2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

A very bright future for our 1.5L engine?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:51 AM
A very bright future for our 1.5L engine?!?!

Does this translate to a more aftermarket bolt-on development for our 1.5L engine???
A 4WD swap for the FIT???
Are you feeling it???

Key notes:

・ FWD models are certified by Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism as complying with the 2010 + 25% fuel economy standard.
・ 4WD models are certified by Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism as complying with the 2010 + 5% fuel economy standard.

Honda Begins Sales of All-New Compact Multi-Wagon Freed Spike

Check out the Freed Spike Mugen Kit too on it's next article

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 08-10-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
The 4WD is not something I would cherish with the anemic output of the L15A. That additional weight to lug around would be too much. Not enough torque to really be of much use. It would just take away from the Fit's fun nature. It is sold more for those who live in the northern areas of Japan with a lot of snow. Granted those same environments exist in North America, but would people actually pay for it?

Would people pay $22000 for a Fit? Honda and all of the Japanese makes are really losing some YEN with this crappy $ exchange on vehicles made in Japan and being exported. I'm glad I got my Fit when I did, because instead of it costing $22000 (before additional taxes) it would of cost another $1500.

The Freed is also not a fun drive, it is just even more of a people mover, imagine hauling around 7 individuals with the L15 as the heart. On top of that, it is not offered with a MT, so the drive would be even more dull if loaded up to capacity. It's heavier, as well as more top heavy with it's tallish nature and by heavy I mean upwards of 520lbs. Imagine driving with the AC on, just 4 people in tow. No thank you.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:29 AM
not trying to sell the FREED...

I'm trying to sell the notion that because the 1.5L engine can now be found in the FIT, CR-Z and FREED... we might see a surge in aftermarket bolt-on development for the engine.

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 08-10-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
not trying to sell the FREED...

I'm trying to sell the notion that because the 1.5L engine can now be found in the FIT, CR-Z and FREED... we might see a surge in aftermarket bolt-on development for the engine.
Ahh ok, gotcha. Hopefully you're right

Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Don't forget the 1.5L is also getting love in the Formula F

SCCA approves Honda Fit-based engine for Formula F — Autoblog

"Original equipment in the 2009 Honda Fit, the L15A7 is a fuel-injected, 1.5-liter, overhead cam engine, at the beginning of its current production generation. Per Honda corporate policy, a minimum of 10 years' parts support is mandated at the conclusion of production.
HPD will supply all parts from intake through exhaust, including multiple chassis conversion kits. The result will be a modern and reliable engine requiring minimal maintenance and tuning.
Specifically, HPD expects to offer FF competitors the opportunity to reduce their engine operating costs. Engine rebuilds will be reduced, while competitors should also experience a reduction in the need for top-end refreshing. In addition, crankshaft and valve-spring life should be extended dramatically; and most ignition and all carburetor maintenance will be eliminated.
The first conversion kit offered will be for the venerable Swift DB-1. This complete, race-ready package will sell for $11,750. It will include a base L15A7 engine, FF engine conversion kit (including intake, exhaust, dry sump, restrictor plate and ECU), and a bolt-in DB-1 chassis conversion kit, to permit installation of the engine without welding or other major modifications. Individual component parts will also be available for purchase separately.
Delivery of kits will begin in early February of 2010 and will follow in the order that requests are received. Deposits of $500, which will ensure a place on the delivery list, are being accepted."

I think you are right TheEvilOne...hopefully we see this soon.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 08-10-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:36 AM
It would be nice to see some more aftermarket support. I see the awd system as pointless however.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Don't forget the 1.5L is also getting love in the Formula F

"HPD will supply all parts from intake through exhaust, including multiple chassis conversion kits. The result will be a modern and reliable engine requiring minimal maintenance and tuning.
Specifically, HPD expects to offer FF competitors the opportunity to reduce their engine operating costs. Engine rebuilds will be reduced, while competitors should also experience a reduction in the need for top-end refreshing. In addition, crankshaft and valve-spring life should be extended dramatically; and most ignition and all carburetor maintenance will be eliminated."

"...FF engine conversion kit (including intake, exhaust, dry sump, restrictor plate and ECU)."
The bold face quote is rather souring...the whole reason for using this engine, it appears, is that it will be "all factory specs."

I wonder if the provided ECU will be a reflash...if so, I wonder how much this could be purchased separately???

Old 08-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Ya know, Evil...after coming off our recent persuasion of JDP to produce the hood....I wonder if we could use the same tactics to persuade Hondata to produce a reflash. SRSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
The 4WD is not something I would cherish with the anemic output of the L15A. That additional weight to lug around would be too much. Not enough torque to really be of much use. It would just take away from the Fit's fun nature. It is sold more for those who live in the northern areas of Japan with a lot of snow. Granted those same environments exist in North America, but would people actually pay for it?

