2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Oil: The debate starter.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by honda2112
I was using Cam2 recommended by my mechanic and the Fit never misses a beat. He's kinda far away so I'm switching to Mobil 1 at the shop down the road. I used Mobil 1 before in all my other Hondas, def a rock solid oil.
I travel long distance to work so Mobil1 never let me down, In all my Honda's I use M1 and know I could have left it in longer with no problems. I was trying to save money and use Dino but if I want to save money I should use M1. I used Cam2 in the 80s, but it disappeared up here in Illinois.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
I wasn't really sure about it, never heard of Cam2, I was going on his judgement since he's been a mechanic and tuning cars since he was like, 5 or some shit.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
MY neighbor in Chicago used it in his race car 20w50. How much we learn, I would never use it now at least 20w-50 race oil. It was a 79 Z28 Maroon with black tinted window and Centerline wheels 4 speed. Very nice car for that age. I wish I had that car now. Here a link it is still available CAM2.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
My mechanic sold me on Mobil 1 synth, my first change. My Fit ain't complaining yet.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Looks like I am going to Mobil1 in after 6000 miles. Ive alway had go luck with it and dont have to worry.

SilverBullet, that would be a good choice, The Amsoil XL 5W20 is a better choice, better oil all around. Amsoil XL 5W20 is made to run for 7500 miles. Mobil 1 doesn't state any mileage, there extended oil is good for around 5000 mile if I recall. Mobil one is not made with PAO base stock like Amsoil. That's why the Amsoil has a longer life. if you don't mind spending a little extra go with the Amsoil.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:00 AM
My automotive habits were developed long before there was any synthetic oil. I've used nothing but dino oil all my life and since I've never (key word being never) had a mechanical problem with an engine, car, motorcycle or boat dino oil works for me.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by whaap
My automotive habits were developed long before there was any synthetic oil. I've used nothing but dino oil all my life and since I've never (key word being never) had a mechanical problem with an engine, car, motorcycle or boat dino oil works for me.
I've got to agree with you on this whaap

I would venture to say there are very few engine issues associated with oil selection these days. I remember a F150 I had. I would only change the filter in that beast because I was constantly needing to add oil so I figured it was alway a good % fresh.

Thing with the FIT and it's extended oil change interval has gotten me convinced to go with synthetic. It's a tiny four banger spinning like crazy so that's going to test anything I use, might as well embrace the advanced technology of the Synthetics and start using them - I will wait for two changes of the dino just to be sure the moving parts have gotten a good introduction, however.

K_C_

Old 07-02-2010, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wacky wick
SilverBullet, that would be a good choice, The Amsoil XL 5W20 is a better choice, better oil all around. Amsoil XL 5W20 is made to run for 7500 miles. Mobil 1 doesn't state any mileage, there extended oil is good for around 5000 mile if I recall. Mobil one is not made with PAO base stock like Amsoil. That's why the Amsoil has a longer life. if you don't mind spending a little extra go with the Amsoil.
No thanks there is no advantage to use Amsoil, You still have to get oil analyzed and its cheaper to change it. I can go to any store to get M1 and would have to stock pile Amsoil. Oil stocks dont wear down only additives get use up especially with a bypass filter. I am not saying Amsoil doesn't do what it claims, I heard great things about it, but it costs more. Mobil1 has different oils their clean series is guaranteed to 5000,7500 and Mobil1 is until mileage minder say so usually up to 10000 miles. Their Extended is 1 year or 15000 miles and probably go further on all oils. Their tri syn oils is group 3,4,5. There are 7 groups of oil 1,2,2+,3,3+,4,5 and probably more with Gf5 rating coming out.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 07-03-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Found group 3+
Old 07-03-2010, 07:05 AM
whatever you like, there is no need to analyze your oil or run a by-pass filter either . It's your Fit. I would go with the extended Mobil 1, if your going to use the maintenance minder.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
I feel good about any synthetic on todays market and would never be able to wait out the minder if using a non synthetic. I have changed oil at an average of 5000 miles using synthetic even.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
I found out that group 3+ oils is GTL technology (gas to liquid). This website explains oils pretty well All About Motor Oil . I dont trust dino oil either with out a bypass filter. By time you see the oil getting dirty it needs to be replaced. A By pass filter filters down to 1-3 microns. Most full flow filters filter down to 25microns at 98 percent, it filters more than that but a lower rate. Damage to engine starts at 5 microns and the oil holds most of that in suspension until next oil change. If you used a bypass filter in place of a full flow it would burst or oil would not filter at all.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
whatever you like, there is no need to analyze your oil or run a by-pass filter either . It's your Fit. I would go with the extended Mobil 1, if your going to use the maintenance minder.
If you read the amsoil site they recommend a by pass filter and you do need to get oil analyzed if you leave the oil in for 30000 miles. The problem with oil in that long is that thickens up. 5w-20 oil will thicken up to 50w or higher and theres no advantage with that thick of oil in your car especially when theres proof that thinner oil give better gas mileage. So money saved is money lost in gas mileage.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Silver Bullet, I'm lucky to see 5000 miles before I change my oil, or 6 months what ever comes first..... I bet the oil that comes out of my Fit is better than Mobil 1 and might be just as clean. Either way I give up there is no rhyme or reason for my ethics. I am just anal when it comes to maintenance.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Hey guys im a fan of AMS oil. But what is the bennifit from using 5w20 over 10w30. I was going to use 10w30 but might change to 5w20 it seems every one uses that

