2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cruising at 70 mph in fit on Freeway

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
I have to be honest the Fit is not the smooth, quiet highway cruiser compared to other cars I had/have... my Acura CL-S and TSX are way way way smoother and quieter than the Fit but they also weight +1000lbs more (alot of that insulation) and they are a lot more $$$ so I'm not complaining about the Fit.
Where I see the Fit shine the most is mpg and cost of ownership. I bought the Fit to be fun, economical, cheap, and roomy. If it is slightly louder at 70-75 mph its well worth the added mpg and $$ in my pocket.
For what its worth we almost always take the Fit on road trips because the 40 mpg and endless storage greatly over throws the slightly quieter sound and 33 mpg of our TSX.

Okay, if you are going to compare with the CL-S which is a V6, and the TSX which is at 2.4L engine, these are very different engines altogether. One is a V6 which is expected to be smoother than the small 1.5L 4 banger, and the other is the 2.4L inline 4 which, due to it's displacement makes it smoother upon acceleration. The latter case, smaller displacement engines are expected to be noiser and rougher than its larger displacement counterparts.

When I said smooth, I am not talking about hard accelerations, which the Fit will "THROW A FIT" and grumble and snarl roughly. I meant when the Fit is idling, its smooth, when it's cruising at 75 mph, I think it is smooth and not that noisy at all.

Why not compare the fit 1.5L engine with a V8? The V8 will trump the 1.5L engine, no doubt.

Let's compare apples with apples here.

In terms of small displacement engines, I really think the Honda fit is leading the pack, aside from the small displacement engines they use in Europe, which is known to be well tuned (given it's long history there).

Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Smooth

Originally Posted by mav238
When I said smooth, I am not talking about hard accelerations, which the Fit will "THROW A FIT" and grumble and snarl roughly. I meant when the Fit is idling, its smooth, when it's cruising at 75 mph, I think it is smooth and not that noisy at all.

Why not compare the fit 1.5L engine with a V8? The V8 will trump the 1.5L engine, no doubt.

In terms of small displacement engines, I really think the Honda fit is leading the pack, aside from the small displacement engines they use in Europe, which is known to be well tuned (given it's long history there).
I agree that the Fit at 75MPH is not that noisy [save for the tire drone], and I do like what I hear.

Smooth - "Nothing rides like a Cadillac." You're transported in living room luxury.

The driver/car relationship in a Fit is much higher than in a Deville.

Put the L15 engine next to a NorthStar engine they will both sound equally beautiful.

286HP just has a whole lot more 'body' than the 114HP. They both can sound rather mean if wound to their limits.

Beautiful engines.

What we all are about to see is an explosion in automotive engine technology. I mean we as in USA.

You're right, the European/Asian Nations have been conservation conscious for decades and decades - part of their history.

All the technology is coming together into a Global market. It's all about the money.

K_C_

Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
The reason why the MT is at a higher RPM than the AT is because of the difference in the final gears. The MT has a higher final gear than then AT.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
The reason why the MT is at a higher RPM than the AT is because of the difference in the final gears. The MT has a higher final gear than then AT.
Equalize them by adding an overdrive sixth to the MT.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Equalize them by adding an overdrive sixth to the MT.
A 6th gear would definitely help for the MT. Notice how the CR-Z has a 6-Speed MT.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:15 PM
i prefer 60-65... i have cruised times though at 70-80 and its a little noisy and mpg suffers...really needs a m6 in it

Old 08-04-2010, 11:29 PM
A while back we drove the Japan-market CR-Z 2+2 equipped with the continuously variable transmission (R&T, July 2010) and found the acceleration to be downright somnambulant...10.5 seconds to 60 mph. But these 2-seat U.S. cars were fitted with the 6-speed manual (a CVT is optional), and acceleration proved, er, what’s the phrase I’m looking for here, not dead slow.
somnambulant - now that's a word you don't hear often. Different from 'boged down', however.

This thing is geared/powered to be economical. Next generation of engine/gear box's.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
As for noise. a taller 5th would be nicer... something like 5th from the auto would be nice. the problem is, the engine would likely get lugged too often with gearing like that on the highway. with an auto, the trans chooses for you and if you read up on many who drive highway in the auto, it downshifts pretty quickly when beginning up a hill. without some additional torque (really only available from a larger engine), the top end will need to be a shorter gear on the 5MT. a 6th would be nice but the same problem would [I think] occur. Other manufacturers don't run into this as much because of their engine sizes. most are 1.6 or 1.8L motors which adds the necessary torque.

As for Smoothness on the road. I feel the fit is a great driver but it is more go-kart like than the others. Part of the charm of the fit is the responsiveness but it is more of a driver's car than the yaris or Versa. those are more "rider's" cars and toyota is known for it's "floaty" feeling across the line.

