2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Meguiars ultimate detailer working wonders on the Fit paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Meguiars ultimate detailer working wonders on the Fit paint

My 1 month old Fit has been hand washed twice now at my new home (previously automatic car washes), and I follow up with Meguiars ultimate detailer spray, man that stuff really works. Simply wipe on and then wipe off with another dry towel. The paint surface is so smooth and the shine is quite impressive, even comparable to some of the better known name brand car waxes. I think the detailer works best on paint surface that is fairly new, or if the paint surface is well maintained over the years.
Bird droppings, and other climate fall-outs, simply wash away with little or no trace of it. Some carnuaba waxes do not offer such protection.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Yea, Meguiars has decent lineups. I wash/detail my car maybe once a month so I just go to Walmart to buy them (Gold Class Wash, Quik Detailer, & Quik Wax). I'll try their clay kit next.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi thanks for sharing. I have used the quick detailer version and that works good too and since you made your testimony I will be trying the Ultimate Detailer. Can you post pictures?

Old 08-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Ah, didn't notice they had regular and ultimate version of the quik detailer and quik wax. I've been using the ultimate for both.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
If you will be doing frequent in between touch ups I'd recommend trying Optimum No Rinse. Just use 2 ounces per 1 gallon of detailer you're mixing and it goes a long way. Meguiars UD and UQD are great, I love and have owned many bottles in the past, but you can go through them so fast and they're about $5 a pop. Happy detailing.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
As stated above, that's my biggest "problem" with any detailer, Meguiars or otherwise.

They're relatively expensive and being "thin" a bottle doesn't seem to last very long.

I swear I'm impartial. (full disclosure) I'm currently using TurtleWax Ice Paste Polish and TurtleWax Ice Detailer. I'm pretty happy with the results.

I'll say one thing though, while I'm pretty happy with the TurtleWax products, Meguiars seems to have a better reputation throughout the internet and the detailing world. I have used on other vehicles Meguiars Gold Class Wax...and found it very, very good...but it takes the full commitment of using an Old School wax. BUT as far as most products and most newer technology products like NXT wax vs. ICE? I think Meguiars is highly overrated. It's not cost, I've bought EVERYTHING and tried it over the years, just my opinion that Meguiars products are decent but not as overwhelmingly great as they are often presented.

Recently I was restocking automotive cleaning/detailing supplies with the purchase of my new automobile. I reluctantly (none other available) bought some BlackMagic car wash...and suprisingly I thought it was decent...good. But once I used it up, I spent more and got the fabled Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash....I've been REALLY disappointed.

Supporters of Meguiars will disagree, and it's not that I think their products are horrible...some of the older products are excellent, but just that some of their newer stuff is maybe equal to everything else OR IMO really not as good.

Specifically I'd say, I tried NXT wax and ICE and I like ICE much better. But if you hunt around the internet that seems to be a rare opinion.

Eventually I want some Zaino...gotta get it over the internet but I hear it has no real equal.

Last edited by fitchet; 08-14-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
As stated above, that's my biggest "problem" with any detailer, Meguiars or otherwise.

They're relatively expensive and being "thin" a bottle doesn't seem to last very long.

I swear I'm impartial. (full disclosure) I'm currently using TurtleWax Ice Paste Polish and TurtleWax Ice Detailer. I'm pretty happy with the results.

I'll say one thing though, while I'm pretty happy with the TurtleWax products, Meguiars seems to have a better reputation throughout the internet and the detailing world. I have used on other vehicles Meguiars Gold Class Wax...and found it very, very good...but it takes the full commitment of using an Old School wax. BUT as far as most products and most newer technology products like NXT wax vs. ICE? I think Meguiars is highly overrated. It's not cost, I've bought EVERYTHING and tried it over the years, just my opinion that Meguiars products are decent but not as overwhelmingly great as they are often presented.

Recently I was restocking automotive cleaning/detailing supplies with the purchase of my new automobile. I reluctantly (none other available) bought some BlackMagic car wash...and suprisingly I thought it was decent...good. But once I used it up, I spent more and got the fabled Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash....I've been REALLY disappointed.

Supporters of Meguiars will disagree, and it's not that I think their products are horrible...some of the older products are excellent, but just that some of their newer stuff is maybe equal to everything else OR IMO really not as good.

Specifically I'd say, I tried NXT wax and ICE and I like ICE much better. But if you hunt around the internet that seems to be a rare opinion.

Eventually I want some Zaino...gotta get it over the internet but I hear it has no real equal.

Zaino products like P21S and other concours type products, are very good products, awesome shine, but requires a lot of TLC, time away from family stuff, basically requires a lot of dedication. I use to do that when I was a young guy, but now with a family, rather put more time with the family. So the ultimate detailer is great.

I would disagree with one of the posters that it does go through really fast, as with most polymer based waxes, you only need very little. And it does last for at least a month. Each bottle should last for 3 months.

I would suggest that, as with the instructions on the bottle, allow the polymer to cure on the paint after applying the detailer. This curing process, ~ 12-18 hours, will lock the polymer into the paint surface, hence a longer lasting seal.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mav238
Zaino products like P21S and other concours type products, are very good products, awesome shine, but requires a lot of TLC, time away from family stuff, basically requires a lot of dedication. I use to do that when I was a young guy, but now with a family, rather put more time with the family. So the ultimate detailer is great.

I would disagree with one of the posters that it does go through really fast, as with most polymer based waxes, you only need very little. And it does last for at least a month. Each bottle should last for 3 months.

I would suggest that, as with the instructions on the bottle, allow the polymer to cure on the paint after applying the detailer. This curing process, ~ 12-18 hours, will lock the polymer into the paint surface, hence a longer lasting seal.
I agree. I'm in the same boat, that's why I didn't buy Zaino right out of the gate and just went with the easier to use products. I will get some Zaino though as I've never heard anything bad about it, and I just have to see if the quality difference is worth the price and work.

Plus, yes, I use the detailer spray as an addition to the paste polish, not as a replacement for using the polish. I use detailer, for the weeks inbetween the actual polishing and waxing. I think it works great and helps maintain and improve shine and protection but it has been my experience thus far that a bottle doesn't last too long. I might be using too much. However, on my bottle of Turtlewax Synthetic Ice Spray detailer the Directions say, Spray product LIBERALLY onto one body panel.

Guess it depends on your definition of liberally? I try to have The Daily Show on in the background and think about Obama while I'm applying.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Ultimate detailer works great. Been using all different waxes and car washes and finally settled on Gold Class Wax after not liking the NXT stuff. For car wash solution, I'm very happy with the Ultimate Meguiars car wash (yellow). It ain't cheap, but has a trace of quickwax built into the wash. If you have a base coat of wax on the car before washing, and take the time to fully dry it you will actually see a difference in the paint almost like using quick wax. Its not a silver bullet, but tons better than the Gold Class carwash and I honestly wasn't even impressed with the ICE carwash.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Yea, I used Zaino and other fancy products with my previous car which was a G37 coupe (in black ), but now with the Fit (in white ) I just buy it at Walmart, etc. for convenience and do a quick wash/detailing that takes no more than an hour. No disrespect to the Fit.