2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Oil: The debate starter.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Oil: The debate starter.

Ok, so I know this is what gets people crazy on other car forums, but what is everyone's oil preference for Honda Fit engines?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Seriously - your first post - what's your objective - search around if you're looking for info - complete your user CP.

EDIT: Margelous is credited with starting a good post. see post #12

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 08-13-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
If you want to see fur fly you need to start a thread about the use of premium fuel instead of regular (which is the lowest grade of fuel that can be used in a Fit according to the owners manual)..... Harumph! Now back to your question.... Presently I am using Mobil1 5w30 but used Royal Purple 5w20 the last 2 oil changes. I briefly used 10w30 Castrol Syntec after the first oil change but I could feel a loss of power caused by the higher viscosity and my fuel mileage dropped.... I am now running 10 psi of boost and may decide to use higher viscosity oil with Zinc if it appears that my engine has signs of blow by or oil consumption between changes.... 5w20 works the best for fuel mileage and power.... Synthetic oil has a longer service life and results in less environmental harm.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
If you want to see fur fly you need to start a thread about the use of premium fuel instead of regular (which is the lowest grade of fuel that can be used in a Fit according to the owners manual)..... Harumph! Now back to your question.... Presently I am using Mobil1 5w30 but used Royal Purple 5w20 the last 2 oil changes. I briefly used 10w30 Castrol Syntec after the first oil change but I could feel a loss of power caused by the higher viscosity and my fuel mileage dropped.... I am now running 10 psi of boost and may decide to use higher viscosity oil with Zinc if it appears that my engine has signs of blow by or oil consumption between changes.... 5w20 works the best for fuel mileage and power.... Synthetic oil has a longer service life and results in less environmental harm.
thanks man. im about to do my first oil change @30% and almost a year after about 5k miles. do you recommend 5w30 or 5w20 for the first change to synthetic? i live in the washington dc area driving mostly short trips. the weather is very humid here, as dc was built on a swamp

Old 06-29-2010, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Tex, I use 5w20 royal purple, too. A guy on ebay was selling a case of 12 qts for just over $85 shipped. Not bad since they go for $9/qt at the local auto shop.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
The kind of driving your car is being subjected to is terribly hard on the engine due to the engine not running long enough to dissipate moisture that accumulates while it is warming and fuel contamination of the oil while running a richer fuel mixture during warm up....It is really bad during the winter months... I would cut back on short trips by taking care of as much as you can in one trip when possible. In a situation like yours it would be a good idea to change oil more frequently than the oil minder says to, and if you are paying to have it changed and only driving 5000 miles a year I would use conventional 5w20 during the winter and get it changed when the weather gets warm and use 5w30 if you are spending a lot of time in traffic with the A/C on in the summer, if not 5w20 is fine... If you plan to keep the car for many years synthetic oil is worth the cost but what is more important in your situation is oil changes... It takes about 10 miles or more of continuous driving to completely evaporate condensation inside your engine.. The damage from interaction of the water and different metals that it comes into contact with while circulating with the oil creates acid that causes metal deterioration and eats up the main, connecting rod bearings timing chain and sprockets and on and on..... It could be worse, larger engines take longer to reach operating temperature. You should change the oil twice a year regardless of miles driven in your situation.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
Hey Tex, I use 5w20 royal purple, too. A guy on ebay was selling a case of 12 qts for just over $85 shipped. Not bad since they go for $9/qt at the local auto shop.
That is a good deal... I need to use a higher viscosity than I have been until I get some gauges and see what the oil pressure and temperature is like now.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
I like using a mix of (2) 5W20 and (2) 5W30. It theoretically should amount to a 5W25. :P Was just stateside and purchased a case of Eneos 5W20 and a case of 5W30 for about $115 because here in Japan, just a 4 liter container of the same Eneos oil goes for like $110. Petroleum products are ridiculously expensive in Japan.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The kind of driving your car is being subjected to is terribly hard on the engine due to the engine not running long enough to dissipate moisture that accumulates while it is warming and fuel contamination of the oil while running a richer fuel mixture during warm up....It is really bad during the winter months... I would cut back on short trips by taking care of as much as you can in one trip when possible. In a situation like yours it would be a good idea to change oil more frequently than the oil minder says to, and if you are paying to have it changed and only driving 5000 miles a year I would use conventional 5w20 during the winter and get it changed when the weather gets warm and use 5w30 if you are spending a lot of time in traffic with the A/C on in the summer, if not 5w20 is fine... If you plan to keep the car for many years synthetic oil is worth the cost but what is more important in your situation is oil changes... It takes about 10 miles or more of continuous driving to completely evaporate condensation inside your engine.. The damage from interaction of the water and different metals that it comes into contact with while circulating with the oil creates acid that causes metal deterioration and eats up the main, connecting rod bearings timing chain and sprockets and on and on..... It could be worse, larger engines take longer to reach operating temperature. You should change the oil twice a year regardless of miles driven in your situation.
Thanks a bunch man. you are a wealth of knowledge.
I want to use synthetic and will try and do longer trips.
I will change the oil 2 times a year, as you recommended for my style and conditions.
I can buy a 5qt large jug of synthetic at walmart for like 20-22 bucks. I never run the ac even in the summer, as I like the windows down with my dog.
Would 5w20 synthetic be ok?
also, I will go to the parts store or walmart and buy a filter. what brand would you recommend ? i dont mind paying for a good brand

i like quality, as i eat mostly raw organic food

Old 06-29-2010, 03:38 AM
Well it would be nice if I typed "oil" into the search function and got something other than no matches or "oil change" without getting unrelated topics.