Old 07-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Use the 0w20 lots of protection and gas mileage. I put it in Mom and Dad's Honda Odyssey with no problems they live in Delray Beach,Fl.... Works great.
They do about 12000 mile a year, I change out the filter in six months and add what is missing about 1/2 quart. Then I change it out after a year.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Use the 0w20 lots of protection and gas mileage. I put it in Mom and Dad's Honda Odyssey with no problems they live in Delray Beach,Fl.... Works great.
They do about 12000 mile a year, I change out the filter in six months and add what is missing about 1/2 quart. Then I change it out after a year.
0w20 is hard to find around here. My dealer wont even put it in. I dont think they carry it. Ive use 0w20 in my 2004 civic and pickup a mile or two per gallon in gas mileage. Hurricane Katrina hit the plant down in Texas and there has been a shortage ever since. Mobil1 is good up to 10000 miles, maybe more but there a point that the oil thickens up and mileage drops. So at 3.00 gallon gas prices it easier to change oil at 5000-6000miles.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Hey guys im a fan of AMS oil. But what is the bennifit from using 5w20 over 10w30. I was going to use 10w30 but might change to 5w20 it seems every one uses that
5w20 is what Honda recommends, you get better protection at startups, better mileage. Oil thickens as it is used so you want the recommended oil in there. 10w30 is a great oil but it not a gf4 rated oil it gf3. Not much difference but has more wear protection for older cars and also used if you added a turbo because of the better additive package. Basically all oils are similar with exception to quality of, base stocks, additives. There is actually less additives in syn. because there base stocks are so much better. Syn. are considered carrier oils. They meet API requirements but can hold more dirt with out leaving deposits on parts with out viscosity improvers. Honda uses moly an the pistons and as your engine wears it builds up a coating on metal parts, once formed you only need to maintain, so that why I call syn. carrier oil the extra moly is just carried around in the oil. Dino oil can build up these deposits to form sludge, after the additives are used up and oil breaks down.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
Silver Bullet, I'm lucky to see 5000 miles before I change my oil, or 6 months what ever comes first..... I bet the oil that comes out of my Fit is better than Mobil 1 and might be just as clean. Either way I give up there is no rhyme or reason for my ethics. I am just anal when it comes to maintenance.
I usually change my oil at 6000 miles not because the oil needs to be changed but because my mileage dropped and I looked at the oil to see how thick and dirty the oil is. The oil has a orange/red tint, that the moly I spoke of.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I usually change my oil at 6000 miles not because the oil needs to be changed but because my mileage dropped and I looked at the oil to see how thick and dirty the oil is. The oil has a orange/red tint, that the moly I spoke of.

Keep putting that molly in there you don't get that in Amsoil. I rest. I might as well use Mobil 1 now too

Old 07-03-2010, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Keep putting that molly in there you don't get that in Amsoil. I rest. I might as well use Mobil 1 now too
1. Honda coat pistons, and every oil with an energy conserving circle has some moly in there. 2. Theres more moly in amsoil, which is not necessarily good. 3. Use what you want, but dont try to sell amsoil with out knowing what you are talking about. Amsoil is a great oil but is it really needed. Mobil 1 is not necessarily needed too, but its used by a lot more people with no problems and can be bought at any store. There been a fight between M1 and amsoil since the 70s.

Quick Reply: Oil: The debate starter.