2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

0-60 varies between auto & sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
As far as I'm concerned, you can't paddle shift while making an actual left or right turn. It's just not practical at all. So if I want to drop into sport mode when I know I'm gonna be making a turn right away, NOT hitting the paddle and letting it auto shift up to 3rd is a nice feature. I usually only paddle when I'm doing straight ahead driving. Curvy roads are fine for paddling. Actual turns, no.

Dan

Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
I don't want to sound doubtful but I don't think you are getting 0-60 times below 10 seconds. Even with an SRI, axleback, colder plugs, brake torquing to 2200 rpms, and sport mode none of my base runs go below 10.9 sec. Even with 120 lbs of weight reduction I fight to get 10.5. I am at 600 feet above sea level and temps are in the 70s.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I don't want to sound doubtful but I don't think you are getting 0-60 times below 10 seconds. Even with an SRI, axleback, colder plugs, brake torquing to 2200 rpms, and sport mode none of my base runs go below 10.9 sec. Even with 120 lbs of weight reduction I fight to get 10.5. I am at 600 feet above sea level and temps are in the 70s.
Really? hmmm. Well like I said I only did two runs that day but they were both close in sport mode. I live in the city so its hard to find a open/clear road. I just happen to be bored and in the country that day. Now this is going to bug me. I will need to do a lot more runs.

To Be Continued.....

Old 07-22-2010, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Did a little experiment on some flat & straight back country roads this weekend. Corn lined farmers road so absolutely not a soul in sight. I was just curious to see what my approx 0-60 times were for an auto vs sport mode. I figured they would be the same but wanted to test since it always seemed so much faster in sport mode. Mind you it was really hot out that day too (92 degrees) so my 0-60 times might have been slightly better if it was cooler out... but I was just comparing auto vs sport so it didn't matter.
I never used the paddles because it seemed like sport mode (non paddles engaged) shifted at the most optimum time.
I used a stop watch to get the closest accurate time possible. All air/ac was off completely in all runs.
So I did two runs in straight auto mode. Stopped completely and counted down 3-2-1 and hit the gas and started the stop watch simultaneously
0-60 first run 10.58 sec.
0-60 second run 10.59 sec.

I then stopped completely put it in Sport mode (non engaged paddles) and followed the same procedure with two runs.
0-60 first run 9.52 sec.
0-60 second run 9.54 sec.

I know this is not fast by any means I have done the same test in my CL-S (avg 0-60 in 6.8 sec) and my tsx (avg 0-60 in 8.4 sec) but I've never seen a big difference auto vs sport mode before. Perhaps Sport mode takes advantage of redline somehow more?...does the ecu in sport mode have better air/fuel ratios?
Anybody else notice this?

14.21 seconds woohoo :P

1.2 L jazz manual
wont go any faster

Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Well I went out to some back roads at lunch because this was bothering me. Gotta love flat Ohio..you drive 10 minutes and you can easily find a empty flat backroad. Anyways...did three more runs in sport mode. 0-60 in 10.67, 10.58, and 10.72.
Guess this blows my original numbers out of the water. I am going to blame it on user error. Guess that's why you buy at G-tech like Blackndecker said.

In any case solved the mystery..I was having a blonde moment.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 07-22-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
I'm confused. My 2010 will not shift in sport mode without the paddles.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by rprpclark
I'm confused. My 2010 will not shift in sport mode without the paddles.
You've got three options with the paddles/sport mode.

First you can paddle with it in "D" on the shifter. It will temporarily hold gears for you or shift up (which ever you choose)..but will return to auto after a while.

Second you can shift the shifter to "S" mode and not use the paddles and it will hold gears automatically for you until redline then it will upshift for you. It keeps the car in the most optimum for power gear based on your speed.

Third you can shift it to "S" mode on the shifter and use the paddles to go up in down in gears. This gives you complete control but also gives you the chance of bouncing off the rev limiter.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 AM
Starting in 2nd + Sport?

Have any of those test runs been run beginning in 2nd gear? I've tried this in Sport/Sequential and manually started in 2nd (shift up when stopped). There seems to be a surplus of torque off of idle in 1st on my car, so I thought it best be put to use in a bigger gear. I have gotten (it seems) several sub-10 second 0-60 times by my measurements, though I cannot guarantee the flatness of the roads anywhere here (glacier country).

Last edited by FitFrieda; 07-10-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
As far as I'm concerned, you can't paddle shift while making an actual left or right turn. It's just not practical at all. So if I want to drop into sport mode when I know I'm gonna be making a turn right away, NOT hitting the paddle and letting it auto shift up to 3rd is a nice feature. I usually only paddle when I'm doing straight ahead driving. Curvy roads are fine for paddling. Actual turns, no.

Dan
Am I the only one who can shift up with right or left hand while turning? Feel for the nubs on the shift up lever.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Did a little experiment on some flat & straight back country roads this weekend. Corn lined farmers road so absolutely not a soul in sight. I was just curious to see what my approx 0-60 times were for an auto vs sport mode. I figured they would be the same but wanted to test since it always seemed so much faster in sport mode. Mind you it was really hot out that day too (92 degrees) so my 0-60 times might have been slightly better if it was cooler out... but I was just comparing auto vs sport so it didn't matter.
I never used the paddles because it seemed like sport mode (non paddles engaged) shifted at the most optimum time.
I used a stop watch to get the closest accurate time possible. All air/ac was off completely in all runs.
So I did two runs in straight auto mode. Stopped completely and counted down 3-2-1 and hit the gas and started the stop watch simultaneously
0-60 first run 10.58 sec.
0-60 second run 10.59 sec.

I then stopped completely put it in Sport mode (non engaged paddles) and followed the same procedure with two runs.
0-60 first run 9.52 sec.
0-60 second run 9.54 sec.

I know this is not fast by any means I have done the same test in my CL-S (avg 0-60 in 6.8 sec) and my tsx (avg 0-60 in 8.4 sec) but I've never seen a big difference auto vs sport mode before. Perhaps Sport mode takes advantage of redline somehow more?...does the ecu in sport mode have better air/fuel ratios?
Anybody else notice this?

One of the worse choices ever made to define acceleration is 0 to 60 mph. Way back there was some use because of the low tractive efforts by vbehicles but that went away.
If you want toi define acceleration pick some range well away from zero.
60 to 100 is our stock measurement here for showroom stock selections
There's just too many variables around zero mph takeoffs to trust.
Here we've almost always gotten a maual faster from 60 to 100 because the gear ratios are better. we've never tried my sport with and without paddle shifting but I suspect paddle shifting will be faster because early shifting won't hang around in later more unproductive rpm territory.
Its an interesting question; hoipe others will check theirs.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:06 PM
There is nothing wrong with the way you did it. No need to use $100,000 of out-rigger wheels and computer gear. You were comparing regular vs sport. You got representative results. FYI: My Camaro--2010--has auto and a sport mode also. Big difference in performance when in sport mode. Don't have anywhere to test time it here in Phoenix. The paddles, actually buttons on the Camaro, have the same problem shifting while turning. Don't do it. Much easier in both the Fit and Camaro to just leave it in sport mode, and not touch the paddles. Get the same result...more fun. In the Camaro, a LOT more fun in sport. (Also keeps the gas company in profits when in sport)

Old 07-12-2012, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Yes in auto-mode the power does vary.

You've probably already noticed in Auto, that even when you're in a particular gear at a particular RPM, you can get a different power response depending on what the computer feels is best for you (or most eco)

When you're in sport it takes away the variability and stays in the same consistent setting for power to gear/rpm .