2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Which San Francisco bay area dealership offers the best price on a Fit Sport Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by jccruises
$16,500 for a sport auto seems like a great price to me. Local dealer here in Eastern WA couldn't/wouldn't do that. TrueCar says Invoice is about $17,500 and "true" dealer cost is about $17,200. Sounds like some great deals in other areas.
I'm sure that does not include the $750 transportation. All dealers pay the same price unless Honda has a deal going on volume thresholds where a dealer gets money from Honda for selling X amount of cars.

Last edited by ras123; 08-25-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ras123
I'm sure that does not include the $750 transportation. All dealers pay the same price unless Honda has a deal going on volume thresholds where a dealer gets money from Honda for selling X amount of cars.
What facts are you basing this on? Did you actually go get the quote too?

Truecar breaks down the prices and shows you the chart of some recent sales, the destination is indeed included in their price calculations.
I recently got an email ad from Anderson for auto-sport and it was like $16,400 if i remember dest included.

As I mentioned before, there are market factors at work, and dealers sometimes need to move cars at a loss or other factors (like showroom model)
If you are a cutthroat car buyer and put in the effort, you should all be on the way left of the chart, regardless of the invoice,cost or msrp.

If you look up bay area, say 94150, you see for 2010Sport/Auto

Dealer cost(this includes holdback) 17223
Invoice 17568

But there are a bunch of sales under $17000 including some outliers at $16000 (might be showroom cars or something), so 16,500 is definitely a valid market price.

The table breaks and shows that this includes dealer holdback.

So taking into account truecar data is how to make use of pricing information instead of just conventional wisdom.

If you just ignore it and bought your Fit for a quote $17000, $200 less than even the dealer cost, you may feel that you are a good bargainer and even got the dealer to take a $200 loss (holdbacks and everything inclusive).
But really you left some money on the table.

On the flipside, if you want a ferrari, or some other very high demand, low supply car, good luck even getting that at msrp.

Last edited by raytseng; 08-25-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by raytseng
What facts are you basing this on? Did you actually go get the quote too?

Truecar breaks down the prices and shows you the chart of some recent sales, the destination is indeed included in their price calculations.
I recently got an email ad from Anderson for auto-sport and it was like $16,400 if i remember dest included.

As I mentioned before, there are market factors at work, and dealers sometimes need to move cars at a loss or other factors (like showroom model)
If you are a cutthroat car buyer and put in the effort, you should all be on the way left of the chart, regardless of the invoice,cost or msrp.

If you look up bay area, say 94150, you see for 2010Sport/Auto

Dealer cost(this includes holdback) 17223
Invoice 17568

But there are a bunch of sales under $17000 including some outliers at $16000 (might be showroom cars or something), so 16,500 is definitely a valid market price.

The table breaks and shows that this includes dealer holdback.

So taking into account truecar data is how to make use of pricing information instead of just conventional wisdom.

If you just ignore it and bought your Fit for a quote $17000, $200 less than even the dealer cost, you may feel that you are a good bargainer and even got the dealer to take a $200 loss (holdbacks and everything inclusive).
But really you left some money on the table.

On the flipside, if you want a ferrari, or some other very high demand, low supply car, good luck even getting that at msrp.
I'm a realist and find it hard to believe that a dealer will sell a Honda for $723 below cost. I have read where people get quotes and then find out they don't include transportation,doc fees,market adjustment and dealer installed options. I got an internet price on my 2010 Fit Silver Storm base M/T (MSRP $15650) of $15039. When I got to the dealer to get that price they added $339 DOC fee and $399 Theft protection package with window etching already on the car for a total of $15777. I refused to pay for either one and did get the car for $15039. I decided after to get All season floor mats,mudguards,cargo tray and chrome tailpipe extender for an extra $360 installed so I payed $15399 at my choice with 0.9% financing for 60 months.(alot of car companies make the dealers chip in on this). I also looked online and there is no dealer cashback on the Fits. The first dealer I went to said they only have a $500 markup on the Fits and could give me a couple hundred off because they sell out fairly fast. I said that is not enough and he let me walk out the door!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
I'm a realist and find it hard to believe that a dealer will sell a Honda for $723 below cost. I have read where people get quotes and then find out they don't include transportation,doc fees,market adjustment and dealer installed options. I got an internet price on my 2010 Fit Silver Storm base M/T (MSRP $15650) of $15039. When I got to the dealer to get that price they added $339 DOC fee and $399 Theft protection package with window etching already on the car for a total of $15777. I refused to pay for either one and did get the car for $15039. I decided after to get All season floor mats,mudguards,cargo tray and chrome tailpipe extender for an extra $360 installed so I payed $15399 at my choice with 0.9% financing for 60 months.(alot of car companies make the dealers chip in on this). I also looked online and there is no dealer cashback on the Fits. The first dealer I went to said they only have a $500 markup on the Fits and could give me a couple hundred off because they sell out fairly fast. I said that is not enough and he let me walk out the door!
Sorry you got screwed over.
You are right to be pessimistic and read the fine print, but just because YOUR dealership was giving you a runaround is not proof that the price data is faulty and not including fees.
More likely it means that you haven't found the low price dealer in your area, and others are getting better deal. Maybe it just doesn't work in your area, but it works here.

My experience 1 year ago was different (at least at Anderson).
The price quoted was the price given. standard $55 doc fee (CA has this as a regulated maximum) + the fees which matched up to the breakdown by the CA DMW, nothing else.

