2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Looking for tips on winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Best advise I can give is if it's a bad storm, just don't do it. I made it through our worst winter in a decade last season with my Fit. I'm not complaining- it handled it fine. But I put it through some challenges I had no business doing. And in the name of what, work? They sure wouldn't give a shit if I wrapped up my Fit just to get to the office. Never again. If it's one to four inches, fine. But six and up- stay the hell out of it. And while I made it through two blizzards literally in the middle of them, the Fit did very well holding the road. The biggest problem with the Fit is snow getting in the wheels and REALLY throwing the car out of whack with a wicked shimmy. It's the open design of the wheels. That's why deep snow is a no-no in this car. Other than that, you'll be suprised at how well the Fit handles it.

And it's just around the corner again. Good grief.

Dan
So you're saying the wheels gather it up. Wheel wells stay good?

I'm facing my first NY winter, and will be traveling Maine, with my car and deciding on a set-up.

Steel wheels - good snows. Size to rolling distance of OEM Sport.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Related question:
So "moon"-style full wheel covers would work better than open-spoked wheels in the winter because they have less chance of going up any holes in the wheel?

Yes we don't get winter here but the discussion here's pretty interesting.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
So you're saying the wheels gather it up. Wheel wells stay good?

I'm facing my first NY winter, and will be traveling Maine, with my car and deciding on a set-up.

Steel wheels - good snows. Size to rolling distance of OEM Sport.
I'm saying it does both- the wheels and the wells. Just try and avoid going through deep snow drifts if you can. I got by on the stock dunlops. It wasn't a big deal really. There was only two times when I should not have been on the road no matter what tire was on the Fit. Lots of snow drifts and plows creating walls right across main streets to plow out retail- around 5am. This is when I had real trouble with shimmy, going through THAT stuff. Normally, on plowed roads and even icy roads, the stock duns did well. I used the paddles quite a lot to help with starting and braking. I got through and never got stuck, but I learned real quick that no matter what, common sense must prevail. The Fit can only expect to be so good in unplowed, unchartered territory. Avoid that situation and you'll get by- literally.

Dan

Old 08-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Very good advice here. I have to prepare for another Wisconsin winter and the ridiculous amount of salt used on the roads. The front windshield has been fogging up with slight temp changes and it's summer so I can only imagine how it'll be in the winter..

Old 08-27-2010, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Related question:
So "moon"-style full wheel covers would work better than open-spoked wheels in the winter because they have less chance of going up any holes in the wheel?

Meh, I've had all sorts of wheels, and I saw no difference. Yes, if snow/ice builds up in your wheels, it could cause it to be unbalanced, but you'll only notice it going over 50-60mph, which if it's that bad out, you shouldn't be going that fast anyway.

Just get good snow tires. I've been through many snow storms in FWD cars and never had much trouble with snow tires. There is a DRASTIC difference between snows and even the best all-season tires. All-seasons are almost worthless in snow, IMO, and nobody should comment on winter driving until they've tried snow tires.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Related question:

well dont forget, when you turn with momentum, there's a bit of forward sliding before actually turning when on snow, so the inside of the wheel still has a possibilty of getting snow lodged in.

although i do prefer the more closed face of a steel wheel, i do like having the ability to push out the mush once I arrive at destination.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Those steel wheels on my 67VW were terrible in deep snow. Narrow enough, but the wheels would clog up. Learned to keep the wheel wells clear - during trips.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Snow tires are bit on the pricey side and annoying to install. I was thinking of some light snow chains. The manual that came with the fit recommend one particular brand due to the low ground clearance. any thoughts on that? I personally have never installed snow chains myself, but i imagine there is less labor involved.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by anime2k3
Snow tires are bit on the pricey side and annoying to install. I was thinking of some light snow chains. The manual that came with the fit recommend one particular brand due to the low ground clearance. any thoughts on that? I personally have never installed snow chains myself, but i imagine there is less labor involved.
I believe chains are illegal in NY

Old 09-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Punisher11
I believe chains are illegal in NY
aww poop...

Vehicle & Traffic Law - Vehicle Equipment

Tires
35. Tires.

(a) The commissioner may establish standards for the manufacture, regrooving or retreading of tires which are produced or sold in this state, and for the use of tires on vehicles operated in this state.

(b) No tire shall be manufactured, distributed, offered for sale or sold in this state if it does not comply with the standards established by the commissioner pursuant to paragraph (a) of this subdivision. A violation of this paragraph shall be punishable as a misdemeanor.

(c) No person shall operate a motor vehicle or a trailer on a public highway if such vehicle is equipped with tires that do not meet the standards established by the commissioner pursuant to paragraph (a) of this subdivision.
35-a.

