2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I wish I would have...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:40 AM
I wish I would have...

So, who thought about getting a Fit and got something else? More importantly, who got something besides a Fit and are back? I was here a few years back. Was pretty settled on a Fit to replace my F-350. Ended up in an Outback instead. Mostly dealer driven. My Honda dealer pissed me off, no other way to put it. But now, a year and a half later, I still want a Fit every time I see one. So I'm curious who else went through this, ended up with something else and went back to a Fit, who stuck with that original decision, etc. I'll admit a VW GTI was my other choice and I still think the same about that as a Fit. But either would be more satisfying than the Outback. So who else has thought along this line?????

Old 08-08-2010, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
My Aunt almost bought a Fit a few years ago. Ever since then I kept my eye on them. I figured if it was good enough for her, it was good enough for me. She researched the hell out of the car. When it came time for me to finally get a new car, the choice was made. And the icing on the cake was the new GE series was out, which I prefer.

I came from a PT Cruiser, which is nowhere near as economical as you would expect. My boyfriend has an '02 Outback and now has his eyes on the '10 or newer Outback. The new ones have been refined so well and finally have the legroom we both want. Alas, it can't do 36 MPG in the city like my Fit.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:27 AM
I've never bought the same car twice... in fact, I usually don't buy the same genre twice! Sedan - Coupe - Jeep - Pickup - SUV - SUV - Hatch. I guess there's not much left except minivan and roadster!

I did testdrive the newly arrived '07 Fit when I bought my Element in late '06. I wasn't terribly impressed with it. The legroom felt pinched, lack of a dead-pedal bugged me, and the steering wheel too far away and non-adjustable. Ironically, the Element suffered from similar issues, though less acutely, and these were a large factor in being ready to trade it in. Being a gas-sucker didn't help when gas shot up to $4.60/gallon, and I got my toes wet witha 60 mpg motorcycle (which I swapped for a much faster 50 mpg motorcycle after a few months).

I'm not entirely sure I'd another Fit if I had to replace this one, simply because buying another car just like my current car sounds incredibly boring. Would probably look at a Mustang, maybe an Accord Coupe, or a Mini Clubman.

But for now, the primary goal is to pay this car off as quickly as possible and not have a payment, and have a nice, undemanding runabout while I invest in the 2 wheeled world for my driving excitement.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
I've owned Hondas across the board for the last 16 years except for our last car. The last car we bought was the Altima. Much like your experience, we went to the Honda Dealer here and talked with the sales guy. The sales manager (whom I loathe - as he is the epitome of a used car salesman) lowballed us on my integra and my wife's civic so bad that I told them that the deal was off. My wife and I decided to wait and about a year later, when we really needed another 4DR, we compared the Accord and Altima. The Altima was in it's 1st year of the current Gen and the Accord the last year so the Altima was a much better buy. The Nissan Dealer also gave us $1k more on trade (a year later) than the Honda dealer offered (a year prior). Both cars had 8k more miles on them.

We bought a Nissan. Great car and I have to say I could recommend it to anyone. The VQ35 is definitely a superbly refined engine and the car was quiet and rode nice. Two years with that car and practically no issues (the few we had were really minor) but the car became too much for us. $350 payments, 27mpg on Midgrade with a 52 mile commute round trip. It was also a CVT and a heavy car both of which gave a lack of enjoyment in driving. (the CVT was GREAT on hilly highways with the cruise control.).

We gave the Honda dealer one last chance and we walked in knowing what we wanted. They low-balled me again so I told them I wanted $1500 difference between trade in price and the price of the FIT and didn't care where it came from. Either raise the trade value.... or lower the price of the fit. I also researched the other used cars on the lot to see what their selling price was VS what KBB said it should be... This let me know what I could expect to see my altima out on the lot for. I told the sales manager (the other one - not the used car greasy looking guy) what they would sell it for, that I knew they had $500 worth of reconditioning needed on trade-ins (this was pure BS on my part but made the dealer realize that I understand there was "business" that needed to be done) then told them that I thought the amount of Profit they would make was plenty. We held firm to the $1500 difference and a week later they called and asked me to come back. we did... Signed some paperwork, and had them find me a white fit. 1 week later, the car was out on the lot for $30 less than what I told them they would put it out for. (I also saved another $500 because the Altima was due for it's $500 30K mile service and instead of doing it, I traded )

I'm back to Honda (well... never left... we still have our 06 Ridgeline), with a 5MT, getting 38mpg and I'm back to driving... not just riding to work.

