2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GE fit is yet another bastard child in Honda's lineup...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
I don't think any of those cars will ever see a drag strip.....
How is this relevant to a discussion about "fast??" LOL.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Banned
you wrote they spend money on a 12 second car = drag strip

Unless you're condoning street racing, if so BAN

Old 07-27-2010, 01:08 PM
The fact that a car does or does not see the drag strip is irrelevant to a discussion about "fast." That doesn't change how fast or slow the car is...or potentially is.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Banned
since you claim they are fast, why does felix claim he can't even 'keep up with traffic' with a t1r turbo?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM
since you claim they are fast, why does felix claim he can't even 'keep up with traffic' with a t1r turbo?

You continually fail to respond to any of my prior points...instead you choose to quarrel over the definition of the word "fast."

I don't know anything about "felix" or his car. I believe that is the guy with the sig showing lamborghini doors, massive sub-woofers, and neon lights? If so...that might answer your question of why his car is not "fast."

Edit:
I also haven't seen his dyno graphs so I don't know anything about his power band, lag, torque, etc.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned
wait what prior points?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Say no to drugs, man...it's killing your brain cells. Check the prior page...

Edit:
Originally Posted by BlackNDecker
"The big change is the addition of a new entry-level model, dubbed simply the Lotus Elise. The base Elise model comes with a 1.6-liter engine developing 134 horsepower and 118 lb-ft of torque. Although about on par with many entry-level compact models, the Elise's lightweight design ensures overall performance is not compromised, with the two-door still able to scoot from zero-to-60 in just 6 seconds. Top speed is capped at 124mph." Source: 2010 Lotus Elise - Specifications, Pictures, Prices

I think most would agree this is a very fast car on the race-track or auto-cross track...even with only 134 hp and 118 lb-ft of torque (not much more than our fits). Curb weight 1,984 lbs.

Saying something isn't fast b/c it doesn't have xxx hp, or rear wheel drive, or whatever is myopic and pointless. "Saying 160 whp isn't fast" also doesn't mean anything to me...

I could show you a 220 whp civic that isn't fast...if there is a huge drop in hp b/w 3500 and 4500 rpm, or the torque curve is anemic, or there is considerable lag, or there is diminished area under the curve, etc. etc. etc..

torque > horsepower (my opinion)

area under the curve > peak horsepower (known fact)

track fast =/= straight line fast =/= auto-cross fast (self explanatory)

Last edited by blackndecker; 07-27-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by blackndecker
I will continue to modify my Fit because:
1) I love hondas
2) I love my Fit
3) I love personalizing my cars
4) I love the challenge
5) I love tinkering with $hit
List goes on and on...and on and on...

Making a fast V8 is easy...get a chip. Done.

Modifying a 4 cylinder is a challenge, and even a fast "four banger" still gets great gas mileage.
I'll address this point by point

1- OK.....
2- OK.....
3- OK.....
4- Then stop complaining about the lack of aftermarket support
5- Ok......

A chip, eh? Alright please go chip a 99 Olds Aurora and tell me how much you gained

Great gas mileage? Then why does an Evolution only get about 18 mpg?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 PM
sigh....

<10 char sux>

Old 07-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned
sigh....

<10 char sux>
why sigh? because I was right on every point?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:56 PM
why sigh? because I was right on every point?

Nice...
Lets get back to 'ideas' on makin the Fit faster. We can all agree that the Fit is, and will be for while, difficult to make "fast". Like blackndecker said, fast is also subjective. I think fast is being able to pass that stupid minivan or f-150 in front me with relative ease.
Guess what? I can do that now..... With only an intake(not that it makes much of a difference). Sure, I would LOVE to have the fastest car in town, but its not gonna happen. Unless you go to the strip or track regularly or professionally, There is little to no point in making a car "faster".
Heck, my friend has an 06 si with intake and exhaust, he would KILL me in a race. How often to do we race? Never. How often does he even GET a chance to race others on the street? Never. He has higher payments and insurance because he has 80 more horsepower that he never uses. Look, just be happy that companies are making ANYTHING for the Fit. I know I am.

I bought the Fit because it rapes on MPG, its really a lot of fun to drive, and in its one of the clest subcompacts on the market. As an added bonus, companies are taking a pretty huge interest in the Fit right now, and more will EVENTUALLY come.