So thanks to all the others for replying

I was curious to ask because there always seems to be a big rift between synthetic and dino oil and dealerships all seem to use different oils, while other manufacturers swear by only one oil. Everyone always says synthetic is a waste, but they sure sell mobil1 for a decent price at walmart.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:49 AM
for the Fit......no biggie

i'm using motorcraft 5W20 synthetic blend......

bought tons of them for $4.99/5 quart jug.......regular $14.99

Last edited by NaTuReB0Y; 06-29-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by Margelous
Well it would be nice if I typed "oil" into the search function and got something other than no matches or "oil change" without getting unrelated topics.

So thanks to all the others for replying

I was curious to ask because there always seems to be a big rift between synthetic and dino oil and dealerships all seem to use different oils, while other manufacturers swear by only one oil. Everyone always says synthetic is a waste, but they sure sell mobil1 for a decent price at walmart.
Hey Margelous Didn't mean to crimp you - guess it was the way you titled the thread and the day I was having and the search engine here.... - - well you know that part.

There's at least one Amsoil fan around here that I know of and the recommendation coming out of my Honda service guy is to wait till you run through two oil changes before switching to syn - if that's the way you want to go - just keep it 5W20, but what I'm seeing is that if you're in the cold climes going to a 0W20 is perfectly okay.

I'm still in dino mode but will be going to a true 5W20 extended syn oil after two dino changes. Just need to figure out which syn fit's the FIT.

K_C_peace

Old 06-29-2010, 07:47 AM
I went to the Dealer last week and the Service Tech Boss told me, It would be fine if I changed out my Break-in / Dino full of molly oil at 4000-5000 miles, and the new Honda SI engine is actually running 0W20 and the Insight is too. So if you want to run even 0W20 that would be fine also. Amsoil is my oil but you can use any that you like. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 AM
0w20 Pennzoil Platinum for me. My car went a hair over 17,000 kms (~10,500 miles for the metric-challenged) on the factory fill before reaching 15% on the MM, so I figured that synthetic would be good for OCI of that length (95% highway driven).

And yes, Honda sells 0w20 oil in the "Honda" bottles for use in a couple of their vehicles. Apparently it's a high-quality syn-blend.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
The Fit is the first car I've let tell me when it wants the oil changed. I've gone from 6 oil changes /year with the Neon to twice a year with the Fit (approx. every 10,000 miles). I figured if I was going to run the oil that long, I wanted something good in there, so I started using Mobil 1 5w20 at the first oil change (10,000 miles).

At 23,000 miles the car runs great, and oil consumption is too low to measure-about a pint in 10,000 miles.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by baylorbro
sounds like some good purple drink

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
I like using a mix of (2) 5W20 and (2) 5W30. It theoretically should amount to a 5W25. :P Was just stateside and purchased a case of Eneos 5W20 and a case of 5W30 for about $115 because here in Japan, just a 4 liter container of the same Eneos oil goes for like $110. Petroleum products are ridiculously expensive in Japan.
you might do better having someone ship you some good stuff

Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
for the Fit......no biggie

i'm using motorcraft 5W20 synthetic blend......

bought tons of them for $4.99/5 quart jug.......regular $14.99
was that on close out at some big store?

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
The Fit is the first car I've let tell me when it wants the oil changed. I've gone from 6 oil changes /year with the Neon to twice a year with the Fit (approx. every 10,000 miles). I figured if I was going to run the oil that long, I wanted something good in there, so I started using Mobil 1 5w20 at the first oil change (10,000 miles).

At 23,000 miles the car runs great, and oil consumption is too low to measure-about a pint in 10,000 miles.
you must have a long commute

Old 06-29-2010, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Chevron Supreme, Group II+, full of moly, $2 a quart when on sale. UOA's prove its all thats needed.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:30 PM
hey guys or girls

I have 2 5qt jugs of unopened walmart brand synthetic SUPER TECH

One is 5w30 and the other is 10w30

Will either of these be ok?

Thanks

Old 06-29-2010, 04:45 PM
You can use anything you want..... Personally I wouldn't, see if you can return it for some good 5w20 synthetic if you can.Supertech is okay to use. Good luck, Walmart is pretty good at exchanges.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by wacky wick
You can use anything you want..... Personally I wouldn't, see if you can return it for some good 5w20 synthetic if you can.Supertech is okay to use. Good luck, Walmart is pretty good at exchanges.
I might just do that.

thanks

Quick Reply: Oil: The debate starter.