2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

NY Fit inspection- 10 bucks?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
NY Fit inspection- 10 bucks?!

Before I got my Fit last year I was used to a dyno inspection and holding my breath to hear how much work would need to be done on my '95. Today I bring my Fit in for an inspection to my mechanic, as well as a tire rotation. The total cost- 10 bucks! He didn't charge me for the TR, but the inspection was 10 bucks. Is that right? I mean hell, it's wonderful but somehow I expected maybe, I don't know- 30 bucks or so? But TEN? Maybe a loyal customer being taken care of here? Or maybe it's actually ten bucks! Color me amazed!

Dan

Old 08-17-2010, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
yes, you got the new car, right?? your first year just a safety inspection, but not emission, so they just charge you $10, but next time you do it, it will cost you $37 (If they didn't raise price)

Old 08-17-2010, 01:18 AM
I recently moved to Maryland. Mandatory state inspection = $65 ($82 at a Honda dealership). And it was a new car. Mother truckers.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
Makes sense. I didn't know that. Been a loooooong time since I brought in a new car to inspect. Thanks!

Dan

Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 AM
No inspection here, just $43.75 for tabs and $30 donation to WSLEMF for my special plates. If I had regular plates.. no donation.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sy11580
yes, you got the new car, right?? your first year just a safety inspection, but not emission, so they just charge you $10, but next time you do it, it will cost you $37 (If they didn't raise price)
this.

i can only imagine what re registration is, the increased my bike fee from $14ish to $40ish

Last edited by Punisher11; 08-17-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Thats a good & bad thing about Florida, there are no inspections, just your tag (license plate) renewal every year which is about $45 (more if you have special plates) So it's nice and cheap!

Although on the other hand it's bad, because sooo many people don't take care of their cars, I see some that shouldn't even be considered safe. Everyday I see cars with one or more brake lights out, cracked windshields, duct taped body parts & obvious holes in mufflers.. uggh.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
No inspections in FL? That's whacked.

sy1150- thank you.

Dan

Old 08-17-2010, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
inspections in jersey are being taken out. Just emissions soon, already done for motorcycles.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LeafEater
Thats a good & bad thing about Florida, there are no inspections, just your tag (license plate) renewal every year which is about $45 (more if you have special plates) So it's nice and cheap!

Although on the other hand it's bad, because sooo many people don't take care of their cars, I see some that shouldn't even be considered safe. Everyday I see cars with one or more brake lights out, cracked windshields, duct taped body parts & obvious holes in mufflers.. uggh.

yeah, ghetto machines are all over the place.
A big pet peeve of mine is having the third brake light out - when the sun is out, some times I can't even tell someone's brakes are on unless the third brake light is on.
Inspections save lives. I like that I can mod my car and not have to worry about it much, but I'm not negligent with car maintenance like many here.

I'm not looking forward to moving back to New England - some of the inspection places will purposely find something to fail you on - just so you come back and have to pay again. My old Explorer was MINT - but they failed me twice because the front brush guard/cattle guard whatever you want to call it "decreased the light output from the headlights" and the same for the guards I had over the tail lights...
Name:  100_8204.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  103.5 KB

Old 08-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by sy11580
NYS safety inspection fee is $10 - State wide.
NYS emission inspection fee $27 in NY metro area. $11 every where else.

I have no idea why that is?

Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
you welcome guys. Just tell what I know

Old 08-18-2010, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Thats a good & bad thing about Florida, there are no inspections.
I went to Arkansas to visit my father and noticed that his inspection had been expired for a number of years and when I went to inform him, he told me that Arkansas no longer does inspections. They used to do inspections (safety only) for $3.50 and in regards to emissions, I don't think they had ever even heard of the word!

If it runs....it can be registered.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Some how I thought emissions inspection was national...

Old 08-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Some how I thought emissions inspection was national...
HA! I wish, you should see some of the sh1t pouring out of peoples exhaust here in FL, it's actually rather sad.

I used to live in Mass, and they did safety & emissions every other year.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have emissions here in my town.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Inspections are worthless, just another tax. Lived most my life in states without inspections, never saw the need for them, still don't.

When I moved to NY I was amazed at how many people in NY thought all states had car inspections. In truth most of the US is inspection free. I believe there are fewer than 20 states with yearly inspections. Hoping to soon live in one of those 30+ states again

Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Not only that, but when you're in an older car you have to figure in a substantial budget to pay for fixes at that time. A 10-13 year old car will probably cost a good 800 to a grand to fix all those nasties you've been putting off all year. At least it did me. My mechanic wasn't complaining, that's for sure. Although, he helped me out a bunch. But I put off a LOT of things till after I saw how bad the inspection was gonna cost me every year. That's why ten bucks THIS year was a refreshing change! Woo Hoo!

Dan

Old 08-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by cargun
Inspections are worthless, just another tax. Lived most my life in states without inspections, never saw the need for them, still don't.

When I moved to NY I was amazed at how many people in NY thought all states had car inspections. In truth most of the US is inspection free. I believe there are fewer than 20 states with yearly inspections. Hoping to soon live in one of those 30+ states again
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. Like I said in an earlier post; because we have no inspections in FL, some people just refuse to take care of their cars. Which can become a hazard to other drivers. And although smog from emissions isn't really a problem in FL, if you've ever been to some cities such as LA, or Denver where tail-pipe emissions clog and pollute the sky and also contribute to some peoples health/breathing problems then you may think otherwise. I would welcome national safety & emission inspections, as long as they aren't overly expensive.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. Like I said in an earlier post; because we have no inspections in FL, some people just refuse to take care of their cars. Which can become a hazard to other drivers. And although smog from emissions isn't really a problem in FL, if you've ever been to some cities such as LA, or Denver where tail-pipe emissions clog and pollute the sky and also contribute to some peoples health/breathing problems then you may think otherwise. I would welcome national safety & emission inspections, as long as they aren't overly expensive.
Thanks - you've explained it.

FL has 'little concern' with auto emissions inspection, it's a peninsula - air quality is really good I would think.
I'm not saying the State has "no" interests, but for car inspections it seems to work that way.

I'm still surprised by all this. Aren't Fed $$'s tied to inspections some how, or is the 'Clean Air Act' really dead - out the door.

Quick Reply: NY Fit inspection- 10 bucks?!