2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CRZ 0-60 10.5 sec / Fit ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
And when I looked at the front lower arms, they look like the Fit's arms. Granted just looking at 2 objects that are similar doesn't make them the same, but if you look at it, the shape looks spot on. I guess I could just go to Honda and order the lower arms, but usually they will not let you order parts for a car you don't own. They want to see your title everytime you order something. I still have in waiting the J's lower arms with their roll-center adjusters already installed in some stock arms. Haven't installed because I'm only lowered 25mm, it was for when I ended up going with more for sussy, I would already be ready.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
Which stock c class cars are you referring to? Reference? (You might have noticed that I reference every factual statement I make...and that I clarify those that aren't as my opinion).

No I didn't notice that. what references?
As far as stiffening Opels, Ford Festas, Hondas, Nissans, etc tried to improve handling by welding extra braces in the chassis, including using the roll cage. and not much help compared to shocks, springs, engine preps. You want references you must be kidding. No SS racer would admit to such. Its racing.

All we know at this point is that the engines are identical specs wise. I predict a letter change in the engine code...i.e. L15b or whatever. It is pretty well established that the CR-Z is based on the Fit chassis (no reference) and this suggests there will be quite a bit of interchangeability.
And therein lies the point, its all we know. And not being in Honda Engineering we won't know til we get hands on experienceBut those of us in automotivve engineering know a model derived from another almost always has significant differences. Just the difference in the exterior of the CRZ indicates certain changes had to be made to accomodate the chassis differences. One change alone may be to ditch the solid axles. We'll see.
there will be lots of nuts and bolts that interchange but thats not the point. And I wouldn't be surprised if the European and Asian Fits have lot more common parets, particularly in rear disc brakes. I sunstituted rear discs on one car with European discs and the machine and fabrication work made it too costly. AJ does have a good rear disc brake conversion and if you want rear discs thats the route. Mine still function extremely well.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Were you speaking of the solid rear beam when you say solid axles? If so, it exists on the CR-Z as well. I know the rigid subframe mounts that Spoon are selling, of course this is up front, but the GE8 and ZF1 utilize the same part number.

BND, the engine code for the CR-Z is LEA.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
No I didn't notice that. what references?
As far as stiffening Opels, Ford Festas, Hondas, Nissans, etc tried to improve handling by welding extra braces in the chassis, including using the roll cage. and not much help compared to shocks, springs, engine preps. You want references you must be kidding. No SS racer would admit to such. Its racing.
Post #44 and #17 in this thread alone.

It would appear that you're making unsubstantiated claims about a lack of benefit from chasis stiffening. All I'm asking is where you read that stiffening the chassis of C-class cars is not helpful? As well as some evidence supporting your comment.

BTW, what is SS racing? And are these guys driving 100 hp chassis?
When you are dealing with 100 hp chassis stiifness doesn't help much...

Last edited by blackndecker; 08-03-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Edited for politeness
Old 08-03-2010, 04:01 PM
I want to apologize to mahout...sorry for being so "bash-tastic" in this thread

I've been overly aggressive in my responses...I guess I just feel we should be as accurate as possible when we're trying to hash out the technical details of the CR-Z and Fit. Just to avoid any misinformation. Sorry for being an a$$ at the same time.

@555SexAppeal,
Thanks for the clarification on the engine code.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GrocerySnake
Im pretty sure its like 8.5-9.5 Supposedly the 5spd is a bit faster than the auto.

Yea Honda has botched this one. It looks awesome but other than that....
Yea, our cars are lighter than the Cr-z, have more horsepower, and cost less. FIT FTMFW

Motor Trend says the 0-60 mph time is 8.3 seconds but C&D reports 8.9 to 9.2 seconds, same as Fit. but my data sheet says MT took 9 seconds; AT 10.
BIGGEST NEWS WAS hONDA IS FRANTICALLY BRINGING NEXT YEARS crz TO MARKET - WITH 140 HP FROM THE 1.8 ENGINE because of lackluster response.. NOW THAT MAKES SENSE.

Last edited by mahout; 08-03-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
Post #44 and #17 in this thread alone.

It would appear that you're making unsubstantiated claims about a lack of benefit from chasis stiffening. All I'm asking is where you read that stiffening the chassis of C-class cars is not helpful? As well as some evidence supporting your comment.

BTW, what is SS racing? And are these guys driving 100 hp chassis?

Its Showroom Stock racing in SCCA started with 3 classes A, B, and C. Been around since the seventies. And yes there were many efforts to produce winners. As far as references, surely you should recognize that no one would admit to doing it because it was illegal by class rules. But it was done. If you didn't know about SS racing your references aren't worthwhile.

