2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Mileage - Real Life, regular vs. premium

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Angry Forgive Me I Digress

Something is wrong - they [congress] want us to believe we are to blame.

We are to blame. We've allowed this situation to exist.

BP has taken over 100 days to do smething it should have been prepared to do in the first place, and if they weren't they should never have been permitted to do anything.

GUESS WHAT?

They were permitted by the US Government to do what they have done. We permitted them to do what they are doing, plain and simple.

Same with the farmers - they are paid to do what they - not grow - then cry the blues. Does any one really think that the United State Government is concerned with an 'illegal' labor force. It all fits together to serve special interests.

And pore old Blagojevich is getting pulled through the ringer for doing what??? Nothing more than Teddy ever did.

ARGGHHH!
Where's the coffee!! Almost time to pick up smoking again!!!

To get this vaguely on track, "winter blends" kill MPG, so how can that be a good thing.?.. sorry for the side track - 'twas Coyotes fault LOL

Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Something is wrong - they [congress] want us to believe we are to blame.

We are to blame. We've allowed this situation to exist.

BP has taken over 100 days to do smething it should have been prepared to do in the first place, and if they weren't they should never have been permitted to do anything.

GUESS WHAT?

They were permitted by the US Government to do what they have done. We permitted them to do what they are doing, plain and simple.

Same with the farmers - they are paid to do what they - not grow - then cry the blues. Does any one really think that the United State Government is concerned with an 'illegal' labor force. It all fits together to serve special interests.

And pore old Blagojevich is getting pulled through the ringer for doing what??? Nothing more than Teddy ever did.

ARGGHHH!
Where's the coffee!! Almost time to pick up smoking again!!!

To get this vaguely on track, "winter blends" kill MPG, so how can that be a good thing.?.. sorry for the side track - 'twas Coyotes fault LOL

Did you get you coffee? I thought I was stressed, I live in the state that he bankrupt not looking forward to tax increases so they can spend more money on things that were paid for years ago. Winter blends actually get better mileage but because of warm up and extra fuel to keep engine warm and putting a extra load on the engine that normally you dont have getting a few lost mpg is not bad. I dont like it but if you think about it your using more fuel because it air is cold you should get half the mpg than in the summer . I get side track all the time.

By the way I agree

Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Winter blends actually get better mileage but because of war....
I'm not sold on this - certainly considering the 'extras'. I'm not thinking fuel is blended in the NE to give a prompt winter start-up. Only so much you can do.

Cars run rougher in the winter around here - MPG suffers - not good.

Oil, on the other hand, is 'perfectly' suited to do exactly that. That's what the first number is all about. Easy turn over in zero deg start-ups.

I got the coffee. Costa-Rican light roast. PERFECT COFFEE

Old 07-14-2010, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not sold on this - certainly considering the 'extras'. I'm not thinking fuel is blended in the NE to give a prompt winter start-up. Only so much you can do.

Yes it is other wise you would not be able to start it. When you have the wrong gas you will crank it for hours at -30 below, have experience with that.
That was also a carburated car with summer gas.

Cars run rougher in the winter around here - MPG suffers - not good.

Here Too but on average I only lose 4-5 mpg considering extreme cold with lights on really bad for gas mileage. You are burning twice the fuel at idle when car is under load, the add longer warm ups and slower driving all add up to bad gas mileage. I usually get the best mileage in between season from summer to winter.

Oil, on the other hand, is 'perfectly' suited to do exactly that. That's what the first number is all about. Easy turn over in zero deg start-ups.

5w20 is good enough, I had synthetic last winter and still had slow cranking on those -20 mornings.
I got the coffee. Costa-Rican light roast. PERFECT COFFEE
Need coffee.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
If you were to disconnect the negative cable on your battery and reconnect it to reset the ECU after changing over you may or may not feel the difference and see an increase fuel mileage.... I am not going to say that you definitely will, but I did... I agree with not paying the extra money if no positive difference is experienced... It is hard to know how much of the added octane in todays fuel is from the percentage of ethanol being used, that stuff kills fuel mileage....All of the pumps in this area have a sticker stating that up to 10% methanol has been added to the fuel.... People are being killed by high fructose corn syrup and our fuel mileage is being killed by the same product being used in ethanol production..... Corporate greed sucks.
Yes yes yes on corporate greed sucks.
Up to 10 percent ethanol might go up to 15 percent ethanol by years end.

