2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Window visor issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Window visor issue

Hey guys, I have the mugen window visors on my car and all of the sudden they're fading. I've never seen anything like it before. Anyone had any ideas? I may try some "back to black" or something. It looks kinda like the plastic is just drying out. I'm really disappointed though. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!
Name:  f22c3a3c.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  49.0 KB

Old 08-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Ewwwww.....

Well are they the official mugen window visors or knock offs? If they are knock off ones, then i am not surprised. Knock offs are not made of high quality materials and will do that. But if they are real then you must be using something when you wash your car that is causing it to fade/dry out like that

Last edited by Mr.Bubbles; 08-02-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
real or not, it happens to both and even oem ones. you letting it sit too much in the sun and its beginning to oxidize. you can just to take a fine grit wet sandpaper and try to puff it out. or take it to a local shop.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Old 08-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by nickroz
If you try this let us know what you melted.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
they sure as hell better be real for what i paid. jk, they're real, notice the clips, replicas only have the tape, no clips.

i guess it might be the car wash stuff i use, hadn't thought about that, but it's the same stuff i've been using for a while, but this is my first set of window visors, so I have no prior experience.

i might try wet sanding them, or may using the headlight restoration stuff?? what do you think about that? i'm a little worried about taking a heat gun to it.

i park outside all the time, i'm not sure what to do to prevent this. any good ideas?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I would take a heat gun to it before sandpaper. I'm thinking that once you 'sand' them they'll be shot, sort of a dull matt finish.

How long did that take?

Door visors you can't leave out in the sun make no sense. I've got OEM's - hope I'm not seeing the future here.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
though you think oem would last, but ive seen many oem visors on dc's, eg's and ek's get the same or worse. try to buff them out first, or better yet go to a body shop or detail guru and see what they think first.

if they cant be fixed and you dont want to buy another set cause the moogens is bank, just paint them black. ive seen some people do that before, it looked clean.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Strange question but what do you use to clean your car? Also take a look at some protective sealants or coatings, or something to help guard against the uv damage. Im sure that could work. After you fix the current problem or get new ones of course.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
i'll take it to detail tomorrow. and yes, the mugens are bank. i saw some people tinting them before, but i think it would be really difficult with the curves, i could try vht nightshade paint though.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
i use nxt generation mequiars car wash.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
I could be wrong.

But given the patchy look? It certainly seems like a chemical reaction specific to certain areas. Which makes me think it IS something you're using to clean your automobile that is reacting badly to the plastic and sunlight.

The surrounding black trim looks fine.

How quickly did this happen? That looks so extensive I can't imagine it happening overnight.

But if you are using a true automotive car wash I can't think what it could be.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Here's some info from The Journal of Mine Action. Seems they were looking for a way to clean polycarbonate face shields.

Visor Scratch Repair and Prevention by Andrew Heafitz, Benjamin Linder, Marta Luczynska and Mark Scott (10.2)

These are the front line guys who defuse things. You can guess how important face shields are.

K_C_

Old 08-02-2010, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Could it be mineral deposits from the water you're using?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I could be wrong.

But given the patchy look? It certainly seems like a chemical reaction specific to certain areas. Which makes me think it IS something you're using to clean your automobile that is reacting badly to the plastic and sunlight.

The surrounding black trim looks fine.

How quickly did this happen? That looks so extensive I can't imagine it happening overnight.

But if you are using a true automotive car wash I can't think what it could be.
its possible but if so would there be more damage on the rest of the area? or it could be a mixture of the chemicals and sun causing the upper portion only.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:55 PM
I think it's UV damage to the plastic.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
i feel like uv damage is probably most likely. after reading the article on a heat gun, i guess i could try that... just worries me a little bit. let me check with detail tomorrow and see what they say...i'd imagine they'll say wetsand.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by jnesselroad
i feel like uv damage is probably most likely. after reading the article on a heat gun, i guess i could try that... just worries me a little bit. let me check with detail tomorrow and see what they say...i'd imagine they'll say wetsand.
I'm sure that wet sand will be their first choice, that heat gun thing is 'outside the box'. I've never heard of it before but looks simple enough. The article was a bit over the top, these are simply door visors, but worth the try.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:03 PM
don't worry about the heat gun... I would sand that visor first before the heat gun.
I use blow torch on a lightly sanded plexiglass for that crystal clear final process.

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 08-02-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
This is one very big reason why I haven't bought the visors. My car gets sun blasted in my driveway and I'm not about to start shuffling the car around just to keep visors nice. I've never seen visors hold up well long term on any car. They're cheap plastic you pay through the nose for, for some reason. You didn't mention how old your visors are. That damage looks like they've been on a car for ten years, seriously. If they're relatively new, I'd be thinking defect and trying for warranty replacements.

Dan

Quick Reply: Window visor issue