2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My wife stole my Fit!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Can someone please describe to me how this transfer of new car -> wife happens in the real world? I'm not married, and really don't understand this, but then again, in my world the women aren't "always right." Which is why I'm single..

Old 07-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Ahh hayden, even us single guys know that a Happy Woman means a Happy World....

Now before I get slammed let me also point out that Happiness is a two way street based upon Trust and Understanding so the inverse certainly applies.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Mostly when you're married, huge purchases like cars are jointly owned - not necessarily legally (I owned the Civic before me got married and only my name is on the title), but certainly practically. The Fit is "my car" inasmuch as I drive it all the time, but in reality it's "our" car. She has a key to it. She knows how to drive stick. She doesn't need my permission to drive it. If she "asks" it's only to make sure I wasn't planning to go to the hardware store and fill the Fit with crap that won't fit in the Civic

On an ongoing basis, she's the one that's gotta hoist 30+ lbs of baby and carseat into the car when I'm not around during the day, so if she asked me to start taking the Civic to work, I'd really have no good reason to say no.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
When the double standards end, I'll go back to the tried-and-true way. Otherwise, I think that as far as needs being met in a relationship go, it's out of balance in favor of the feminine side. Real feminists would probably agree with me, or at least validate some of the points I could make on the matter. Don't want to derail the thread too much here.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
Mostly when you're married, huge purchases like cars are jointly owned - not necessarily legally (I owned the Civic before me got married and only my name is on the title), but certainly practically. The Fit is "my car" inasmuch as I drive it all the time, but in reality it's "our" car. She has a key to it. She knows how to drive stick. She doesn't need my permission to drive it. If she "asks" it's only to make sure I wasn't planning to go to the hardware store and fill the Fit with crap that won't fit in the Civic

On an ongoing basis, she's the one that's gotta hoist 30+ lbs of baby and carseat into the car when I'm not around during the day, so if she asked me to start taking the Civic to work, I'd really have no good reason to say no.
Sounds practical and makes sense. I guess it's easy to imagine some poor guy coming home from the dealership glowing with pride over his recent purchase and his spoiled wife demands the car. I know it's a light attitude around the subject, as it's not what it seems, but it's always amusing to entertain the thought when this comes up (of which, over the years, I've seen happen countless times.)

Old 07-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Before I got my Fit I had a Acura CL-S my wife had a Cavalier (college car). She always wanted to take my car...which never happened. So instead we went out and bought her a 08 TSX and she has never looked back. When I downsized to a more practical car (The Fit). I personally wanted a simpler cost to own car. She wanted me to get another "Luxury" car but I wanted something simple, practical, cheap and fun. She she likes the Fit (from a price and storage point of view) but from a DD point of view she loves her TSX. Can you really blame her?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I actually like the Element. It's our beach/dog car. Like many men, I don't do well as a passenger when my wife is driving, so I'll have plenty of chances to drive the Fit!

Old 07-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by hayden
Can someone please describe to me how this transfer of new car -> wife happens in the real world? I'm not married, and really don't understand this, but then again, in my world the women aren't "always right." Which is why I'm single..
Like Krimson_Cardnal said, a Happy Wife is a Happy Life

If you're married and can't share your car, then you've got bigger problems to worry about

Old 07-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
LOL I would just get one for her if that happend. I mean why not both have a Fit inless money was tight and You really needed the Element. Girls you can't live with them and you can't live with out them
Worked for me...I was looking at an '10 Chevy Camaro - two Fits came in $50 less a month than a single Camaro.

Plus, my lease worked out to $8 a day over 3 years. If I quit going to Subway every day, I can easily afford the second one

Old 07-30-2010, 09:21 PM
I have no spouse, but my folks are always bugging me to drive my Fit.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by susanlynn7
I have no spouse, but my folks are always bugging me to drive my Fit.
Do you? Not alone I hope...