2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

0-60 varies between auto & sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:21 PM
0-60 varies between auto & sport mode

Did a little experiment on some flat & straight back country roads this weekend. Corn lined farmers road so absolutely not a soul in sight. I was just curious to see what my approx 0-60 times were for an auto vs sport mode. I figured they would be the same but wanted to test since it always seemed so much faster in sport mode. Mind you it was really hot out that day too (92 degrees) so my 0-60 times might have been slightly better if it was cooler out... but I was just comparing auto vs sport so it didn't matter.
I never used the paddles because it seemed like sport mode (non paddles engaged) shifted at the most optimum time.
I used a stop watch to get the closest accurate time possible. All air/ac was off completely in all runs.
So I did two runs in straight auto mode. Stopped completely and counted down 3-2-1 and hit the gas and started the stop watch simultaneously
0-60 first run 10.58 sec.
0-60 second run 10.59 sec.

I then stopped completely put it in Sport mode (non engaged paddles) and followed the same procedure with two runs.
0-60 first run 9.52 sec.
0-60 second run 9.54 sec.

I know this is not fast by any means I have done the same test in my CL-S (avg 0-60 in 6.8 sec) and my tsx (avg 0-60 in 8.4 sec) but I've never seen a big difference auto vs sport mode before. Perhaps Sport mode takes advantage of redline somehow more?...does the ecu in sport mode have better air/fuel ratios?
Anybody else notice this?

Last edited by Committobefit08; 07-20-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:10 PM
LOL at your scientific method.

You need one of these son....
G-TECH/Pro Homepage

Old 07-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Nice experiment! I'm guessing in sports mode you hit closer to redline every shift than the auto does, but I have no idea either.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by blackndecker
LOL at your scientific method.

You need one of these son....
G-TECH/Pro Homepage
hey its not perfect...but its close. I was bored and I'm cheap.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 07-20-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you were able to repeat that the sport mode was faster so it was a decent experiement, i think.

but yah, 9 seconds is SUV territory... i think my GD with smaller sidewall grippier tires with clutch dump at 5000rpm can net 8.5sec. (no scientific proof).

Old 07-20-2010, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Was it shifting at different points? I thought if the car was floored, it shifted right before redline regardless?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
you were able to repeat that the sport mode was faster so it was a decent experiement, i think.

but yah, 9 seconds is SUV territory... i think my GD with smaller sidewall grippier tires with clutch dump at 5000rpm can net 8.5sec. (no scientific proof).
Thats what I thought. I just can't figure out why. Not really room for error. Hold the brake...push the gas. No manual shifting like in a stick.

I agree. Manuals will almost always be faster because you can dump the clutch. Auto's always suffer from 0-60. (except sometimes in dual clutch autos)
I knew when buying this car it wasn't going to be fast. I'm not a redlight racer so I don't notice the slowness in every day driving and from 5-60 it has plenty of pep. I live in a city so excessive hp is a waste. I was just curious to why the difference in the two modes.

I've seen the GE manuals hit 0-60 in 8.3-8.7 so I think you are accurate with your GD.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 07-20-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by blazej
Was it shifting at different points? I thought if the car was floored, it shifted right before redline regardless?
I'm not sure I didn't check it looked like it was shifting at redline in auto and sport every time.....I agree I would think it would be the same shift points. ...that's why I was confused on the different times.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 07-20-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Thats what I thought. I just can't figure out why. Not really room for error. Hold the brake...push the gas. No manual shifting like in a stick.

I agree. Manuals will almost always be faster because you can dump the clutch. Auto's always suffer from 0-60. (except sometimes in dual clutch autos)
I knew when buying this car it wasn't going to be fast. I'm not a redlight racer so I don't notice the slowness in every day driving and from 5-60 it has plenty of pep. I live in a city so excessive hp is a waste. I was just curious to why the difference in the two modes.
actually on a MT the only difference is maybe from 0-15mph if you drop the clutch and wot just right. on larger displacement cars these days AT's are actually faster than MT because it can make up for the slight initial loss by consistent fast shifting and almost no loss in momentum between 1-2 shift. but on a car like the Fit where fuel economy and ULEV is more important than speed, manufacturers dont program the car in that manner so us MT guys 'force' the car to act in a way not intended.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
actually on a MT the only difference is maybe from 0-15mph if you drop the clutch and wot just right. on larger displacement cars these days AT's are actually faster than MT because it can make up for the slight initial loss by consistent fast shifting and almost no loss in momentum between 1-2 shift. but on a car like the Fit where fuel economy and ULEV is more important than speed, manufacturers dont program the car in that manner so us MT guys 'force' the car to act in a way not intended.
Thats what I was refering to when I said almost. Yes I agree some auto's now days can shift faster than manuals that's why I referenced the dual clutch. The thing that sucks about autos is the torque converter which = power loss.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Anybody else have any explanation on why sport mode is faster? Could it be ECU programming?
I just find this odd.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Why didn't you engage the paddles in sport mode? That way you could have had control over 1st & 2nd too, right?