Cars benefit from higher ron octane, with smooth acceleration and better mileage at part throttle. mon is good for full throttle, the only problem is that mon octane is low for most fuels. they are suppose to add iso ocatane to raise octane but probable dont due to cost.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:42 PM
taxpayers are GIVING money to ADM for ethanol, one tv show deemed ADM the biggest freeloader in US.
anyway, not sure if this true, but I heard on tv (sorry it was not fox tv) that it cost more or take more energy to produce ethanol. arrrrh,

we need to promote/force the right decision and not something special interests push.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
The senators, congressmen, and political appointees are all tied to the lobbyist from at least one special interest in most cases many more.... They are paid to pass legislation that is going to allow their financial mentors to break laws, defraud and poison us, all for increased profits and power.... We are now at war with an idea referred to as terror as well as a war declared by Richard Nixon on drugs....Check out who the profiteers are that are making a killing playing both sides of these two... If you were to read of these things and cross reference the names of those involved you will find that it is the same families and members of certain fraternal orders behind all of the deception imposed on us for the last 100+ years... We are manipulated and governed by smoke and mirror deceptions including the biggest deception, that the U.S. is of the people by the people for the people.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The senators, congressmen, and political appointees are all tied to the lobbyist from at least one special interest in most cases many more.... They are paid to pass legislation that is going to allow their financial mentors to break laws, defraud and poison us, all for increased profits and power.... We are now at war with an idea referred to as terror as well as a war declared by Richard Nixon on drugs....Check out who the profiteers are that are making a killing playing both sides of these two... If you were to read of these things and cross reference the names of those involved you will find that it is the same families and members of certain fraternal orders behind all of the deception imposed on us for the last 100+ years... We are manipulated and governed by smoke and mirror deceptions including the biggest deception, that the U.S. is of the people by the people for the people.
Well said, With this oil spill, why didn't the oil prices go up? A earthquake in the middle of nowhere raises oil prices double. I dont want to give them any ideas like they dont already have a plan to raise gas prices.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Well said, With this oil spill, why didn't the oil prices go up? A earthquake in the middle of nowhere raises oil prices double. I dont want to give them any ideas like they dont already have a plan to raise gas prices.
Uh, maybe because this is just one new well, that wasnt producing yet anyway. How would that impact supply? An earthquake "in the middle of nowhere" can break a pipeline.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm thinking the oil prices are stable due to the fact that over the past year the 'speculators' have been chased off after Wall Street took it's dive. THEY were the crooks robbing us blind with $4/gal prices.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nikita
Uh, maybe because this is just one new well, that wasnt producing yet anyway. How would that impact supply? An earthquake "in the middle of nowhere" can break a pipeline.
Oil men are corporate elitist sociopaths that would have no problem using what is happening in the gulf as an excuse to raise prices.... Remember the big jump in prices in 1979 after Jimmie Carter wanted to take away their depletion allowance.... JFK imposed taxes on the foreign subsidiaries of oil companies and we all know what happened to and who succeeded him.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:42 PM
I found i was getting a few more mpg on premium shell V power gasoline.
You won't notice any difference in the city, but on the highway you will.
I use 87 octane in the city, but for roadtrips I will use Shell V power, getting an extra 30 miles on a tank is worth it
i was driving 75mph
in so cali, put on 4800 miles on that trip in my 2009 honda fit sport 5spd Auto
best tank was 417 miles from Sacramento to LA and still room to go about 1/4 -1/8 of a tank left. no low fuel light on yet so I should of easily got 450 plus miles on that tank!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Shell V-Power is most likely the best fuel on the market, plain and simple. I had the good fortune of running it through my 96Cadilllac Sedan DeVille a couple of years ago when I was spending time between Atlanta and Biloxi. Saw 31MPG on the highway with that V8. Couldn't believe it.

TOP TIER FUEL. It should be a national standard. Can only ask our selves why not.... real difficult to find any of the brands in the NE.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Shell V-Power is most likely the best fuel on the market, plain and simple. I had the good fortune of running it through my 96Cadilllac Sedan DeVille a couple of years ago when I was spending time between Atlanta and Biloxi. Saw 31MPG on the highway with that V8. Couldn't believe it.

