2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Mugen Rims after Stock Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by Mr.Bubbles
So around last week I woke up to a sight no fit owner should ever have to see....

Yup....some idiot decided to steal my wheels and tires. Stock ones. They even stole the lug nuts.

So we called the dealership and asked how much it would cost to get new wheels, tires, lug nuts, tpms sensors, labor, etc. The estimate: $3200. I considered buying a pair of Work Emotion wheels and buying some good tires as I would save lots of $$$$$, but because my car was blocking our other car, we needed it moved, and it would have cost more money to have it towed, buying cheap wheels so it can be loaded up, having everything overnighted, installed, buying the tpms sensors and making sure they work and everything I took a different route. I called the dealership and asked them about the Mugen wheels. Just to overnight the wheels and tires was an additional $500. But luckily since we know the owner we got a great deal. They brought some cheap wheels loaded it up on the tow truck took it to the dealer and after 2 days of waiting I got my car back. I got the 205/50/R16 tires with the Mugen XJ 16" Rims. And the cost? $3200. Luckily insurance said all we had to pay was $500. Now I know alot of people are going to comment and say that quote was too high and I should have gone aftermarket and saved $$$$$. Yes I know, believe me I would have loved to see my fit sitting on some Work Emotion wheels, but because of the situation and the fact we needed it done as quickly as possible I got the Mugen rims. Take a look:

Tell me what you guys think. And before anyone says it....yes I know I need to lower the fit, I am in the process of saving up for some coilovers

fck thieves ! Sorry for your lost man. But loving the new wheels. Keep a close eye on it.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 AM
Banned
didn't need to quote all the pics.....

Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
didn't need to quote all the pics.....
didn't need to point it out

Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by insane_one
hmm so as stated above

Stock GE wheels 16x6 +53 185/55/R16
Mugen GE wheels 16x6.5 +55 205/50/R16

My GE came straight from the factory with the Optional wheels installed (my dealerships show room model) and the tires are 205/50/R16. could it be possible that

Optional GE wheels 16x6.5 +55 205/50/R16?

on topic- sorry to hear about the theft. Love those wheels but they're SO expensive! i would think that these wheels being rare now because of the price, it could only get more rarer once they discontinue them. any shots of the car all together with the wheels without black/white effects?

and if im understanding correctly you only had to pay $500 to your insurance company and they got you Mugen wheels?!
Tire size isn't that specific.

You can fit 205/50/16 tires on the stock 16" rims. Each tire has a width range, and the 6" width is close to the smallest most (of this size) will accept.

For example: Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

Look at the specs for it, and you'll see it's 6.5" width with a range of 5.5"-7.5"

You can go as wide as 225 tires on stock 16" rims... have fun fitting that to a (stock) Fit.

But!!! If the "optional" GE wheels are the accessory alloy rims. They ARE 6.5" wide but with a 553 offset (? +53?). According to http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...6inchwheel.pdf anyway.

Last edited by Goobers; 07-29-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
I like the old Mugen rims these are just too big for the little car.

I like these:

Old 07-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by hanzo
I like the old Mugen rims these are just too big for the little car.

I like these:

ooooooo i like those i just wish they weren't as deep, but still good looking, especially that white

Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Another reminder to get a $0 comprehensive deductible.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:46 PM
so sadd

even stock rims get stolen

i think we should put on super lock nuts......

Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
I want to get some wheels locks now.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
I want to get some wheels locks now.
I would. But as someone has already stated even those don't guarantee that your wheels are going to be safe. your best bet is upgrading your alarm and getting a tilt sensor that will sound the alarm if they jack up your vehicle.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Tire size isn't that specific.

You can fit 205/50/16 tires on the stock 16" rims. Each tire has a width range, and the 6" width is close to the smallest most (of this size) will accept.

For example: Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

Look at the specs for it, and you'll see it's 6.5" width with a range of 5.5"-7.5"

You can go as wide as 225 tires on stock 16" rims... have fun fitting that to a (stock) Fit.