It shall be unlawful to operate a motor vehicle or trailer equipped with tires having metal objects protruding from the tire tread upon any public highway. The prohibition contained in this section shall not apply to pneumatic tires containing metal type studs, the diameter of which studs inclusive of the stud casing does not exceed three-eighths of an inch and which do not protrude beyond the tread surface of such tires more than three thirty-seconds of an inch and the contact area of which does not exceed three-fourths of one per cent of the total nominal contact area of said tires determined by multiplying the circumference of the outer most edge of tread times the tread width, except that no vehicle equipped with such tires, other than school buses and state or municipally-owned vehicles, may operate on a public highway during the period from the first day of May to the fifteenth day of October, inclusive.

continued... blah blah blah blah blah

Old 09-06-2010, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by p nut
Meh, I've had all sorts of wheels, and I saw no difference. Yes, if snow/ice builds up in your wheels, it could cause it to be unbalanced, but you'll only notice it going over 50-60mph, which if it's that bad out, you shouldn't be going that fast anyway.
Originally Posted by Punisher11
well dont forget, when you turn with momentum, there's a bit of forward sliding before actually turning when on snow, so the inside of the wheel still has a possibilty of getting snow lodged in.

although i do prefer the more closed face of a steel wheel, i do like having the ability to push out the mush once I arrive at destination.
Benefits seem to cancel out advantages huh...interesting. Thanks guys, learned a lot.

Might come in handy someday if by luck I get to visit my family in Seattle one Christmas.

I'm definitely agreed on dedicated, siped snow tires too.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Benefits seem to cancel out advantages huh...interesting. Thanks guys, learned a lot.

Might come in handy someday if by luck I get to visit my family in Seattle one Christmas.

I'm definitely agreed on dedicated, siped snow tires too.
hehe, halo halo every where, just dont use the yellow snow

Old 09-07-2010, 01:45 AM
I've got this for snow

Name:  subtires005.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  183.9 KB

Though as far as a FWD car goes.. don't drive crazy, don't do any hard braking. If you're moving don't do any hard accelerating.. though living in the mountains you learn.. there are times to floor it and get those tires spinning. Only way to learn when.. is to experience it.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
You can get some cheap steel wheels and snows, all for less than $400. Maybe even cheaper. Many civics use the same lug pattern, so you could score some on craigslist for $200. Also, you don't want to use snow chains in a regular basis. One ride with them on and you'll see why. Clack clack clack clack......SNAP.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:13 PM
4 Winter Tires are a Must!

...was wondering what some of you suggest for the coming winter months on the road. What are your tips for driving through snow, icy roads?

Watch these really informative videos about how importance it is to have four winter tires on your vehicle:
  1. YouTube - Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 1 of 6
  2. YouTube - Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 2 of 6
  3. YouTube - Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 3 of 6
  4. YouTube - Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 4 of 6
  5. YouTube - Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 5 of 6
  6. YouTube - Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 6 of 6
Also, ABS and stability control are a must. If you have to drive through snow and ice, get a vehicle with ABS and stability control. This video from 5th Gear dramatically demonstrates the importants of these safety features on snow and ice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3m24bjkfg0

Please, share your thoughts on these videos, thanks.

Last edited by fit.sport; 09-11-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: AfterThought
Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit.sport
Watch these really informative videos about how importance it is to have four winter tires on your vehicle:
  1. YouTube - Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 1 of 6
  2. YouTube - Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 2 of 6
  3. YouTube - Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 3 of 6
  4. YouTube - Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 4 of 6
  5. YouTube - Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 5 of 6
  6. YouTube - Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 6 of 6
Also, ABS and stability control are a must. If you have to drive through snow and ice, get a vehicle with ABS and stability control. This video from 5th Gear dramatically demonstrates the importants of these safety features on snow and ice:

YouTube - How Effective is Stability Control

Please, share your thoughts on these videos, thanks.
I haven't been able to watch the vids, but ABS and VSC are helpful BUT NOT a necessity! First and foremost, experience/common sense is key. Practice in an empty parking lot or a deserted road. Second, get good snow tires. Then the rest of the stuff (ABS, VSC) comes after that. I spent years driving a car with no ABS and of course, no VSC and had no problems. Again, key is practice and common sense. Don't go 40mph around a corner and expect the tires or VSC to save you. Or start braking as you would on dry ground and expect ABS to save you. There will be times that those gizmos will come in handy, but 99% of the time, you can safely be on your way by simply practicing good driving skills.

Last edited by p nut; 09-21-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I have a 2010 sport w/automatic. Being as the car is pretty low to the ground and I don't have a remote starter or an overdrive option, was wondering what some of you suggest for the coming winter months on the road.

What are your tips for driving through snow, icy roads?
How about dealing with frozen shut doors? I imagine it will happen.

Please post your comments for all to see. I’m sure there are a lot of people curious.
these cars have pretty good ground clearance and for snow and ice, just get a set of snow tire and you're set.

i bought another set of wheels with new tires mounted (no TPMS) from tirerack.com car drives like a AWD car in the snow. amazing.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:14 PM
best tip in snow: dont drive. drift.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
these cars have pretty good ground clearance and for snow and ice, just get a set of snow tire and you're set.

i bought another set of wheels with new tires mounted (no TPMS) from tirerack.com car drives like a AWD car in the snow. amazing.
I haven't had any problems driving out here on the prairie where the wind blows all winter long. Sheesh. Winter's just around the corner. How annoying is it to have the TPS light on all the time? Or is it on all the time? I've been thinking about a set of winter tires but don't want to have to take it to the dealer to rejigger the TPS.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
1. disable that vsa crap in a snowstorm
2. go 50 mph
3. pull ebrake firmly
4. observe
5. control the slide
6. become one with the snow
7. regular driving becomes a non-challenge
8. become iritated by other drivers not power sliding in snow
9. beat your wife in frustration
10. ???
11. Profit!

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 09-22-2010 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for tips on winter driving