2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ex-Jarhead GE owner in NZ checking in

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Ex-Jarhead GE owner in NZ checking in

Hey Fellow Fit Freaks
I couldn't find an Intro section so if there is one, please show me where My name's Blue and I grew up in SoCal. Joined the Marines and spent 4 years stomping dirt then after I got out I headed over to Europe. Was supposed to be a vaca but ended up spending 2 years in Holland, got married, you know the drill. Well, living in Holland and not speaking Dutch doesn't leave you with many job opportunities so we packed up and ended up in New Zealand. I LOVE this place. JDM all over the place. Lots of rice but many clean JDM imports that you just can't get in the States.

Me? I drive a Accord Euro Wagon. It's a 1st Gen Acura TSX with a Odyssey style arse. If you want to see pics, let me know. It's in the background of the first pic below.

A few years ago I saw a Yellow GD Jazz Sport and fell in love. When it came time for my wife to get a safe economical car for a long commute there wasn't any second thoughts, we started looking for a Jazz. We were about to buy a Milano Red 2008 GD Sport when we took a deep breath and contemplated the new Jazz... and it was hands down a better car. Frankly, the base model had everything we wanted in the GD Sport and then some, and the same HP from a smaller engine and no silly CVT dramas. Sold.

So we ordered a Jazz and it was delivered about a week later. First thing was upgrading the horn following one of the FF DIYs and the College Hill video... which was totally different on my JDM Jazz. Figured it out though. Next was the Centre Console/Armrest. Again following a FF DIY and the College Hills video it was quick and easy. Next was tint which I wasn't crazy enough to try, and now I scored some 16" Advan Kreuzer / Kreutzer Series X gunmetal mags to replace the 17" Momo Sports I initially slapped on. The ride's just too hard with the bad NZ roads, need more cushion.

Somewhere along the mods I replaced a lot of the stock bulbs with 1.5W SMD LEDS (both wedge and dome types) that I sourced from China. I came on this morning to try and figure out how to get the cargo light out to replace it and ended up spending the whole day planning future mods... starting with headlights and tail lights, lol.

Name:  DSC09951WEB.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  88.8 KB
Name:  DSC09953WEB.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  84.0 KB
Name:  DSC09954WEB.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  71.5 KB
So here's the car at the moment. JDM differences are the turn signal mirror indicators, climate AC and 6 airbags on the base model. Can't really think of anything else that makes this different to any other... yet. Give me time

Old 07-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Hey man,

I'm glad you got a Fit/Jazz! I love mine completely! I'm jealous that you live in NZ, I dream of visiting one day!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks Beats, I've really enjoyed it here and love the Jazz it's a great car Even though my family is from NZ and it's got little to no deadly creatures we're already planning a move to Oz and thinking about bringing both Hondas with us as there isn't much JDM in Oz due to massive import duties and taxes and a very very short list of allowed cars for resale.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Hey welcome thanks for the post. I love my '09 BSP Fit too.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in NZ (the south island). It was in Feb of 2008. We flew in to Christchurch, drove down to Queenstown (wow what an amazing drive that was, just simply beautiful) and we spent the majority of our time in Queenstown. We kayaked through a large part of Milford Sound and wow that was a crazy workout. Got some great pics of everything. We spent a few more days doing random things around Queenstown, but all in all it was a great 10-day trip. We want to go back really bad, maybe some day.

I've heard the north island (including Wellington) is great. We'd like to go back some day and do a whole month's stay on both islands. Have you been to the south island?

Your Jazz is definitely a great car to have in NZ. I noticed a lot of interesting cars while we were there that definitely cause double-takes.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:30 PM
I'd love to have BSP or BBP. If and when this turns into a full build I might do a respray to something darker as this Horizon Blue (I think it's the Tidewater Blue for USDM) isn't my favorite.

Great place for a honeymoon, must have been great! We did the same trip as you did - ChCh to Q-Town, toured the sites, Milford Sound, etc - back in '05. That was really my only casual time on the South Island. I've been back to ChCh several times for business but not much fun.

The North Island is good too! Wellington is small, but the capital and "film central" with Peter Jackson's studios (in a bit of a slump atm) and Auckland is the Big Smoke with all the traffic and excitement of any big city.

Yeah the Jazz is great but nothing compares with the TSX Wagon for luxury and power, it's like driving a European car. The Jazz gives it some serious competition and excellent value for money.... and only uses half the gas...

Yeah some of the cars here are real head turners if you're visiting from Oz or USA and haven't seen a lot of true JDM imports, but you get used to them and after a little while you actually avoid owning one as they're usually tired and old (60,000 miles) when they arrive and like any car start going downhill. Not Hondas though