BTW, Honda, as a result of the very lukewarm reception to the 2 door Fit , is frantically working to bring the 1.8 liter engined CRZ with 140 hp to market. Thatwill save the market for the CRZ. Ought toarrive about the time that CRZ sales begin to fall. Say end of the year.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Were you speaking of the solid rear beam when you say solid axles? If so, it exists on the CR-Z as well. I know the rigid subframe mounts that Spoon are selling, of course this is up front, but the GE8 and ZF1 utilize the same part number.

BND, the engine code for the CR-Z is LEA.

Yes but subtle differences in angles, lengths, etc can make very definite differences in handling characteristics. It
will be interesting to compare CRZ with Fit, especially the Asian models.

Whats really interesting is the rumor that Honda is frantically bringing a 1.8 liter 140 hp CRZ to market. Honda doesn't go in much for chroming so they made it go. Thats the Honda I knew well.

Last edited by mahout; 08-03-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting, I haven't heard anything on this side of the world about a 1.8 liter CR-Z. I'm sure they won't let that information out because then why would somebody buy the current model. And like I said, in the first 2 weeks of it on sale, they already had more orders for the thing then they planned on selling for the entire fiscal year (April 1 - Mar 31 in Japan).

In these rumors, is the 1.8 still a hybrid powerplant or just dropping the R18 into it? One thing for sure, everytime I see one on the road, which is everyday they are a head turner even in bumper to bumper traffic. It would be great if they did offer a more potent model.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 08-03-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by broody
The pleasure starts at 5k rpm but then it stops brutally just after at 7k... They should have put de rev limiter at 300-600rpm higher (and slightly longer gears on the m/t).
Agreed. In the FIT I find the redline just a tad bit low. also with a higher redline, they could probably drop the 2-3 shift needed to reach 60. would seriously drop the 0-60 time.
Interesting, I haven't heard anything on this side of the world about a 1.8 liter CR-Z. I'm sure they won't let that information out because then why would somebody buy the current model. And like I said, in the first 2 weeks of it on sale, they already had more orders for the thing then they planned on selling for the entire fiscal year (April 1 - Mar 31 in Japan).

In these rumors, is the 1.8 still a hybrid powerplant or just dropping the R18 into it? One thing for sure, everytime I see one on the road, which is everyday they are a head turner even in bumper to bumper traffic. It would be great if they did offer a more potent model.
I haven't heard squat about the CR-Z running an R18 over here either but it would be nice. usually VTEC.net has those tidbits of info posted and I haven't seen it there or anywhere else. (just this thread)

Would make for a nice sporty car... and with the Civic's economy numbers being up there, it would be a good commuter car as well.

~SB

Old 08-03-2010, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Agreed. In the FIT I find the redline just a tad bit low. also with a higher redline, they could probably drop the 2-3 shift needed to reach 60. would seriously drop the 0-60 time.

~SB
Well you could always look at getting the gears out of the JDM RS. I can hit 100km/h at redline in 2nd, which is 62mph. Now the downside to the JDM gearing is the overall top speed is down on the North American model, well theoretical top speed since the Fit doesn't have enough power nor is it aerodynamically efficient to reach that top speed without possibly going down a pretty steep decline.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:16 PM
BTW, Honda, as a result of the very lukewarm reception to the 2 door Fit , is frantically working to bring the 1.8 liter engined CRZ with 140 hp to market. Thatwill save the market for the CRZ. Ought toarrive about the time that CRZ sales begin to fall. Say end of the year.
OK dude...seriously...where is your source for this info? Are we all supposed to believe you're the TMZ of import tuning getting all this inside info? Source or ban! J/k but not really...

Old 08-03-2010, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Well you could always look at getting the gears out of the JDM RS. I can hit 100km/h at redline in 2nd, which is 62mph. Now the downside to the JDM gearing is the overall top speed is down on the North American model, well theoretical top speed since the Fit doesn't have enough power nor is it aerodynamically efficient to reach that top speed without possibly going down a pretty steep decline.
Steep decline... as in... a Cliff?

What's your 5th gear rpm at 100kph? The USDM sport is already loud on the highway... I can't imagine what the JDM gearing does to the rpms.

I think I'd personally rather have the higher redline. Coming from the GS-R (JDM VTi?) with an 8100rpm redline, I really miss revving the engine. Redline just comes too soon (and definitely not due to mass amounts of acceleration). Honda needs to bring back the low litre high revving engines like the B16 & B18. The K20 is the closest thing and while a sweet engine, is starting to get on the heavy side. Shrink the engine, raise the rpm, and let me wring it out!

~SB

Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
I believe if I remember correctly around 3300rpms. Never look at my RPMs though, so I'll do that when I have time to verify.

Believe me I miss revs also, my 5R Teggy was rev-limited at 8750 and the AP2 Snisen that followed was rev-limited to 8500 thanks to KPro on both.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member

The rumor is the 1.8 is also a hybrid. Never mind how i got the rumor. let's just say some things have to be approved first with DOT, EPA, and/or SAE.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
I believe if I remember correctly around 3300rpms. Never look at my RPMs though, so I'll do that when I have time to verify.