And at that time of year, I still got it below the calculated "dealer invoice." Bad economy FTW.

There are going to be some outlier data for like special deals on showroom cars or damaged or test cars, but my experience is don't ignore the truecar.com data.

If you choose to ignore it and go to the dealer that convinces you that it's bogus and their price is the best price around, then you are just leaving money on the table.

Last edited by raytseng; 08-26-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Sorry you got screwed over.
You are right to be pessimistic and read the fine print, but just because YOUR dealership was giving you a runaround is not proof that the price data is faulty and not including fees.
More likely it means that you haven't found the low price dealer in your area, and others are getting better deal. Maybe it just doesn't work in your area, but it works here.

My experience 1 year ago was different (at least at Anderson).
The price quoted was the price given. standard $55 doc fee (CA has this as a regulated maximum) + the fees which matched up to the breakdown by the CA DMW, nothing else.

And at that time of year, I still got it below the calculated "dealer invoice." Bad economy FTW.

There are going to be some outlier data for like special deals on showroom cars or damaged or test cars, but my experience is don't ignore the truecar.com data.

If you choose to ignore it and go to the dealer that convinces you that it's bogus and their price is the best price around, then you are just leaving money on the table.
For my area in southern Maine this was a great price that I paid.I got it below the calculted dealer cost. I just read on the How much did you pay forum that someone bought a new 2010 Fit Auto for $15738 including destination. That car has an MSRP of $18010. That is a $2272 discount. I am just saying that something is not right on some of these prices people are saying they paid.

Last edited by ras123; 08-26-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
For my area in southern Maine this was a great price that I paid.I got it below the calculted dealer cost. I just read on the How much did you pay forum that someone bought a new 2010 Fit Auto for $15738 including destination. That car has an MSRP of $18010. That is a $2272 discount. I am just saying that something is not right on some of these prices people are saying they paid.
And I'm saying those price are right, and you are just not as lucky to have the same desperate Honda dealers in your area.

Why are you just dumping on other people's price reports? How is it useful when someone says, "I got a great deal at "15,xxx", and your post is just "I don't believe it, it must be a scam". Do you really think they are trying to pull one over on you by posting the great deal they got?

Take it or leave it, but give people the benefit of the doubt unless you have some hard evidence to the contrary such as by calling up the exact same dealers they mention.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 AM
And I'm saying those price are right, and you are just not as lucky to have the same desperate Honda dealers in your area.

Why are you just dumping on other people's price reports? How is it useful when someone says, "I got a great deal at "15,xxx", and your post is just "I don't believe it, it must be a scam". Do you really think they are trying to pull one over on you by posting the great deal they got?

Take it or leave it, but give people the benefit of the doubt unless you have some hard evidence to the contrary such as by calling up the exact same dealers they mention.
I'm not dumping on other people and I certainly did not say it was a scam but was saying something does not make sense. I can make my deal sound better by saying I payed $14301 for my base M/T Fit but when I add the fees it is what it is at $15039. I could have easily said I paid $14301 but I chose not to. I made my deal with no trade and then came back with my trade and they gave me a great price for it so there would be no numbers game with the price. I am totally satisfied with my deal and the 0.9% loan so I am not being bitter here. It is also just not worth my time and effort to get worked up over a couple hundred dollars; that's just me I guess. The bottom line is that some of the deal prices don't make sense and some of them do. Please don't look any deeper into it. I just want to enjoy this forum as it has given me a wealth of information on my Fit in a very short time.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not dumping on other people and I certainly did not say it was a scam but was saying something does not make sense. I can make my deal sound better by saying I payed $14301 for my base M/T Fit but when I add the fees it is what it is at $15039. I could have easily said I paid $14301 but I chose not to. I made my deal with no trade and then came back with my trade and they gave me a great price for it so there would be no numbers game with the price. I am totally satisfied with my deal and the 0.9% loan so I am not being bitter here. It is also just not worth my time and effort to get worked up over a couple hundred dollars; that's just me I guess. The bottom line is that some of the deal prices don't make sense and some of them do. Please don't look any deeper into it. I just want to enjoy this forum as it has given me a wealth of information on my Fit in a very short time.
I used to live in the San Francisco Bay area (more accurately, the South SF Bay/San Jose area). No longer, thank goodness! Anyway, if I were still there, there are six Honda dealers in the South Bay area that I could easily travel to in order to buy a car:

Anderson Honda - Palo Alto
Hopkins Honda - Sunnyvale
Stevens Creek Honda - San Jose/Santa Clara
Capitol Honda - San Jose
South Bay Honda - Milpitas
Autowest Honda - Fremont

If I was willing to drive farther, I could add more to the list. All these dealers know that if I don’t like their deal, I can take a short drive down the road to the next one and see what they’re willing to do. The competition is fierce, and they tend to price their cars accordingly. I’m not at all surprised at the relatively low prices being quoted by these dealers. It’s one of the few benefits IMO that offset the many hassles that otherwise go along with living there.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xm8
Which San Francisco bay area dealership offers the best price on a Fit Sport Auto (No Nav)?
Go to TrueCar.com and check out the best price.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:50 PM
This site may help in your search. New Cars Pricing and Comparisons Local, Regional and National Car Price Reports at TrueCar I purchased my 2010 Fit Sport Manual from the Honda dealer in Fairfield, just west of Vacaville for $16,290 on Sunday.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:37 PM
xm8
Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Steve Hopkins Honda. The internet sales person is Mat Lipp I think. It was a positive experience.