2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Did you install Honda door visors on your own?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Did you install Honda door visors on your own?

Looking at the directions College Hills Honda supplies with the door visor accessories for a 2010 Honda Fit, I'm a bit confused?

The front installation seems straight-forward and okay enough, but on the rear doors why do steps 28-30? It shows the front and back inside door runners being removed, and then re-glued in again? But the visors themselves look to only attach at the TOP of the door, so why all the fussing with the side runners?

Am I missing something here?
I'd appreciate it if someone who's done this could fill me in on how the job went?

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:23 PM

cant wait to hear this reason

Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM
probably helps to keep the water out? it looks complicated but i mindlessly followed instructions and it wasn't too bad

Old 07-15-2010, 06:01 PM
I've yet to get them for my Fit. I'll let you know.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 PM
There is a somewhat recent thread on this around here. Instructions show installing foam strips in the rear channel. Poster said they did one and not the other. Something with keeping the window tight in the runner, they didn't seem to think they were needed. My dealer said they use them, I never installed rear visors so I didn't use them either_

Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
I did the visors, I have no idea why those things were needed for the back... I did them anyway.

But there's one thing to keep an eye on... alignment. My passenger sides don't line up the way I like. Granted, you can't tell its off unless you look closely, but the fact I did it, bothers me.

Make sure its lined up!!!

Old 07-15-2010, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have a GE, but I have installed slim visors on my GD and the door runners I assume you are talking about is the window's gasket.

When I installed my slim visors, I had to pull the gasket out a little so I can get the all of the clips in position. I'm assuming that your visors are the OEM ones for the GE and that they also have clips to help hold and position them for installation.

The window gasket will go back in position once you tuck it back in and run the windows up and down a few cycles. Also, here is a video of a Fit visor install. It should be about the same regardless of generation.

YouTube - Podcast Episode #18 - Honda Fit Door Visors

Edit: Just noticed that the visors in the video don't have clips. Disregard.

Last edited by Hootie; 07-15-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Re hootie,

The oem visors all have little clips and adhesive foam strip.

But what everyone is talking about is an additional foam strip you directly into the window "run channel." You have to pull the runner out, unfold it and add the adhesive foam to the inside.

Best guess is that it tightens up the runner.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
You (or anyone else) wouldn't happen to have any pictures of this? It might help so we can help you all figure this out.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Nothing to figure. College Hills Honda has the pdf on the 2010 OEM visor install. Use the 'extra' foam strips or not. A search on this site will revel the recent post concerning this. That OP saw no need for them.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
hmm...wish I could be more helpful but mine came without instructions so I just figured it out..I will say when I was done there was nothing left over...hope that helps.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chazzlee
Looking at the directions College Hills Honda supplies with the door visor accessories for a 2010 Honda Fit, I'm a bit confused?

The front installation seems straight-forward and okay enough, but on the rear doors why do steps 28-30? It shows the front and back inside door runners being removed, and then re-glued in again? But the visors themselves look to only attach at the TOP of the door, so why all the fussing with the side runners?

Am I missing something here?
I'd appreciate it if someone who's done this could fill me in on how the job went?

Thanks!
I just did it, I took photos (although, rather quick photos... don't yet know how they turned out), and I will be posting a DIY ASAP.

Listen, it's really not difficult. The only thing difficult, or rather a little confusing, are the cross section views in those instructions. Once you realize what they're showing it's kinda' like one of those "Ohhhhhhhhhh... I get it!" moments. After that, it's a piece of cake. You just have to think about what you're doing when you're unsure.

Even if you mess up, there's not a lot you can do wrong that can't be corrected.

I'm going to post the DIY, like I said, but I recommend using the instructions from College Hills/Bernardi/etc., along with ANY DIY anyone chooses to follow.

Haven't really given it much thought... but I don't get the thin foam inserts into the window moldings. There just doesn't seem to be any logical reason for inserting them, as the directions suggest. They were a pain in the rear to get exactly right... but I did it, and it's over. For me, that was the only trying part of the install. Even so, not very trying at that.

If you don't wait for the DIY, don't worry about it. When all is said and done, it was a piece of cake. Don't let the directions baffle you, or give you reason for serious pause.

Actually, the worst part and most time consuming part was doing photos for each step for the DIY.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:32 PM
yupp, very simple. i've never done work on any of my cars untill i bought this honda fit. the door visors were the first thing i've ever installed by myself on any car, and it was actually pretty easy.

i did stand there for like 15 minutes staring at the channels wondering how the f*** am i gonna do this without messing something up?

i just gave it a shot, i didn't pull it out completely like the instructions say to do, i just pulled it out just enough to put the sealer in and then pushed the channel back in. i dont think it has to be reglued o.o

Old 07-16-2010, 03:49 PM
I was the one who reported in another thread that i did one and not the other....

the foam is NOT HARD to install. what it does is increase the pressure on the rubber lining, therefore making one of the clips a tighter fit -without the foam, the rubber can be pushed in very easy and is fairly loose. this means the clip doesnt hold tight without the foam.

fortunately, the clip serves almost NO purpose in holding the visor up; it only serves to help line everything up for using the tape