Believe me I miss revs also, my 5R Teggy was rev-limited at 8750 and the AP2 Snisen that followed was rev-limited to 8500 thanks to KPro on both.
For the longest time I wanted a 2R with the JDM Nose. Even though after the MMC, they smoothed out the nose of the DC2, the 4 eyes never really looked that great but I didn't buy the car for it's nose. the B18C1 was a sweet sweet motor. would have rather had the C5 in the DC2R though. There's nothing like someone in the passenger seat who has only owned 5800rpm American cars asking... uhhhh are you going to shift... ever????

Unfortunately, besides stereo, never got to Mod the Integra. Got Married, have a little one... not so little any more... and graduated to true adulthood with 2 4dr cars. glad though I got the fit. Gas cost an arm & a leg in the Integra and Altima. Not any more.

oh... and to keep with the CR-Z topic. Unfortunately, with only 2 seats, it'll not happen for a number of years for us. but that doesn't mean I won't drive one at some point

Also, i wonder if the LEA stands for L(series)E(lectric)A(ssist)

~SB

Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 PM
The rumor is the 1.8 is also a hybrid. Never mind how i got the rumor.
Awrighty then...I take back everything I said. I was fully validated bashing you...you're full of $.h.I.t. You make ridiculous comments, disregard burden of proof, and haven't responded to any counterpoints.

I'll continue to ride you like a "Shetland pony" throughout this forum until you put up or shut up...

Old 08-04-2010, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
I don't see the point of top speed, since we never get there. Slightly longer gears + higher red line would not really change de daily drive feeling, while getting better 0-60 (and same or better overall acceleration), ans better highway mpg. With higher redline (if the power is still there) you can make longer gears without compromising maximum performance since it won't fall to low in the revs on the next gear.

So if the 2nd reach 100kmh and the 5th is at more than 3krpm at 100kph, the gears must be really close no? Longer first gears and closer tallest gears, like sport cars/bike . But no point for DD/highway, unless they put an "overdrive" 6th gear.

I want a beat now (there is one for sale close to my home, imported).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC0y4...eature=related

They could maybe try to put the power lower, like on the toyota echo. Rev limiter is at only 6500, but it goes strong from 3000 to 6500, even with longer gears than the fit. I can stay in 2nd gear from 20 to 65mph and have always juice. In the fit at 20mph it is slow in 2nd, and at not even 55mph you hit the limiter.

Last edited by broody; 08-04-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah the overall gearing is always closer in the JDM models because most driving is done in the urban jungle and even though the highway (all toll road) is nice, it is no where as expansive as in the US and I guess maybe for you Canuckers. Never had the pleasure of getting north of the border. One day though, I plan to hit up Montreal for the party weekend of F1.

Yeah in reality I wouldn't see the need to go faster than what the JDM gearing will allow, I would definitely sacrifice the 8~10mph theoretical top speed for the better acceleration in 1-3. The gear ratios are not that far off, but different with 1st, 4th, 5th and the final drive.

Here is a spreadsheet I just made right quick and used a gear calculator program online to get the numbers. I input tires of 205/50/16 since that is what I am using. They are relatively the same height as the stock 185/55/16, but have around 22mm more width (205=213mm wide in a 50 series and 185=191 +/- 1mm).

Name:  FitGE8GearingJDM-USDM.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  298.4 KB

This is getting off topic for sure. I can throw up a chart showing the CR-Z gearing to compare as well. Unsure what the North American market is going to see on gear ratios if changed from the JDM model as well.

OK here is the CR-Z gearing. Peak power is made at 6000 rpms versus the Fit's 6600 rpms, so I used a 6400 redline, but really not sure what it's actual redline is. Went up 400rpm to match the Fit's.
Name:  CR-ZZF1GearingJDM.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  154.8 KB Name:  FitGE8GearingJDM_JDM-CR-ZFD.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  298.7 KB

Hmmmm looking at these charts, I want the CR-Z's first gear and final drive in my tranny. Though it might hurt it's performance, because of the lack of low-end torque compared to the electric motor's additional low-end punch.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 08-04-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member
Since the JDM GE8 can hit 62 before the fuel cutoff, in 2nd, that should make the JDM GE8 Faster in the 0-60 than the USDM model. What are the official numbers that car magazines have recorded (or what does Honda say) for the 0-100kph on the Fit? I wonder if it would be the same though since 1st gear is more aggressive on the USDM fit. Someone needs to bump the redline to 7600rpm.

I'll take 1st, 2nd & 3rd from the JDM, 4th from the USDM, and 5th from the USDM 5AT.

ooooh that 1st from the Fit looks good too... maybe that. What I want is an a-la-carte gearbox.

Is the Redline on the LEA the same as the L15 on the Fit?

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 08-04-2010 at 07:26 AM.

Quick Reply: CRZ 0-60 10.5 sec / Fit ?