~SB

Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I recently moved to DC area and got rid of my G37 coupe and bought a Fit for practical purposes. The Fit is a great car, but I really miss my G. I'm thinking of going back to it when it gets redesigned '13 or so (and when I move out of the city area).

Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neoprag
I recently moved to DC area and got rid of my G37 coupe and bought a Fit for practical purposes. The Fit is a great car, but I really miss my G. I'm thinking of going back to it when it gets redesigned '13 or so (and when I move out of the city area).
My '09 Fit Sport got totaled a couple of months ago. I really enjoyed the car, but getting broadsided to the tune of $15K damage left me leary of smaller cars (for the time being, anyway).

I decided to take over my wife's Mazda '08 CX-9, and bought her a new Infiniti G37X coupe. Somewhat impractical, relatively poor gas mileage, but gobs of power (330 hp) and a pleasure to drive. Even at $6K off the sticker, it was at the high end of my buying power.

Funny thing, I still refer back to this forum about as often as the G37 forums. I guess I'll always be a GE owner at heart.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
One thing that strikes me, not only Honda and The Fit but at numerous automotive websites, is that the majority of people hate their experience with their local dealers. IMO the whole dealership part of the industry needs major re-working. I almost never hear positive feedback from anyone about their dealership as a whole. Either on the sales end, or the service end and often both.

The only thing that levels the playing field is the uniformity of the crappiness. But I wonder if car manufacturers and even dealerships realize how much business they are losing because of badly trained sales people and poor business practices.

Oh, and I think it's just human nature to wonder about the road not taken. The trick is not to let what might of been ruin your experience with what you have chosen. As much as we love our automobiles, they are ultimately only machines whatever one we choose.

Last edited by fitchet; 08-08-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:53 PM
i was a bit skeptic about the honda Fit, I wasn't a fan of the 07-08 style, but the 09 redesign appealed to me a lot more.
I currently own a 2009 silver fit sport with navi, SSM 5spd Auto and absolutely luv the car.
Im 6ft 5 and i have more leg and head room in the fit sport then I do in a lexus IS 350 and many other cars! plus the 350-450 miles per tank is amazing on a $30 fill. The car isn't the quickest off line but once you get going i am surprised what the 5spd Auto and 1.5L will do, no problem going 70-85mph on the freeways in California and passing the V8 SUVs and Trucks going up the mountains. This compact car packs a punch, the FIT nameplate is perfect. Consumers reports rated the 2009 and 2010 fit as a tope value for reliability and economical operation, compared to 280 other cars. So that must tell you something!

dealers are out to make money and of course they will try to maximize their profit. you definitely have to shop around. The fit is not a cheaply made car,
i recently saw a hyundai and kia, was surprised to see styrafoam under the bumper covers! like how cheap is that!

Old 08-08-2010, 02:31 PM
we drove the Fit, then drove others and were not impressed, especially with lack of legroom in the Matrix and others I'm 6'3 and am very comfy in the Fit.
We both love it and love the functionality of it. I call it my 'Lil Mule' from Romancing the Stone.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by canuck901
dealers are out to make money and of course they will try to maximize their profit. you definitely have to shop around. The fit is not a cheaply made car,
i recently saw a hyundai and kia, was surprised to see styrafoam under the bumper covers! like how cheap is that!
Not sure about the current Gen civic but I know my wife's 98 Civic and my Integra both had Styrofoam behind the bumper cover. it's actually a good Idea as it can take a good impact and will protect quite well. Many Helmets use Styrofoam as their shock absorption material. it's also very cheap to manufacture and replace if needed. It can also work as a sound deaden-er in many cases - this not being one.

Heck the entire rear lip wing on my prelude was a squeezable foam. It was weirdly practical.

~SB

Old 08-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I wish I would have...

... been in the market for a non-business related car purchase during the time I purchased the Fit. I would have got me a brand spankin new 2010 mazdaspeed3 for $18K + tax/fess

Old 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Hope you decide to come back to the Fit - Have to say it was my first choice after testing a Versa, Yaris and a Cobolt. I am really happy I went with the Fit.

Cat :x