bit of a rule to test "AS-IS" because that's how you're getting it from the dealer, but you're going to replace the tires eventually (unless you sell/trade the car within the short life of the tires). So, if you're going to do a comparison, why not have a separate section where things are more "equalized." Things like the tires and motor oil are things that the owner will eventually have to get replaced and they can choose to go with another brand/model/size and they WILL affect performance. Motor oil is something is much more long term and probably less significant in a car vs car performance comparison.

So, then... how would the braking of the Fit compare to the Fiesta if they were both using the same brand/model tires? I'll leave size to factory just because basic owners wouldn't think too much about it. How would it handle on the skid pad? Things like that, I'm sure would change.

A side effect would now create three (or four) mini-comparisons instead of just one. 1st would be car vs car on stock. 2nd would be car vs car on same tires. 3rd would would be one car on stock vs itself on new tires. 4th would be the other car if you change both cars to a completely different tire than either original stocks (instead of changing just Fit to Michellin, change both to Yokohama or something).

Old 09-07-2010, 02:17 AM
It figures that Ford would take a great car and dumb it down for the American market. Why I don't know...

After merely sitting in a Fiesta I knew my Fit was better for me. I think for me, the best part about it is it's not too crazy with the interior design and is well laid out.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
I've seen a few Fiestas out and around. Look like rental cars. The 2 is downright boring looking, but probably fun to toss around.

Very happy that Honda is prevailing in light of the competition. If more of these reviews keep rolling in, there will be a sigh of relief at corporate.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
I just sat in a Fiesta with the 5MT...I couldn't believe the clunky giant shifter. It's operation seemed like from the days of yore - clunky and vague with slightly longer throws than the Fit's.

Also, though it's been ballyhooed that the materials inside are quality and upscale, the important surfaces that you touch, i.e. the knobs and handles, etc...are ridiculously cheap and feel like they're going to break of fall off.

BTW...I went across the street and sat in a new Miata and rowed the shifter. I've test driven this car a few years ago and considered the shift feel to be 2nd only to an S2000...but this time I think it may be my favorite. If a Miata was available as a Coupe, I would probably be driving it right now. But how I love my Fit!!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
I expected the north-American specs Fiesta to be a let-down vs. the European one, but the acceleration should still have bested the manual Fit. But it didn't.

On the other hand, the Fiesta did fare well on this comparison in other areas, most notably (to me at least) fit and finish. Seems Ford is now turning out cars of similar build quality as that of many Japanese cars rather than continuing to pump out the slapped-together crap common to Chrysler and GM.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Well that did it. I was kind of annoyed when I saw the reviews of Fiesta on youtube when they compared it to the Yaris and Fit. Everybody there was saying Fiesta here Fiesta there Fiesta that.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Aviator902S
I expected the north-American specs Fiesta to be a let-down vs. the European one, but the acceleration should still have bested the manual Fit. But it didn't.

On the other hand, the Fiesta did fare well on this comparison in other areas, most notably (to me at least) fit and finish. Seems Ford is now turning out cars of similar build quality as that of many Japanese cars rather than continuing to pump out the slapped-together crap common to Chrysler and GM.
The fiesta has the only soft plastic dash in it's class, and height adjust for the driver seat, but other than that, plastics and clothing are just as cheap as the rest of the small cars.
My mother had a focus zx3 2001, for me this car made the "new ford" in NA. She sold it with 235 000km, everything was still fine (except for A/C and electric trunk release), and the interior was almost like new.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 AM
i checked out the fiesta at a dealer... everything there is terrible. the looks, fit, feel. the pod tunnel design of gauges, the layout of the dash, the materials... the confoundingly unpractical seats (doesnt even lay flat), tiny rear cargo. dont understand the ballyhoo...

the previous generation of ka, in europe, is absolutely barebones. this isnt too much of a departure. the euro-spec focus that i drove, however, is very well built

Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Thumbs down Hate to pile on...

But after all the raving about the Fiesta, I went to look at it when I was looking at cars.

The rear seats are not big enough for normal adults (or my teenagers) with no leg room and little headroom. This is the same flaw I saw with the Mazda3. Both times the salespeople urged me to drive the car, but both times I declined. Who cares how it drives if my family can't fit inside?