Last edited by GrocerySnake; 07-27-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 PM
LOL, you really think he was right on every point? He took one post and argued extreme examples.

The sigh was exaspertion in arguing with a kid.

Regarding your comments, I think it's sad to spend the money modifying a car and never take it to the track. If you're all about the "show" then that's fine I guess...

Also, I think the often quoted "I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" makes perfect sense for a daily driver. I remember Simon Cowell on Top Gear saying he bought the Lambo Murcielago and hated it b/c he never "really gets to drive it" to its potential.

Last edited by blackndecker; 07-27-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:49 PM
LOL, you really think he was right on every point? He took one post and argued extreme examples.

The sigh was exaspertion in arguing with a kid.

Regarding your comments, I think it's sad to spend the money modifying a car and never take it to the track. If you're all about the "show" then that's fine I guess...

Also, I think the often quoted "I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" makes perfect sense for a daily driver. I remember Simon Cowell on Top Gear saying he bought the Lambo Murcielago and hated it b/c he never "really gets to drive it" to its potential.
Do i think hes right??? Hell no. His comments are hardly worth listening to. Sorry you got that impression.
And i LOVE Top Gear lol.
But really, i would love to build a track car out of the fit and go racing/autocrossing on the weekends. But i dont have time and so i cant bring myself to spend money on turbos amd whatnot. But in no way am i putting you down decker. Power to you for tryin out all this stuff

Old 07-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Honestly, if I had the cash I'd find a clean DC2 shell and drop a K24 in and call it a day.

I have a DC5 TypeS 6sp tranny sitting in my garage (only 20,000 miles!!!). I was planning to swap my 4 door 2001 civic but have gotten side tracked on the Fit.

The Fit is undeniably fun, every 10-15 lbs I shave it just keeps getting better...

Old 07-27-2010, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
It's perfectly fine to make the Fit a showy car in my opinion. That is because it's taking what the Fit is good at and making those things better. If someone takes what is truly a performance car, and turns it into a "rhinestone cowboy" as you put it; that usually degrades the performance quite a bit and starts to defeat the purpose of the fast car to begin with.

I'm glad you agree. It's fun within the limits encountered when driving every day. People can't possible account for a percentage of their total time driving with performance based scenarios - like saying "99% of the time, I drive within the limits of the car." It's more like 99.99999% But the rush of acceleration and it's usefulness can't be denied, I'll give you that. It's just not super-justifiable in every day life for some of the compromises that go along with high power.

I dunno what all goes into my subjective view on the matter, but maybe I think that speed just gets me into trouble. Shit, it's possible I don't even like fast cars as much as I think I do. Hard to get away from that thought since it's so ingrained into us about what makes a car worthy, but if I really look back, I've always gravitated to looks, handling and frugality.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by hayden
I dunno what all goes into my subjective view on the matter, but maybe I think that speed just gets me into trouble. Shit, it's possible I don't even like fast cars as much as I think I do. Hard to get away from that thought since it's so ingrained into us about what makes a car worthy, but if I really look back, I've always gravitated to looks, handling and frugality.
^Great points.

I guess I really value "quick" over "fast." Fast = trouble with the law, quick = lose your stomach handling.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
^Great points.

I guess I really value "quick" over "fast." Fast = trouble with the law, quick = lose your stomach handling.
Yeah, for sure. It's when frugality enters the equation too - then there is another subjective value at play.

Also, I wanted to add to the thread that I don't think this type of discussion or debate is useless because we still have some respect to work out among the community. That's what will keep people showing up, spending money based on pictures/review/activity, and creating a larger aftermarket to eventually serve everyone better.

PLUR.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Great points again....but, eh...what is PLUR?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Banned
^Great points.

much better

I agree quick > fast

although my definition of quick is different than yours

quick = scoots around

lose your stomach handling = perfection

Great points again....but, eh...what is PLUR?
please loosen ur rectum?

hahah

Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Talking about Felix's car is not really justifiable in this scenario, he has added who knows how much excess weight to his Fit. For me personally, I have a strong dislike with that car because it screams 'SHOW BITCH' and is very gaudy looking. He needs a K just to get it to perform back to stock performance with the weight that has been added to it and if not much has been added, it sure looks like it weighs a ton and a half now.

Quick Reply: GE fit is yet another bastard child in Honda's lineup...