But!!! If the "optional" GE wheels are the accessory alloy rims. They ARE 6.5" wide but with a 553 offset (? +53?). According to http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...6inchwheel.pdf anyway.

well from what i understood was that when he bought his Mugen XJ's Honda required 205/50's for tires. And my car coming FROM the factory with 205/50's id asume that the Mugen XJ's are the same demension as the "Optional" wheels. because the Mugen XJ's and the "Optional" wheels are meant for the 09-10 Fit. BUT, i now know that the "Optional" wheels are 16x6.5 +53, so when people ask me if the "Optional" wheels are different than stock GE wheels i can give them the correct answer, YES.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:10 AM
sorry to hear about your stolen wheels. i've never actually seen these mugen's on any fits. looks good! post some pics again when you drop it... i'll be waiting

Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
ooooooo i like those i just wish they weren't as deep, but still good looking, especially that white
I agree, these would be the wheels I would ultimately get, but I'd have to buy 4 sets of locks, an alarm, a 12 gauge shotty, and a camera.

To the OP: Glad things worked out for you in the end, the car looks really good! It's sad to see a Fit on cement blocks, with wheels stolen. About 3 months ago, I saw 2 Fits in my neighborhood with their wheels jacked, 1 GE, 1 GD.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
And the whole taking money from legit manufactures? That is capitalism. If company A wants to sell their product for $1400, and company B wants to make a replica and sell it for $900 so be it.
I get a the feeling that if Mugen was your company and you were paying innovative engineers to come up with good designs you would feel differently. The reason "other" companies can offer them so cheap is because they had to do none of the research!! They just bought a set of XJ's and then copied them...no R&D needed.

You can can try and justify it by calling it capitalism but it's plain theft of another persons idea. As long as it keeps going, it gets worse for you and me. Legit businesses will eventually get priced out of business and then what?
I have nothing against Rota (Replicas Of True Authenticity) but all they do is copy wheels and then undercut the originators...sorry but no thanks!!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by bmxman
I get a the feeling that if Mugen was your company and you were paying innovative engineers to come up with good designs you would feel differently. The reason "other" companies can offer them so cheap is because they had to do none of the research!! They just bought a set of XJ's and then copied them...no R&D needed.

You can can try and justify it by calling it capitalism but it's plain theft of another persons idea. As long as it keeps going, it gets worse for you and me. Legit businesses will eventually get priced out of business and then what?
I have nothing against Rota (Replicas Of True Authenticity) but all they do is copy wheels and then undercut the originators...sorry but no thanks!!
THIS! x1,000,000

You just earned positive rep

Old 07-30-2010, 01:38 PM
So you live someplace where someone could easily take your wheels. AND THEN YOU TAUNT THEM WITH THESE?

good luck!

Old 07-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by bmxman

I wouldn't call it theft. When Mugen makes a product they know the group of people they are trying to sell to. They aren't going to design a wheel that costs $1300 and expect people who are willing to pay only $900 to buy it. They have a market for people who are willing to pay for it. So in all reality, they aren't losing any money. Now Rota on the other hand while I do agree they "steal" the design, they really aren't stealing business from Mugen. They have their own group of people who they make products for, which are the people who cannot afford the Mugens. It is like Acura. They are the high end version and pricier version of Honda. But they are not priced out by Honda because they have a market for people who can afford their vehicles. Yes while I will admit that they steal the design, I do not agree that they steal the business. And the price isn't coming from R&D, it is coming from the name brand, the materials, and the market demand. Mugen knows that not everyone can afford the wheels, they know Rota will and has copied thier wheel. They honestly could care less because they are not losing customers. If you want and can afford Mugens, you buy Mugens. Simple as that.

But to sum this rant up, I agree that stealing the design is undermining the creators, but they aren't stealing business from Mugen, just from other replica companies and cheaper wheels.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Did the dealership make you pay for the TPMS sensors separately? I just bought a set of the accessory rims from my dealership. To my surprise, the TPMS sensors were included in the box. A different dealership wanted to charge for them. Those that charge must also be removing a packing sheet that shows the included sensors.

I don't know about the Mugen rims. If they charged you, dig around to find out if they removed them from the boxes. You'll probably find out online.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
So sorry to hear about your rims/wheels getting jacked. That is really bad and is happening more. However the upside is that you got the great Mugen rims in their place. Those look awesome on your car, of course I love anything with Mugen on it and those are rocking.

Cat :x

Old 07-31-2010, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by BraytonAK
Did the dealership make you pay for the TPMS sensors separately? I just bought a set of the accessory rims from my dealership. To my surprise, the TPMS sensors were included in the box. A different dealership wanted to charge for them. Those that charge must also be removing a packing sheet that shows the included sensors.

I don't know about the Mugen rims. If they charged you, dig around to find out if they removed them from the boxes. You'll probably find out online.
if you would have asked i would have sold you mine. im planning on different wheels too. lol

Quick Reply: Mugen Rims after Stock Stolen