2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

NY Fit inspection- 10 bucks?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Thanks - you've explained it.

FL has 'little concern' with auto emissions inspection, it's a peninsula - air quality is really good I would think.
I'm not saying the State has "no" interests, but for car inspections it seems to work that way.

I'm still surprised by all this. Aren't Fed $$'s tied to inspections some how, or is the 'Clean Air Act' really dead - out the door.
no, you've already found the answer; Florida has little problem as their pollution gets blown away. I'm not sure it's fair or environmentally responsible but that's how it is. Canada gets annoyed with us for more than lousy beer.

Federal standards set air quality standards, determine how much cars can pollute by design, and require extended warranties on pollution controls. It's up the each state how they want to keep the air clean. I think failure results in loss of federal money for roads. There are also separate regions within each state. Atlanta has different requirements for fuel than Savannah. Emissions checks aren't necessary throughout GA, just in metro Atlanta. link

Old 08-27-2010, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
It's not only about emmisions either. Problem with leaving EVERYTHING up to the owner is that many of us don't really know when that needed fix may be a huge hazard in the makings- even disasterous if left unchecked. Couple years ago I had a rattle under the car that I figured was a loose bolt. Turns out at inspection I was quite right- it was a rusted bolt and my whole exhaust system was on the verge of dropping right out from under me. Balljoints is another one I certainly put off enough times and that can be a real problem if left unchecked. Tires too. Brakes...you know, the stuff that helps keep us from crashing into things. Those kind of things that you ride on for a year knowing all too well you'll have to get it fixed at inspection. It completely sucks, but it's actually better to be driving a safe, operational car- and be reasonably sure everyone around you is too. So, I don't like inspections but I prefer them over nothing! And now I don't mind them having the Fit!

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 08-27-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Because the yrly inspection is a PIA means it's doing its job.