2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

iPhone and iPod adapters

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
iPhone and iPod adapters

Hi,

We just purchased our new Honda Fit (not the sports model), and we still absolutely love it! I noticed that it has an auxiliary input jack of some sort. I know I should be able to buy some type of cable that could link up my iPod, iPhone, or Nano to it, so I could hear my music through the car speakers. I've searched the forum and there are lots of posts, but it gets confusing since I don't know much about this, and most seem to be about the Honda Sports Fit. If someone would have time, could you please give me a name of the type of adapter I'd need and where I might find it.

Thanks so much!
A new owner,
Patsy

Old 06-30-2010, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
If you just need the cord to plug into the aux input on the stereo...all you need is a headphone cord that is male on both ends. I got mine at Radio Shack. I believe it was like 8 bucks. You plug it into the headphone Jack of your iPod and then into the aux port. I've had mine since my old civic but use it sometimes on road trips still. (my sport also has the USB adapter in glovebox)

Btw...where in Louisiana are you located? My parents and grandma live there.

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 06-30-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
If you just need the cord to plug into the aux input on the stereo...all you need is a headphone cord that is male on both ends. I got mine at Radio Shack. I believe it was like 8 bucks. You p,ug it into the headphone Jack of your iPod and then into the aux port.

Btw...where in Louisiana are you located? My parents and grandma live there.
Thanks so much! That sounds easy enough and you saved me a lot of time. By the way, I'm in Lafayette.

Thanks again,
Patsy

Old 06-30-2010, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Yup no problem...hope you will stick around and maybe learn some more about your awesome car.

Cool...my grandma lives in Sulphur while my parents live in DeQuincy.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Yup no problem...hope you will stick around and maybe learn some more about your awesome car.

Cool...my grandma lives in Sulphur while my parents live in DeQuincy.
Well, nice to meet you and thanks again for your help! I noticed that you named your car ...mmm, I guess I might think about giving mine a name too. So far, I've only had it for two days, but I really like it.

See you around!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
You can also just use the iPod cable (the white one that comes with your iPod/ iPhone) and plug the USB end into the adapter end in the glove compartment. It's USB to USB, so should be easy to figure out. Once you connect this way, you will be able to control your songs/ playlists... through the Fit Radio and it will charge your iPod as well.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blazej
You can also just use the iPod cable (the white one that comes with your iPod/ iPhone) and plug the USB end into the adapter end in the glove compartment. It's USB to USB, so should be easy to figure out. Once you connect this way, you will be able to control your songs/ playlists... through the Fit Radio and it will charge your iPod as well.
Thanks, Blazej! I'll try that too. I'm glad I found this message board!

Patsy

Old 06-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by blazej
That's on the Sport trim only.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
I'm glad you are enjoying your car...yes, I did name mine. Can't help it...she's a part of the family!

What color is yours?

Old 06-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
That's on the Sport trim only.
more specifically, it is only installed on the sports trim, but can be installed on the base model.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
It is the same cable you use to connect your iPod to your computer. You can get an extra one cheap from Amazon or eBay. Then just leave that one in the car.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by loubob57
It is the same cable you use to connect your iPod to your computer. You can get an extra one cheap from Amazon or eBay. Then just leave that one in the car.
I dont think this is correct

I have a base 09 fit and use the aux cable, but I was thinking about the adapter, but thought it was a more expensive hook up

Old 06-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by FIT410S
I dont think this is correct

I have a base 09 fit and use the aux cable, but I was thinking about the adapter, but thought it was a more expensive hook up
Its half correct. You can use the USB cable to plug into a port in the glove box. That said, there is no port in a base Fit. You can have on installed though. The big pluses are a single cable to charge and play, hidden location, and control via the stereo rather than on the ipod.

2010 Honda Fit - Accessory Detail - Official Honda Web site

Old 06-30-2010, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Cheap solution for those that want the best method of controlling an iPod (since the factory control is adequate, but not great).

Pick up a Harman Kardon Drive+Play and run it into the Aux input. (we got ours for the Ridgeline on clearance at TJMaxx for $20) It has a dash mount display and gives you full control of your iPod. My wife leaves her 30GB Video in the truck. works with her 1G Touch too.

~SB

Old 07-01-2010, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, thanks for all the help everyone! I have a basic Honda Fit 2010 (not the Sports model), so no USB port in glove compartment. My husband went out and got an $11 male/male adapter at Office Depot and the iPhone, iPod, and Nano all work great on it! I'm very happy for now. Might look into something later, but for now, this was a very inexpensive and perfect solution for me.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Old 07-01-2010, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
I'm glad you are enjoying your car...yes, I did name mine. Can't help it...she's a part of the family!

What color is yours?
I have a white one too and I'm loving it. Oh, and now Btrthnezr3, my only problem is that I want to name my car too! LOL

Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Congrats and Good Luck with your new Fit...Yeah ipod/iphone adapters is very easy to get. It's not a prob. lol

Old 07-01-2010, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry - yes, this only works for the Sport model.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jagass
Congrats and Good Luck with your new Fit...Yeah ipod/iphone adapters is very easy to get. It's not a prob. lol
Thanks, Jagass! I've only had it a week and I love it! And the adapters are working out just fine.

Sorry - yes, this only works for the Sport model.
Yes, you're right ...I don't have the sports model with the usb port, but the adapter is working for me. Thanks!