TOP TIER FUEL. It should be a national standard. Can only ask our selves why not.... real difficult to find any of the brands in the NE.
Ive been using regular the last two tanks and mileage has been better but engine surges and I dont like that. Shell is good gas but I put Mobil in and getting 15 percent better mileage(44 miles per gallon on SC). Its probably because of different blends reacting and will go down on next tank. Humidity is very high and temps in lower 90s so octane requirement is low. Ran AC all the way home and got 38 mpg not to bad.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I was looking at the Top Tier site and see Mobile is on the list, wasn't for the longest time [years]. That I can get, but I'm mostly in Sunoco. Light foot - all you need, but avoid the firewall. 38MPG

Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Ive used premium gas for years and always liked the way my car drove but moneys getting tighter and I figured I would try regular and was surprised that my mileage went up. Mobil went top tier July 1st. Ive been researching gas out and like oil I think its all made from gas to liquid tech. so there more saturated hydrocarbons. My car setting could be set for premium and because of the high humidity less octane is required, so my settings are not adjusting back to regular. I will use regular for a while until I get my first oil change and see what happens.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
I think that nitrogen is introduce to the olefin's to saturate them so deposits are even lower, either way I am impressed so far with regular.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Ive used premium gas for years and always liked the way my car drove but moneys getting tighter and I figured I would try regular and was surprised that my mileage went up. Mobil went top tier July 1st. Ive been researching gas out and like oil I think its all made from gas to liquid tech. so there more saturated hydrocarbons. My car setting could be set for premium and because of the high humidity less octane is required, so my settings are not adjusting back to regular. I will use regular for a while until I get my first oil change and see what happens.
your car shouldn't hang on to the memory of the fuel that was put in it for more than a few milliseconds or else you could run into problems. for a car tuned to run on regular, there would be no problem with "memory" but for a car designed for premium, going the other way and hanging on to a "setting" for regular would cause major problems. The car has to ignite the fuel at the appropriate time on every spark so knowing what octane level of fuel is in the car is important on every detonation.

Imagine the reverse, a Premium fueled vehicle with regular gas into the tank hanging onto the setting that it still on premium. There would be massive numbers of predetonation events which would cause major problems. Since the fit is tuned/optimized for regular, the above predetonation wouldn't occur since the fit won't retard the timing for premium. likewise, there is no need for the fit to advance the timing when going "back" to regular gas. Detonation will occur at the exact same time for regular, midgrade, premium, super-mofo and since all have the same amount of power when detonated, there should be absolutely no difference and the fit's engine really doesn't car what's in it.

~SB

Old 08-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Old 08-13-2010, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
your car shouldn't hang on to the memory of the fuel that was put in it for more than a few milliseconds or else you could run into problems. for a car tuned to run on regular, there would be no problem with "memory" but for a car designed for premium, going the other way and hanging on to a "setting" for regular would cause major problems. The car has to ignite the fuel at the appropriate time on every spark so knowing what octane level of fuel is in the car is important on every detonation.

Imagine the reverse, a Premium fueled vehicle with regular gas into the tank hanging onto the setting that it still on premium. There would be massive numbers of predetonation events which would cause major problems. Since the fit is tuned/optimized for regular, the above predetonation wouldn't occur since the fit won't retard the timing for premium. likewise, there is no need for the fit to advance the timing when going "back" to regular gas. Detonation will occur at the exact same time for regular, midgrade, premium, super-mofo and since all have the same amount of power when detonated, there should be absolutely no difference and the fit's engine really doesn't car what's in it.

~SB
There is a short term memory that adjust timing and fuel in real time, in order for the car to run in all conditions it builds a long term memory map that the ecu can go back to for faster response to changing conditions. If there is no map it goes back to code (open loop) from the mfg and builds a new map. You are right that there might not be an advantage to premium over regular because the car can run either. If the car could not run on premium it would throw a code because it could not burn the fuel. When premium came out it the 80s there was alot of cars with check engine lights on when they ran premium. The new cars spray fuel and uses the timing to control the idle and when the ac goes on it doubles the fuel and timing usually retards because more fuel a faster burn. You dont want to run you car at MBT at idle because it doesn't know what your next move is. It would detonate, so it adds fuel so your car has available torque for a smooth takeoff and when you run more accessories it still has torque available. Premium has advantages over regular but it depends on your driving. It takes more energy to vaporize so it cools the engine pistons and burns more completely. High end car run premium for many reasons other than compression ratio. The main reason Honda requires regular is not because it is tuned to it, its because of the government and the limited supply of premium. I will admit that gasoline has changed from I started using premium and that regular will be OK only if I let the Scan gauge drive the car instead of me putting the pedal to the floor and drive as fast as I can. I got 48 mpg on the way to work today with the AC off, and I am using regular and will continue to use regular until mpg drops.

Quick Reply: Mileage - Real Life, regular vs. premium