Additionally just sitting in the driver's seat, everything seemed to be ergonomically off with the driver having to stretch to reach any controls.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member

Old 09-09-2010, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by broody
The fiesta has the only soft plastic dash in it's class, and height adjust for the driver seat, but other than that, plastics and clothing are just as cheap as the rest of the small cars..
Actually, the rest of the plastic's texture, feel and operation is downright cheap and flimsy compared to the Fit's. Hell, the a lot of the Fit's knob operation feels better than some Porsche's. Beats the pants of a Lotus Elise's. Actually, the Elise's knob feel is even better than a Fiesta's.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by broody
The fiesta has the only soft plastic dash in it's class, and height adjust for the driver seat, but other than that, plastics and clothing are just as cheap as the rest of the small cars.
My mother had a focus zx3 2001, for me this car made the "new ford" in NA. She sold it with 235 000km, everything was still fine (except for A/C and electric trunk release), and the interior was almost like new.
The Focus became even better a few years later, after they started putting Mazda engines under the hood.

Right now the new top-of-the-line Fiesta SES is priced within a few hundred bucks of the Fit Sport. It will therefore be an uphill battle for Ford to convince the public to forgo the Fit's superior utility and proven resale value in favor of a car that still needs a few years to prove its worth and will likely depreciate at nearly twice the rate of the Fit.

On top of that, many of the customers that Ford would like to win over via patriotism will likely not support the Fiesta once they learn that it's made in Mexico. Time will tell.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Actually, the rest of the plastic's texture, feel and operation is downright cheap and flimsy compared to the Fit's. Hell, the a lot of the Fit's knob operation feels better than some Porsche's. Beats the pants of a Lotus Elise's. Actually, the Elise's knob feel is even better than a Fiesta's.
...And at least one review last year for the '09 Fit stated that the manual transmission felt like it belonged in a car costing tens of thousands more. Perhaps one that begins with a B and ends with a W....

Old 09-09-2010, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
At first they called it "nerdy", and then "positively dorky." I'd say the Fit is the most Japanese, so I don't know what that says about the Japanese people, but I don't appreciate the way they tried to divide up the cars based on character. The Fit is the only one with personality, and that is coming from someone with mainly euro-car tastes. I see plain-jane women riding around in the Fit in droves. I think it's on par with Subaru for the GLBT community as well. And old people. Seeing a young man driving it is rare, so I'm just not sure what this techy, "fit is Go!" thing is all about. I hate marketing... and auto journalists.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
...And at least one review last year for the '09 Fit stated that the manual transmission felt like it belonged in a car costing tens of thousands more. Perhaps one that begins with a B and ends with a W....
Oh, there are tons of reviews that praise its shift feel, saying it's better than many sports cars out there.

In regard to styling, and I stress that this is my own opinion, I like the Fiesta's Euro compact and sleek design, but I like the Fit's more timeless and simple design approach. I think it will last longer than the more busy, fussy Fiesta's design. The Mazda 2 is cute, but the styling belongs from the early 2000s. It would be great if they can update it for today's trends.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
The Focus became even better a few years later, after they started putting Mazda engines under the hood.
The Duratec series engine was a collaboration between Ford & Mazda, there not just Mazda engines.

On top of that, many of the customers that Ford would like to win over via patriotism will likely not support the Fiesta once they learn that it's made in Mexico. Time will tell.
So what? The only thing the Focus had that was American was the Ford logo. It was designed in Europe, built in Mexico, and built thousands. Wont matter to the consumer where it's built because it say Ford, and to them, its American.

Last edited by B-Blue; 09-10-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
I think it's on par with Subaru for the GLBT community as well. And old people. Seeing a young man driving it is rare, so I'm just not sure what this techy, "fit is Go!" thing is all about. I hate marketing... and auto journalists.
I had never heard the Subaru was popular with GLBT communtiy--Subaru is one of the most popular cars in Colorado, about every fifth car you see is a Subaru Wagon--a few from the late eighties & early 90's, most from the 90's and then the newer ones. You see some Impresas and Foresters but not nearly as many as the wagons.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
I had never heard the Subaru was popular with GLBT communtiy--Subaru is one of the most popular cars in Colorado, about every fifth car you see is a Subaru Wagon--a few from the late eighties & early 90's, most from the 90's and then the newer ones. You see some Impresas and Foresters but not nearly as many as the wagons.
Well, the internet begs to differ. I guess it's sort of a meme, but even gaywheels.com calls the Forester a "lesbian icon." Honestly, I had no idea it was so official. haha Just a little googling: 2009 Subaru Forester at Gaywheels.com - Gay-Friendly Automotive Resource

Name:  forester.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  85.8 KB

Old 09-10-2010, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
My wife drives a lesbian icon. Cool.

Quick Reply: Fit wins comparison Test, C&D