Dan

Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Why didn't you engage the paddles in sport mode? That way you could have had control over 1st & 2nd too, right?

Dan
You can engage/disengage the paddles?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by rprpclark
yes, if you shift into sport mode but don't hit the paddles it will shift thru gears 1, 2, 3 by itself but if you want 4th or 5th you'll have to hit the paddles.
I use this when I am in the city all the time.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by rprpclark
Different way of saying "use" and "don't use".

Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199

Dan
Because using just sport mode shifts automatically at the most optimum time.
If I used the paddles I might have hit the rev limiter. Using sport mode without the paddles still shift at redline even without the paddles. Remember I was only doing straight runs. Now if I was turning that's a different story...then engaging the paddles could have been beneficial.

I like using the sport mode (without the paddles engaged) sometimes because it holds the gear or keeps it in the best gear/rpm range for coming out of a turn. Of course the same thing can be done with using the paddles but honestly when I'm going around a bunch of turns the paddles mounted to the steering wheel turning constantly with the wheel can be a little confusing while you drive. I honestly would probably prefer if the paddles were mounted to the steering column in a stationary position like Ferrari and Lambo's do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj58h...eature=related

Last edited by Committobefit08; 07-21-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Because using just sport mode shifts automatically at the most optimum time.
If I used the paddles I might have hit the rev limiter. Using sport mode without the paddles still shift at redline even without the paddles. Remember I was only doing straight runs. Now if I was turning that's a different story...then engaging the paddles could have been beneficial.

I like using the sport mode (without the paddles engaged) sometimes because it holds the gear or keeps it in the best gear/rpm range for coming out of a turn. Of course the same thing can be done with using the paddles but honestly when I'm going around a bunch of turns the paddles mounted to the steering wheel turning constantly with the wheel can be a little confusing while you drive. I honestly would probably prefer if the paddles were mounted to the steering column in a stationary position like Ferrari and Lambo's do.
YouTube - Ferrari 430 review part 1 - Top Gear - BBC

ok... not having the paddles mounted to the steering wheel makes no sense to me. If you are driving... let's say... "spiritedly", one would think you'd want to keep your hands on the steering wheel all of the time. Having the paddles mounted to the column would require you to adjust your hand position before shifting. having them mounted to the wheel means they are always at your fingertips. If you are turning the car so sharp that you have to move your hands to another position on the steering wheel, chances are, you shouldn't be shifting at that point anyway. (Probably should have shifted sooner)

~SB

Old 07-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
ok... not having the paddles mounted to the steering wheel makes no sense to me. If you are driving... let's say... "spiritedly", one would think you'd want to keep your hands on the steering wheel all of the time. Having the paddles mounted to the column would require you to adjust your hand position before shifting. having them mounted to the wheel means they are always at your fingertips. If you are turning the car so sharp that you have to move your hands to another position on the steering wheel, chances are, you shouldn't be shifting at that point anyway. (Probably should have shifted sooner)

~SB
I wasn't inferring you should be shifting when the wheel was turned that much...just stating it can cause confusion. Just drive down a really twisty road (esp. with s turns) and you will see what I mean. Remember this is only my personal opinion. I've found Evo's stationary paddles much easier to work with.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
The thing that sucks about autos is the torque converter which = power loss.
also lack of connection between the throttle and drivetrain when you're going on/off throttle.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
I wasn't inferring you should be shifting when the wheel was turned that much...just stating it can cause confusion. Just drive down a really twisty road (esp. with s turns) and you will see what I mean. Remember this is only my personal opinion. I've found Evo's stationary paddles much easier to work with.
Honestly, I'm curious about this because as I said before, to me it just doesn't make sense. (want to figure out why you would prefer it the other way).

When driving, do you have your hands at 10 & 2? (I didn't used to with the GS-R, the GS, or the Lude but I do on the Fit.) I'll assume that you'd feel more comfortable moving your hands to shift than releasing to reach for the paddles. (more kind of like a MT - just different location.)

Do you think this is a comfort factor because of previous vehicles or something that you just wouldn't ever get used to (paddles on the wheel and not the column).

~SB

Quick Reply: 0-60 varies between auto & sport mode