~SB
People who drive standard (there aren't so many and they aren't forced too) should know how to drive it properly, so make like the A/T and downshift when needed...
And the echo/yaris can deal greatly with the small engine size and longer gears that will keep the car fuel efficient on highway, while not being too slow even without downshifts.
The echo hatchback m/t is probably the funniest sub compact to drive on NA market since the swift GTi actually (without compromising too much fuel efficient, comfort, or noise level). Nothing to do with the yaris (which is still decent).

And the versa, even if it has 6 gears and a supposedly good renault chassis, really sucks, much more than the yaris or the accent (more fun than the yaris, even if it's not a better car overall).
And in my old underpowered geo metro or my even older underpowered civic wagon, I don't mind the sound, but in a two years old, "powerful" car, that isn't that cheap to buy, I do care. Toyota are smoother, but it's not a reason to take a tercel 1995 as benchmark (which seems to be the case on the fit for noise level). And probably that better than oem 175 tires and a 6th gear would help a lot, wind noise are actually well contained (on our toyota camry and mr2 we have some). Just face it, Honda did wrong with the gearbox, they should fix it but they won't, it sucks. And even performance wise, a bit longer first gears would not hurt (and higher rev limiter).

And in Europe, most auto makers now adopted small turbo engines, like the fiat multi air, VW tsi, PSA THP, Renault TCE, which apparently give good daily drive performances (low end torque) and great fuel economy. I wonder why VW doesn't scrap the 2.slow 8 valves for the 1.4tsi in the next jetta.

Last edited by broody; 08-05-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:09 AM
I like to hear the engine in my car, but maybe I'm weird? Love my 5MT, only thing I could ask for is another gear.

I've driven lots of different cars.. is the Fit the quietest? No. Is it the worst? No way... Spent a lot of time in a late model Taurus.. that was a loud car on the inside.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
I think the fit is actually in the top 3 worst cars concerning quietness (remove things that aren't cars like jeeps).

Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by mav238
Okay, if you are going to compare with the CL-S which is a V6, and the TSX which is at 2.4L engine, these are very different engines altogether. One is a V6 which is expected to be smoother than the small 1.5L 4 banger, and the other is the 2.4L inline 4 which, due to it's displacement makes it smoother upon acceleration. The latter case, smaller displacement engines are expected to be noiser and rougher than its larger displacement counterparts.

I was just stating my personal experience with my prior cars that's all. Obviously these are different engines (thanks for stating the obvious). Actually these are completely different cars w/ different purposes which my post clearly states. If you read my post carefully I did give honda props for an overall great car at a great price.

When you state....."I think it is smooth and not that noisy at all." This sounds more of an opinion than anything...btw what are you comparing this to? A tractor? A diesel truck?..please specify . I at least told you what I was comparing my personal experience to.

Now since we all want to compare "apples to apples" lets get exact sones / dba #'s to compare it to.

For sh*ts and giggles lets actually throw some test data out there for comparison instead of opinion.

Cruising @ 70 mph, sones/dBA

2011 FORD FIESTA SES
24.7/67.5

2010 HONDA FIT SPORT
25.2/67.6

2010 NISSAN VERSA 1.8 SL
23.8/66.0

2010 TOYOTA YARIS
27.0/69.2

2011 Ford Fiesta SES vs. 2010 Honda Fit Sport vs. 2010 Toyota Yaris vs. 2010 Nissan Versa Specifications - Motor Trend

If you want to know what some "Luxury" cars are here are some examples
Cruising @ 60 mph sones / dba (not quite 70 mph but close)

2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS 18.3 sones (63.7 dbA)

2010 Lexus ES 350 17.0 sones (and 62.6 dbA)

Obviously these are way more expensive cars with way more insulation. But just wanted to show some other cars not in the same small displacement category.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/results.html

As a point of reference the average person talking is 6 sones.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 08-05-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
It's the AT models.
The Yaris M/T is quieter than the M/T fit for sure.
The yaris m/t is at the noise level of the 6 speed versa at cruising speeds.

And how does the fiesta gets only 2.5 turns lock to lock while having a bigger steering ratio than the fit? The fit is 2.5 turns also and with 12.7 steering ratio, and imo the maximum angle of the wheels (and turning radius) isn't great, so it's worst on the fiesta? Or I don't understand what the steering ratio is. Both have the same turning circle and almost the same wheelbase..

The fit also has the worst 60-0.
The fiesta looks good (the only sub compact I didn't drive yet), just too bad that the interior is so small and impratical (I sat in it), and that it's a ford.

Last edited by broody; 08-05-2010 at 03:43 PM.