2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

how much should i ask for???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:50 PM
how much should i ask for???

So I bought a white 2010 Honda Fit Sport a few months ago but got into an accident the other day. I was trying to turn left on yellow at an intersection and thought the other car was slowing down but instead, it sped up, swerved right and crashed into the right corner/side of my car. By crashed, I mean smashed/obliterated. I just found out today that it's a total loss but insurance is covering most of it and I'm planning on buying a new one soon.

When I called the dealership where I originally bought my car, they told me they could give me $50 off the original price (including sales tax, license and registration and everything) which was $19k. So basically they offered me a second Honda Fit Sport, exactly the same as my first, for $18,950. I have State Farm insurance and I guess they think that because my insurance is good, they'll cover everything. I was wondering if anyone knew how much I should be asking for for the second car? I was thinking about going to a different dealer and explaining my situation. Please help! I need to buy this new car asap to move for my new job.

Here are pictures, in case anyone is interested:

Needless to say, I'm heartbroken. If anyone can give me some advice on getting a good deal for the next car, that'd be great. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Not sure I understand the problem. Dealer is giving you a deal, if it's totaled then it gets a salvage registration if put back on the road. You want no part of that, do you?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
back to driver's ed!

jk =]

Last edited by kyoo; 08-05-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Lightbulb Not sure...

How much sales tax and license are in Illinois, but the price seems a little high...(sorry to see your squashed Fit)

Might want to check this thread
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ur-fit-22.html
and this one...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ce-report.html

Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
my thinking was that essentially the dealership has sold two cars.. she should get more discount for the car no?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Why should she get any discount, not the dealer's fault that the first car was involved in an accident. If her insurance pays off the first car, then it's paid off. Start again from "Go", but don't collect $200.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Why should she get any discount, not the dealer's fault that the first car was involved in an accident. If her insurance pays off the first car, then it's paid off. Start again from "Go", but don't collect $200.
Correct - the insurance stance is to "make whole".

Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
people get loyalty discounts all the time when they return to dealerships - it's not about the accident, it's about the fact that they've basically sold 2 cars. she could go to any other dealership and get any other car

Old 08-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Insurance stance is one thing - Dealer Loyalty Respect is another, worth the try.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
A few years ago, I was in a similar accident.

The light had turned red and I started to move, took a moment to realize the other car wasn't stopping for the red. I stopped and honked. The other driver then proceeded to rip my (brand new***) bumper off.

There were two stupid things about t. Obviously, the first being he ran a red light. The second was, if he had "swerved" even just a few inches (open lane next to hm), he wouldn't have hit me.

I just had the bumper, left fender, left tire replaced along with them repainting my left door because a guy in an econoline van next to me decided to make a right turn from a "straight" lane and not realizing I, in a smaller sedan, was there waiting to turn. I wasn't moving because I couldn't see any oncoming traffic to my right because of his huge van. He started moving and crunch.

Hum, as for the second car... I dunno.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by kyoo
my thinking was that essentially the dealership has sold two cars.. she should get more discount for the car no?
I dunno about that. From the dealer point of view, its not like you're getting much of a volume efficiency. IE if you were buying 3 cars at once, I could see a discount, but not much of one in this situation.

Really the best advice is to approach this like any other new car purchase. Get quotes from multiple dealers, shop the best price around, etc. But since you know exactly what you want, you should be able to get quotes pretty quick.

Edit, to detail what I'd do: Goto Edmunds.com and use their "Get a Free Price Quote" form. Specify what you want. Contact all dealers that are in a reasonable distance from you. By tomorrow afternoon, you'll have real quotes from several of them. Take the best quote number from that to the dealer you like the best and ask them to beat it. If they do, then go with them. If they don't go with the best price.

Last edited by malraux; 08-05-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 PM
My parents just paid $16,600 for a Fit Sport (non Nav) in Florida with 0.9% financing. She used online quotes from carsdirect.com and shophonda.com and took them into the dealership with her, which they price matched.

Last edited by Blue; 08-06-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't know about where you guys are, but here in Phoenix, no dealer has any loyalty or relationship with anyone. Like trying to deal with a rattlesnake.