2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Paddle shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:03 AM
Paddle shifting

Hi guys. I have owned my 2010 Honda Fit Sport AT for about a month. This is my first new car. Also, I am not that knowledgeable about cars in general, but I can learn anything pretty quickly. With that being said, I have never driven a manual transmission, so I am clueless on how to properly use the paddle shifters. I'm sorry if this sounds like a dumb question with an obvious answer, but the owner's manual isn't giving me what I need in laymen's terms. Any explanation on how and when would be much appreciated. I am slowly becoming a Fit Freak!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
Basically think of the paddles as a gear shift override. You pull the positive paddle (right) and the transmission will upshift into the next gear if that gear is in its available rang and the same thing for the negative paddle (left) except, the trans will downshift. You don't have to lift of the throttle or anything for it to shift with the paddle. Just play (in little to no traffic preferably) with them while the gear selector is in D until you get the hang of how they work and how you can use them to you benefit while driving.

Also, if you want to learn way more about the paddles, use the search function. It'll lead you to relevant topics of that subject and/or keywords.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
I have driven automatic and stick shift. It's good advice just to practice in an open area with the paddle shifters.

But in general if you've never driven a manual, be aware that the once you master the paddle shifters, you've still never driven a manual.

Paddle shifters give you a personal choice and some control over when the automatic transmission will shift...but the overall experience of using paddle shifters vs. a real manual transmission and clutch...is IMO quite a bit different.

I love my automatic fit with paddle shifters, but kind of regret not getting a manual transmission...I can just feel when driving my automatic that The Fit would be a fun vehicle to have a manual transmission in....

Old 09-01-2010, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Around town and especially for on ramps I just leave my Auto in D3. I know not great for gas mileage but sounds much better and seems to be more peppy even though I know it isn't.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:44 PM
thanks guys. i have been playing around with them and have finally found the pep in the new car that i thought was previously lacking.