2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Valentine One Hardwire... Where? How?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:51 AM
Valentine One Hardwire... Where? How?

Hi Guys,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to hardwiring but after 2 tickets in 1 month I think the time has come where I need to splash some money into a radar detector.

That said I dont want to use the cigarette lighter to power it up and want to hardwire it.

Ideally I would like to hardwire it but also be able to "snap" it off when I need to take it off the car easily to move it to another one. And of course quickly "snap" it back in when I bring it back.

Any ideas on how to get this accomplished?
Know anyone in the LA/OC area that maybe able to do this for relatively cheap?

Thanks again!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
hmmm... when you say hard wire, its usually permanent. unless you have 2 sets of the power supply cord.

check out specboy's car domain page on his sig on this thread

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-present/58391-new-fit-owner.html

Old 08-25-2010, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
Thx Punisher.

Woo, Nice choice of Radar. Mine is 11 yrs old and still going strong - still on the original suction cups too. - Been hardwired in 3 vehicles (2 integras and the FIT) and gets moved to the Ridge with the Cig adapter for long trips.

As for the install... it is EASY! - if you can work pliers, you can do this.

what you'll need is:
  • an "Add-A-Fuse" from your local autoparts store.
  • Extra Fuses - (Add-a-Fuse doesn't come with any)
  • A 9' 4-wire phone cable (6' works but is tight - no slack)
  • A 6' 4-wire phone cable (if you are mounting the concealed display as well)
  • Either A Soldering Iron and heatshrink tubing (or some buttsplices and crimpers)
  • About 1 hour of your life that a significant other can do without.
also, with the Add-A-Fuse, this is completely removable (takes about 2 min to completely remove - including phone wire) with no cutting or splicing into the factory wiring anywhere in the car. If I ever have to remove the V1, I'll leave the $2 phone cord behind the dash/tuck it into the roof liner and not worry about removing it. it's $2...

I actually have photos for a DIY, just never threw it together. I'll see if I can do it tonight or tomorrow. Don't have the Concealed display mounted or hardwired yet so I can only do the Radar portion now. Will add the CD at a later time.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 08-25-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:57 PM
If you could that would be great.
First time I am doing this so I kinda know what im doing or breaking.. Haha.

Thanks.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Check the link in my sig. Hope it helps. I also included an on/off switch in my install.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by caliban10010
Check the link in my sig. Hope it helps. I also included an on/off switch in my install.
looked at your write up.
if you tap your map lights wont the detector always be on?

Ideally I would like it so that only when the ignition is on the detector will turn on...

Old 08-26-2010, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Please, do post a DIY on this.

I had the V1 with concealed display hard wired into my Marauder. I don't want to tap into the ignition wires on my Fit(s) so it's been sitting in a box.

Hook us up.

Originally Posted by specboy
Thx Punisher.

Woo, Nice choice of Radar. Mine is 11 yrs old and still going strong - still on the original suction cups too. - Been hardwired in 3 vehicles (2 integras and the FIT) and gets moved to the Ridge with the Cig adapter for long trips.

As for the install... it is EASY! - if you can work pliers, you can do this.

what you'll need is:
  • an "Add-A-Fuse" from your local autoparts store.
  • Extra Fuses - (Add-a-Fuse doesn't come with any)
  • A 9' 4-wire phone cable (6' works but is tight - no slack)
  • A 6' 4-wire phone cable (if you are mounting the concealed display as well)
  • Either A Soldering Iron and heatshrink tubing (or some buttsplices and crimpers)
  • About 1 hour of your life that a significant other can do without.
also, with the Add-A-Fuse, this is completely removable (takes about 2 min to completely remove - including phone wire) with no cutting or splicing into the factory wiring anywhere in the car. If I ever have to remove the V1, I'll leave the $2 phone cord behind the dash/tuck it into the roof liner and not worry about removing it. it's $2...

I actually have photos for a DIY, just never threw it together. I'll see if I can do it tonight or tomorrow. Don't have the Concealed display mounted or hardwired yet so I can only do the Radar portion now. Will add the CD at a later time.

~SB

Old 08-28-2010, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wootang00
looked at your write up.
if you tap your map lights wont the detector always be on?

Ideally I would like it so that only when the ignition is on the detector will turn on...
I installed a custom switch which is linked in the 1st post and in my sig.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:43 PM
type?

Are the fit's fuses ATO or mini? I believe they're minis but want to be sure. I'm about to hardwire a 9500ix RD.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup
Are the fit's fuses ATO or mini? I believe they're minis but want to be sure. I'm about to hardwire a 9500ix RD.
They are the mini but the "low profile" mini so they don't have the two spades that stick out of them. The Mini Add-A-Fuse works as I have one on mine but you can't use the stock fuse in the add-a-fuse, you have to use two standard mini fuses.

I can't find my photos from the V1 install which is a bummer but I'll see if I can take a photo or two of the fuse box. I used the 12V accessory (Cig lighter) and put a 20a fuse & 5a fuse in the add-a fuse. The 20 to replace the stock 20a that was in there, and a 5v for the V1 Hardwire. (the v1 has a 1a or 2a fuse built inline anyway so now it is double-fused)

~SB

Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks

Originally Posted by specboy
They are the mini but the "low profile" mini so they don't have the two spades that stick out of them. The Mini Add-A-Fuse works as I have one on mine but you can't use the stock fuse in the add-a-fuse, you have to use two standard mini fuses.

I can't find my photos from the V1 install which is a bummer but I'll see if I can take a photo or two of the fuse box. I used the 12V accessory (Cig lighter) and put a 20a fuse & 5a fuse in the add-a fuse. The 20 to replace the stock 20a that was in there, and a 5v for the V1 Hardwire. (the v1 has a 1a or 2a fuse built inline anyway so now it is double-fused)

~SB
Thanks greatly for the info! I already ordered the add-a-fuse mini version from Amazon along with the hardwire kit so I should be OK. I wondered if I could use another add-a-fuse to create an under dash cig lighter for my GPS? I don't see why not! That would free up my cig lighter in the console and make things neater. Thanks again for the information.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup
Thanks greatly for the info! I already ordered the add-a-fuse mini version from Amazon along with the hardwire kit so I should be OK. I wondered if I could use another add-a-fuse to create an under dash cig lighter for my GPS? I don't see why not! That would free up my cig lighter in the console and make things neater. Thanks again for the information.
Yes, you can use an add-a fuse for that. I'm going to get one of them for the Ridgeline to Hardwire the Harman Kardon Drive+Play that controls my wife's iPod. I may also add a USB Power Port to the fit for my phone/misc USB Powered devices like my Archos or iPod.

For those who are interested, I did a How-To on the V1 hardwire install and slapped it both here and on my Cardomain Page. Page2

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post903938

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3368795/2

hope it helps everyone.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 08-29-2010 at 12:51 PM.