2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Odd and Annoying Tailgating

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:09 PM
ive noticed this too ever since i switched cars.
going from a civic si hatcback to a fit

although both cars are equally small(i believe the si is even smaller in terms of cargo area) - i never notice ppl tailgate me when im in my si. this could be due to the color of the car as it was a black si with 20% tint. my Fit is a BOM and with 35% so i assume people think its a girl driving until they sweep across and notice a dick in the drivers seat

Old 07-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
It astounds me that people will tailgate large trucks in heavy freeway traffic so closely they can't possibly see their brake lights and are continuously having to hit their brakes hard to avoid rear ending them.... I watched people do that from one side of Austin to the other and I might have lightly used my brakes six or eight times when traffic would be close to coming to a stop.... Am I the only one that has noticed that tailgating has gotten worse since NASCAR has become popular and televised?
The bump draft has certainly brought the kids out to play, but around these parts it's the sprint cars that rule. Trouble with those guys is you put them on asphalt and they really can't figure it out, so they get drunk and jump in anything with keys in it and drive flat out till they get it sideways and find the dirt. Problem there is the blue lights are more than likely chasing them before they get too far.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I get this all the time and I finally decided that it had to my perception since the rear window is so close to me. Still it pisses me off and I usually slow down to force them to pass.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Driving the speed limit and giving the car in front of me a 3 second lead is not impeding the flow of traffic and if anything it allows the person behind me room to pull back into the lane after passing, something he couldn't do if I was riding someones ass... On 2 lane U.S. and state highways with a shoulder I will often pull over and let people pass when I am driving at the minimum speed limit.... Giving a slow moving car a lead allows me to accelerate to a safe passing speed before crossing the center line when it is permissible to pass. I have survived over 45 years of riding motorcycles, don't drive under but often over the speed limit and certainly do not impede the flow of traffic.
Thats not what I was talking about. The notion that you would slow down and only speed up when they attempt to pass you is what provoked me to comment from your previous post. That passive aggressive crap causes accidents and endangers everyone around you. Maybe it won't be you that collides with another vehicle or person but it sets the other driver in motion. More likely though the aggressive driver will clip you while cutting you off in anger.

I'm not saying that the aggressive driver is right and you should give him/her right of way just because. But I am saying that you shouldn't contribute to an already dangerous situation. It's best just to let them go. Let them speed off into the sunset and hopefully get nailed in a speed trap.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't really noticed this that much. I used to have a 92 Nissan 240SX and I dealt with a lot more tailgaters in that car than my 09 Honda Fit. I think that because my car is a lot newer, people give it more respect on the road. Maybe its just because of where I drive and how I drive. People don't seem to tailgate me for long, they always just pass me. Of course I let them pass me. Speeding up while someone is trying to pass you is insanely dangerous.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OC-NightHawk
Thats not what I was talking about. The notion that you would slow down and only speed up when they attempt to pass you is what provoked me to comment from your previous post. That passive aggressive crap causes accidents and endangers everyone around you. Maybe it won't be you that collides with another vehicle or person but it sets the other driver in motion. More likely though the aggressive driver will clip you while cutting you off in anger.

I'm not saying that the aggressive driver is right and you should give him/her right of way just because. But I am saying that you shouldn't contribute to an already dangerous situation. It's best just to let them go. Let them speed off into the sunset and hopefully get nailed in a speed trap.
I think you should read my post again because that is not what I said or what I do.... I follow at a safe distance even when the cars in front of me are going slow instead of tail gating so I can get around them when it is possible to pass and also making it possible for someone to pass me. My car is faster than a stock Fit and I still use the space between me and the car in front of me to gain speed before crossing over the center line to overtake and pass without having to worry about having to try pulling in where there is no place to go because of the damned tailgaters knowing they are going to stay on each others asses.... I am behind the same slow moving cars that everyone else is and want to go around them not frustrate them by not allowing them to pass or not be able to pull in because there is no space in front of me like they do to everyone else.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 07-07-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 PM
I think you should read my post again because that is not what I said or what I do....
Thats odd because in the post I responded to you said.

It pisses people off that I follow at a safe distance and have to increase it to avoid being rear ended by them if I have to stop quickly.... It is not a problem to leave them far behind and at times I will but it is more fun to wait until they finally go around me and pass them and the line of tailgaters they are stuck behind.
It looks a lot to me like you said you can move fast enough to not be tailgated (in italic) but that it is more fun to wait for them to try and pass and then speed up to make sure that they get stuck behind you (in bold).

