2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Dealership scratched the heck out of my paint!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:27 PM
The Dealership scratched the heck out of my paint!!

I am new on here, but i had to tell someone about this! When i bought my 2010 Honda Fit Sport, black with manual transmission, about 3 weeks ago, i told them I wanted to take the pin stripes off. The salesman said,"yeah bring it back anytime and we can get them off for ya, or you can just peel them off yourself at home, it isn't too hard". So i figured i'd do it myself, i spent about 2 hours one day taking my sweet little time peeling each piece off, washed it, and then i realized the dang sticky crap wouldn't come off! the entire length of where the pin stripes once were, was a gooey glue, that i COULD NOT get off. So i brought it to the dealership and asked the salesman i used if they could handle that for me. He was real nice and said yeah come on back.. So he pulled out a can of some stuff and a rag and went to work. At first i thought it was weird that the salesman was doing it, instead of a guy in the shop, but i just ignored it. A few minutes later i realize this guy is scratching at it with his finger nails. I stopped him and asked if it was going to scratch my paint doing it that way. he sort of laughed and said "Na this isn't gonna damage anything, we'll just have to wax it after and it'll be good as new". I walked over there and took a closer look and could see a TON of little scratch marks. but he said he knew what he was doing so i let him have at it for a few more minutes. Then a guy from the shop walked up and asked him what the heck he was doing. The shop guy told him to stop and said he'd finish it. The salesman gave me a loaner car to drive for a few hours while the other guy finished the job, and when i returned the driver's side looked great, free of all sticky stuff, looked brand new. They even washed it, vacuumed it, and waxed it for me. But when i walked around to the passenger side (the side the salesman did), it was scratched the hell up, from the front to the back. So now i have to bring my car down next week so the shop guys can try and buff the scratches out, if that don't work then my 3 week old car is going to have to get a new paint job!! what the hell?? Well now i know, never let the salesman TOUCH your car!! Sorry for the long post but i figured somebody out there would enjoy my pain.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
At least there not claiming they didnt do it. Next time just take care of something like this your self. All you needed to use was a hair dryer to soften up the glue and some goo gone to get it off with a micro fiber rag. Then some wax and you wold have been set. If they are small scratches they should buff out.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Hope they polish out! I'd be pissed to say the least. WD-40 works good too.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:09 PM
I actually tried WD-40, didnt work. neither did acohol, or baby oil (someone said it would, but it didn't). I should of tried the hair dryer though. i just didnt feel like wasting any more time, being that i work all the time and got a house full of kids I figured i'd leave it to the "Professionals"... Now I know lol

Old 07-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Goo gone woulda took that off in two seconds always google lol it helps that I detail too if they can't get the screeches out try waxing with turtle wax ice the puck wax and that will help post a pic so we can tell u how to fix it and yeah man the dealership cleaned my car horribly when I picked it up as soon as I took it home I had to buff polish wax and fix whatever they put on the plastic on the inside it looked horrible I don't trust anyone anymore touching my paint and I bet u won't eather don't worrie u can get scraches out especely if they r light from fingernails

Old 07-02-2010, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Gasoline on a rag would of done the trick in 1 sec.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I was a little scared to experiment myself in because i didnt want to mess up the paint... better to have a Honda dude mess it up so they have to pay for it. plus, i get another free wash and wax job after they buff it out next week..

Old 07-02-2010, 05:10 PM
So what was the idea behind it being pinstriped in the first place? Don't think I've ever seen a FIT pinstriped.

An old trick used sometimes is to always make sure the drives side looks good, the first and sometimes the only place looked at when picking up a car. Good thing you took a walk around. They knew the other side was shitty and seems they might have been hoping you wouldn't notice.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
So what was the idea behind it being pinstriped in the first place? Don't think I've ever seen a FIT pinstriped.
ive seen many fits around here with pinstripes...they dont look the best...

Old 07-02-2010, 05:42 PM
When i ordered mine they did not have any on site, so they had to get one from a few states over. I said i wanted a black fit sport manual transmission, apparently i looked like i wanted pinstripes. I am NOT a fan of pinstripes or any other stickers for that matter. It didnt look bad, but i like a clean slick look that ya don't get with pinstripes. i plan on tinting the windows super dark and either getting some black rims or possibly trying to paint the stock ones, which i've seen some posts on and doesn't look bad.. the pinstripes would have totally took away from the all black look i'm going for.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
Mine came with pinstripes. I sometimes forget they're even there.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Just too small a ride and I really can't see the body line to follow, but I did love 'em on my Sedan Deville - painted ones at that.

When tinting be careful not to go too dark, unless you're familiar with what you're after. If you're wanting to tint all windows except the windscreen I would go 25% or 30% on the rear 5 windows and 45% on the front 4.

I went 35% on the rears and left the front as is. Wishing I had balanced it out to what I've suggested. I did put a 5% 7" strip across the top of the windscreen, however, and suggest the same.

And welcome to the orld of FITFreaks - no place to be shy

Old 07-02-2010, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
make them repaint that shit! i'd be super heated.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by baylorbro
Mine came with pinstripes. I sometimes forget they're even there.
Hey baylorbro, just took a look at your photo thread - nice ride, I like the red one.

I see the pin stripes, not sure about them but an interesting line, way high, not that bad actually. Too bad they didn't match the wheels. You ever think of that?

Old 07-03-2010, 12:15 AM
and every time i see pinstripes on GEs they are always are different, some go up when it gets to the last quarter window and some just keep going back. also ive see a few like this did you have ones that looked like this? (yea i did that in paint, but ive seen quite a few like this, never got a pic tho)

Name:  foa.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  35.0 KB

Old 07-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by SoloDolo
make them repaint that shit! i'd be super heated.
Take a cleaner/polish to it and it should be as good as new. The last thing to do is have them repaint the car. That would just be taking a bad situation and making it worse.