2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cleaning your steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Cleaning your steering wheel

Here we are, hot sticky weather and I notice my steering wheel is getting dirty too. I feel that tell tale sticky shit starting to happen on the back of the wheel. What is a good cleaner for the Fit's wheel? The wrong cleaner can ruin things and I want to avoid that. I used armor-all on a wheel a couple of cars back and it ruined even a non leather wheel. Plain old mild soap and water? Thanks for any advice.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 07-13-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
thats going to be the best imo,, its like washing your hands.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 AM
Dove bar soap dissolved in warm water.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
Mild hand soap on a damp microfiber towel. Then I finish up with Harley-Davidson Leather Care. It's a treatment H-D markets for use on leather jackets, etc.

Assuming this is the Sport leather wrapped wheel.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks all. I figured as much. And I'm a nut for keeping my hands clean too. Oh well, I'll clean 'er up nice.

Dan

Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
Disinfection wipes work really good, I use it every day in my truck. There not greasy and dont leave any residue, plus it kills bacteria.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Disinfection wipes work really good, I use it every day in my truck. There not greasy and dont leave any residue, plus it kills bacteria.
Yeah that's what I use too, Clorox wipes. Probably not the best for the leather but, whatever, works great for me.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
I have used those wipes on a non-leather wheel and they were a nightmare. They caused more sticking than cleaning. I don't think using them on leather is good, long term. I'll pass on that one. Thanks for the suggestion though. I guess soap and water is still the best. I thought maybe someone had a detailing product that did a great job. Guess not. Steering wheels can be totally ruined by the wrong cleaners over time, ime. I really like the Fit wheel- don't want to mess it up.

Dan

Old 07-15-2010, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Come on soap is a no go. Go with lexol u can get it at any auto parts store. I think im going to start a real detailing thread on here so every one know how to clean there car the right way

Old 07-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
on a dd i would use damp cloth with a mild soapy solution. then wipe again with just water on a towel.

you can use interior cleaners such as Griot's Interior Cleaner, but not necessary.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Come on soap is a no go. Go with lexol u can get it at any auto parts store. I think im going to start a real detailing thread on here so every one know how to clean there car the right way
The interior of my FIT is rather shy of leather. Really not enough to make a difference - keep the sticky off the steering wheel.

However, we all know that a Cadillac is loaded with leather. The past 5 years I drove a 1996 Sedan DeVille and was part of the Cadillac Owners Forum.

Much like this forum, only a whole lot bigger, it's full of folks trying to keep the motor running. One of the most unusual things to come out of that forum was this: Best off the shelf leather cleaner....? - Cadillac Owners Group

About six messages down this guy SANDY comes on and sets the world on it's ear. Look at the dates - 2005. Sandy is one of the more revered and respected members.

His method works. Take the time to look through the discussion. His cars are flawless, interiors stunning.

Made a believer out of me. God bless Sandy!

BTW We have a section you're looking for: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-care/ Post Post_On_

Old 07-15-2010, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
That Caddy forum is great. Of course, I never got to reading about cleaners or anything like that. I immediately hunted down some threads about head gasket problems, which is how my 97 caddy died just over a year ago. What a disasterous year that was with cars for me. Thousands later and both cars gone, I now zip along in my Fit. I wish I would have known about that caddy forum back then. I still wouldn't have chosen to dump the money into a fix or engine swap, but it would have been great to talk about.

Dan

Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 PM
HA! My living fear was the HG. I was lucky. It is a great group, however. Saved me a bundle replacing the rear knuckle bushings alone.

I liked my Caddies but I'm loving my FIT.

I guess it's live and learn, eh Shock!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
I wound up selling that caddy to a passerby for 300 bucks. An absolutely pristein '97 white deville, inside and out. I bought it a year prior for 4,500 and thought it was a steal for the shape it was in. One HOT summer day, feeling so very cold from that great AC, smoke, antifreeze spewing, limp home in camel mode, diagnostic work, a warning about a probable cracked engine from the whole thing even if they fixed the HG, and I threw in the towel. It was to be my next car in line, as my previous car was dying. Turns out I hated the caddy too. It was like driving around in a freakin yacht. Forget parking the thing. I was the only caddy driver out there that DIDN't drive 30mph in the thing. I used to try the 'same-car' wave thing with other caddy drivers until I realized I was the only deville driver under the age of 107. Gave up on that right quick. I referred to it as a 'Commy' car because all of it's default settings drove me absolutely insane and they couldn't be changed. The damn thing locked me out while filling up a tire with some air. I just hated the thing, and then it screwed me with a HG. I guess I'm not a luxury car lover, hense the Fit! LOL! Tell you what though- it's almost a year with my Fit and it's been a pleasure to not be paranoid about my ride failing me. It's been my cheapest year of owning a car in well over a decade, including gas and payments. I've SAVED money buying this Fit.

I guess I got OT here but what the hell, it's my thread anyway!

Dan

Old 07-15-2010, 08:53 PM
I just sold mine for $500. When a Cadillac goes wrong it can really go wrong. LOL Sorry to hear. But, good old Sandy did come up with a fine way to clean leather. That thread has been resurrected a number of times - not sure if the FIT crowd will bite, but it's simplestupid.

BTW I bought my 96 off EBAY out of Miami. $3600 five years ago. I had never even been to Florida, even flying down made it a deal.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
The interior of my FIT is rather shy of leather. Really not enough to make a difference - keep the sticky off the steering wheel.

However, we all know that a Cadillac is loaded with leather. The past 5 years I drove a 1996 Sedan DeVille and was part of the Cadillac Owners Forum.

Much like this forum, only a whole lot bigger, it's full of folks trying to keep the motor running. One of the most unusual things to come out of that forum was this: Best off the shelf leather cleaner....? - Cadillac Owners Group

About six messages down this guy SANDY comes on and sets the world on it's ear. Look at the dates - 2005. Sandy is one of the more revered and respected members.

His method works. Take the time to look through the discussion. His cars are flawless, interiors stunning.

Made a believer out of me. God bless Sandy!

BTW We have a section you're looking for: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-care/ Post Post_On_

Hmm i stand corrected. I always heard that this will ruin the leather over time. But i could be wrong. I buy all my supplys on detailersdomain. Good site and good prices. The only thing i don't have is a PC i need one so bad. I love my foam gun makes washing car a fun job

Old 07-16-2010, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
I have used those wipes on a non-leather wheel and they were a nightmare. They caused more sticking than cleaning. I don't think using them on leather is good, long term. I'll pass on that one. Thanks for the suggestion though. I guess soap and water is still the best. I thought maybe someone had a detailing product that did a great job. Guess not. Steering wheels can be totally ruined by the wrong cleaners over time, ime. I really like the Fit wheel- don't want to mess it up.

Dan
Let me know if you end up finding something decent, I was always picky with keeping my steering wheel clean, but it's a careful balance between cleaning/disinfecting, preserving the leather, and eliminating any residue left over after any application.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member
I'm gonna use a damp micro fiber cloth and that's all- no soap. I think the thing about it is getting it cleaned quickly. You can feel when it's getting dirty. Humid conditions this summer is not helping. The longer you let it go the more it turns to residue and the more of a bitch it is to clean. So...a damp cloth. What the hell. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestions!

Dan