That is exactly the attitude that causes accidents.

If you get upset while on the road try counting to ten or thinking about something else.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
I never said I slowed down to make anyone mad or to make sure they were stuck behind me, you added that to what I said... You are funny.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Fireball Roberts loved whipping by the hot shots after they tried so hard to prove themselves. Wonder who he learned that one from? No one, he was just fast!

Only danger is to their egos......_ it's why some of us love these FIT's

Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
My wife tailgates it drives me crazy. We were in Georgia a few years ago (wife driving) and there was this pickup truck that was on our bumper and every thing my wife did the guy would still stay there, It was raining and traffic was moving 30 mph on 75. I just laughed, I said now you know how it feels when you tailgate other people.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
I think this is why I spend so much time in the fast lane... exceeding the speed limit and even tailgating other drivers to get ahead: vehicles appear too close when behind the Fit. Bad habits that I'll somehow need to break real soon.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
It depends what lane I am in to how fast I drive, 1 thing I learned a long time ago is 9 your fine rule, a police officer said once 9 your fine 10 your mine. It also depends on how many tickets are needed.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako
I think this is why I spend so much time in the fast lane... exceeding the speed limit and even tailgating other drivers to get ahead: vehicles appear too close when behind the Fit. Bad habits that I'll somehow need to break real soon.
Moving faster than the flow of traffic can be a good thing if no one is determined to be on your tail I have always did that on motorcycles to avoid being run over and it was easier to do because of the ability to out accelerate about any car.... Persistent tailgaters are deterred by jerking the handlebars side to side making it appear that you are in a speed wobble... No one wants to wreck the underside of their car by running over a motorcycle. Doing that on a sidecar rig is the best especially when it is a patrol car at night and they want to give you a ticket for riding a motorcycle on two wheels because it is dangerous... I told the cop how stupid he would look in court and he decided not to ticket me............. Silver Bullet....... Have you noticed that a woman that tailgates isn't doing it to be aggressive.... It is just a natural thing to them.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Silver Bullet....... Have you noticed that a woman that tailgates isn't doing it to be aggressive.... It is just a natural thing to them. [/QUOTE]

Yes as they put on makeup. When I am in my truck and someone tailgates I can tell because the trailer wheels loses traction. It lifts up and goes side to side. Also get good looks looking down in my truck when cars pass me.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
The view sounds interesting but I had no idea that a trailer would do that...Do you mean it is being caused by aerodynamics?

Old 07-08-2010, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OC-NightHawk
Thats odd because in the post I responded to you said.

It looks a lot to me like you said you can move fast enough to not be tailgated (in italic) but that it is more fun to wait for them to try and pass and then speed up to make sure that they get stuck behind you (in bold).

That is exactly the attitude that causes accidents.

If you get upset while on the road try counting to ten or thinking about something else.
I think you are misinterpreting it...

In my mind, he means that he LETS the tailgater finish passing him, that tailgater then tailgates a line of other tailgaters. While TC stays in his lane and still ends up passing him because his lane is moving faster.

Things like that happen because a bunch of people think one lane is faster, tailgate each other, but when the lead car brakes for any reason, it slows the whole group quite quickly. And they're so determined to tailgate that they don't realize they could just lane change and go faster.

There have been plenty of times where some moron will tailgate me... and when I see an opening in the lane next to me, I move over and watch them speed up to tailgate the next guy in front of them.

Last edited by Goobers; 07-08-2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: whoops, typo.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
I love you Goobers...Thank you so much.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
Now that I've got the 55 shot in I usually just hit the purge once or twice and if that doesn't work I flick the switch and hit the gas, good times.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 AM
That would get you shot down here. Even little old ladies and librarians love their guns.... You ought to see how well my little 100lb wife is with a .357 magnum target pistol.... She packs a S&W .38 model 38 Airweight.
Sounds like a wonderful state. I suppose they'll chant praise to Jesus at the same time?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Occam
Sounds like a wonderful state. I suppose they'll chant praise to Jesus at the same time?
Totally uncalled for Occam there's more to life than jumping on the bandwagon and taking cheap shots, you surprise me.

Humor is a natural thing - you need to open your eyes to see it. Get with it brother.

Unless you think that's funny - then I'm totally missing something.

K_C_

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 07-08-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Odd and Annoying Tailgating