2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

3 questions and a bad day at the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
3 questions and a bad day at the dealer

1) the dealer gave me an awesome deal on a remote starter. what i didnt know was that it was after market. is there any way to program an OEM remote to work with the Avital 4103 starter + security system?

2) i was reading on tpms, i know if i got a second set of wheels i would need to have those added. my question is if i switch back and for due to seasons, will i need to reset the sensors every time or is it once and done?

3) honda service messed up a snap screw install for the rear cargo shelf (they threw this in as part of the buy). the rear seat panel is messed up from the 3 attempts to get it straight, but cant do it now. is there any sort of compensation i can get out of this? i pretty much have a ruined rear seat panel and crooked screw snaps.

what angers me most is that this was at the end of the day, the tech working on my car was rushing and during the middle of that had a loud verbal argument with one of the workers (im guessing non tech since he wasnt in tech uniform). i really wouldnt have mind coming back tomorrow, as i have to pick up the accord horn upgrade, but the fact that they made my rear panel look like walmart furniture was what set me off.

sorry for my little rant, but i had to get it out.

ill post a pic of what they messed up, but a big thank you to any advice i can get

Old 08-19-2010, 01:52 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
The rear cover is such a simple job how can they screwed it up? It took me maybe 40 min to install it. Locating the pre-drilled holes for the snaps was the hardest part.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...cargocover.pdf

http://www.diyhonda.com/podcasts/epi...argo_cover.mp4

Old 08-19-2010, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ein
The rear cover is such a simple job how can they screwed it up? It took me maybe 40 min to install it. Locating the pre-drilled holes for the snaps was the hardest part.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...cargocover.pdf

http://www.diyhonda.com/podcasts/epi...argo_cover.mp4
You are absolutely right, it should have been that easy. And if it wasn't a part the dealer threw in, I too would have done it myself. Anyway, I'm going back at 11, they better fix this.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:34 AM
If the dealer screws up a part while attempting to make an install, the simple fix is for them to replace the part they screwed up. The proper compensation is to correct their mistake.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
on the TPMS, there's no way to link another set (or switch between them) of sensors without an update made via the OBDII connection. There are aftermarket devices sold to make this update or you can have the dealer do it. This page at tire rack has a typical set of wheels; at the bottom are the set of 4 sensors and below that is a device to perform the update to the car's computer.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
If the dealer screws up a part while attempting to make an install, the simple fix is for them to replace the part they screwed up. The proper compensation is to correct their mistake.
Absolutely. Nothing less is acceptable, and by all means do not let the original technician butcher complete the work once the new parts come in.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Cool There is a way...

Originally Posted by Steve244
on the TPMS, there's no way to link another set (or switch between them) of sensors without an update made via the OBDII connection. There are aftermarket devices sold to make this update or you can have the dealer do it. This page at tire rack has a typical set of wheels; at the bottom are the set of 4 sensors and below that is a device to perform the update to the car's computer.
This company sells sensors that "copy" the codes of your current sensors, then when you switch wheels the car still thinks you have the original sensors in the tires. Otherwise you have to pay the dealer $100+ every time you change the tires or live with the TPMS sensor being lit up.

http://www.orange-electronic.com/eng...uct/sub05.html

Old 08-19-2010, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
This company sells sensors that "copy" the codes of your current sensors, then when you switch wheels the car still thinks you have the original sensors in the tires. Otherwise you have to pay the dealer $100+ every time you change the tires or live with the TPMS sensor being lit up.

http://www.orange-electronic.com/eng...uct/sub05.html
Didn't know about these. The device to reprogram the OBD I linked is $135. Your link is a better solution if the cost of the sensors is in line with other sensors. Do tire dealers typically carry them?

Old 08-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Cool I read

Originally Posted by Steve244
Didn't know about these. The device to reprogram the OBD I linked is $135. Your link is a better solution if the cost of the sensors is in line with other sensors. Do tire dealers typically carry them?
about the sensors on another thread. Haven't tried them myself yet (I will be trying them when I put snows on). I think I also read that the only way our cars can be re-programmed is at the dealer that the generic devices don't work.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
thanks blackbeard for the link.

Went in took them 45min to reset the screws. supposedly there's a metal bracket on our rear panels that makes it a "difficult install"

i spoke with the manager about having 3 extra holes in my back panel, not to mention a ruined cloth cover with a car that isnt even a week old. He apologized, said he's going to replace the back panel and the cloth cover, not only that but he threw in a few oil changes, wheel maintainence, and he told me if (when) i get new rims, to speak to him about discounting the sensor reset.

im still displeased with the tech who did my car, but the manager made up for some of it.

now im off to put in the accord horn.

thanks gang

Old 08-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Sound like the manager is making it right in the end and that is what really counts. Hope they get fixed as good as new.

Cat :x