Would people pay $22000 for a Fit? Honda and all of the Japanese makes are really losing some YEN with this crappy $ exchange on vehicles made in Japan and being exported. I'm glad I got my Fit when I did, because instead of it costing $22000 (before additional taxes) it would of cost another $1500.

The Freed is also not a fun drive, it is just even more of a people mover, imagine hauling around 7 individuals with the L15 as the heart. On top of that, it is not offered with a MT, so the drive would be even more dull if loaded up to capacity. It's heavier, as well as more top heavy with it's tallish nature and by heavy I mean upwards of 520lbs. Imagine driving with the AC on, just 4 people in tow. No thank you.
The civic wagon 4wd 4th gen weights almost the same as a fit and move decently with 10hp less than the fit.
I have the 3g wagon 4wd with only 75hp, it's slow but since it's my winter car mostly (I have a toyota mr2 for summer) the 4wd benefits are much better than the lost of a bit power at the wheels/extra weight.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
Ya know, Evil...after coming off our recent persuasion of JDP to produce the hood....I wonder if we could use the same tactics to persuade Hondata to produce a reflash. SRSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We probably could but we have to wait until we pay off our JDP hoods lol

If we can get enough interest though, I would like to find out how much the reflash would cost so we can start saving up for it

Old 08-10-2010, 03:03 PM
K-pro is $999. I believe Flash-pro is $699 (for 06+ si)... so somewhere in that ballpark.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
K-pro is $999. I believe Flash-pro is $699 (for 06+ si)... so somewhere in that ballpark.
Maybe we can get a group discount if we get 10+ people? I'm down for the reflash but I gotta save up for coils!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:19 PM
LAWLZ....reflash doesn't even exist for da Fit....YET!!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
ohhh right...

Well in any case, still gotta save up for it right?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:36 PM
HAHAHA you're really pushing your luck now... I guess that's why it's called "LUCK"
I can only go so far as I have a Sport A/T
If I had the M/T.......

Old 08-10-2010, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Not to be a bubble burster, but I don't really see a surge happening because the L15 is used in a few models. Look at the models and then look at the masses that would be purchasing these models. I doubt anybody here in Japan that buys a Freed is looking to go beat on it at a circuit, touge or whatever and I can not be for certain without looking at every market Honda website, but I believe the Freed is a home market product only. Even the Fit, I see so many everyday here that are what they were when the owner took delivery of it from Honda.

About the Formula program, they are using completely stock engines without any internal upgrades. The most that may be seen is as stated, the programming of the ECU and being that they are open-wheel cars, you will see special induction boxes where that excess airflow will be compensated for by the tuning of the ECU. Considering J's already can reflash the JDM ECU, I guess it is just a matter of time for stateside companies to jump on board as well, which hopefully they do. And looking at other regions here in Asia (Thailand and Indonesia) they are using the Dastek piggy-back solution on both MT and AT vehicles. I am really holding off on the J's reflash and just biding time and hoping for a FlashPro from Hondata. I doubt it is going to happen, but that doesn't mean it won't. I've asked online, but never got 1 reply from Doug or Derek or any of the staff about it. Pretty disheartening since I really miss KPro from the 5R and AP2 and the ability to pull out power from tuning.

Who really knows though? I believe that really the CR-Z is the best bet for the 2nd generation L15 seeing any sort of internal upgrades. As far as engine bolt-ons go, what actually are you looking to bolt-on that you can not already purchase? Serious question.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 AM
but... but... but... I want a boosted FIT that runs on all four

I know.. I'm dreaming

Old 08-11-2010, 01:13 AM
i want to see a L15 with an Intake/Header/Full Exhaust/and a Hondata Flash put some numbers down.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to burst another bubble, but as far as I know, the exhaust manifold (where a *pointless* header would go) is integrated into the actual head of the engine, so therefore a header isn't possible.

Don't see why people are so deadset on getting power from this engine, it's not going to just wake up all of a sudden and have 100 more hp...everything has limits and I'm certain the L15's limits are low.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
And looking at other regions here in Asia (Thailand and Indonesia) they are using the Dastek piggy-back solution on both MT and AT vehicles.
Over here in the Philippines, Dastek's Unichip piggyback ECU is also used for boosted Jazz applications.

Originally Posted by Hondafrk
Sorry to burst another bubble, but as far as I know, the exhaust manifold (where a *pointless* header would go) is integrated into the actual head of the engine, so therefore a header isn't possible.
Performance-wise this is one of the biggest differences between the GDs and GEs. The GDs you could make a custom header for (supposedly for up to 6 WHP gain); the GE L-series engines you can't. As you mentioned, the integrated manifold is very similar to how the R18A1 FA/FD Civic engines have it. Any "header" application would be a simple downpipe swap + cat delete job.

Quick Reply: A very bright future for our 1.5L engine?!?!