2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CAI custom build :D

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by MADMAN-_-zZ
Updated guys, let me know how it works out for you if you try.

thanks for the rep insane_one!
Thanks!!!

I'd give you more rep for the measurements but it said I must spread some around first. Guess I need to be a + rep whore.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Thanks!!!

I'd give you more rep for the measurements but it said I must spread some around first. Guess I need to be a + rep whore.
Haha thats ok, see if it works for you first

Old 06-26-2010, 12:44 PM
take ur time, when time allows, my orders are :

1) open bonet
2) inside car
3) behind car ...

that's all for the order !

cheers

Old 06-29-2010, 07:57 PM
I made my shield...works great. Thanks so much Madman!
I did a little test drive for about 20 minutes and came back and the filter area was at least 20 degrees cooler than the rest of the engine bay.
These were just some quick pics with the cell phone before the test drive.
I'm going to finish up the padding around the edges off better.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-29-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
I made my shield...works great. Thanks so much Madman!
I did a little test drive for about 20 minutes and came back and the filter area was at least 20 degrees cooler than the rest of the engine bay.
These were just some quick pics with the cell phone before the test drive.
I'm going to finish up the padding around the edges off better.
Thats great ^_^ Im glad to have been of some help!

Old 06-30-2010, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
This is basically the K&N intake, very nice job.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:14 AM
One last question. What type of rubber insulation did you use? Where did you get it?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
One last question. What type of rubber insulation did you use? Where did you get it?
Its an insulation from a rubber supply here called Clark Rubber, not sure what its called but it has a U shape clasp on one side and the foam bubble on the other, only thing I can suggest is to look at large hardware stores in their weather proofing section or if you have a rubber supply store like Clark rubber

this is a profile of what I got

Name:  Seal.png
Views: 110
Size:  25.9 KB

Last edited by MADMAN-_-zZ; 06-30-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Yea I looked around here and couldn't find anything like that. I did find some other weather seal at Home Depot. Seems to work good.

Here is an updated pic.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:02 PM
hey why does every1 use the straight intake? by going th route i did i now have a little chamber of air like the power chamber intakes and what not. but does any1 else run an intake like me? does any1 have a sound clip of just a fit with intake cuz i cant hear mine over my exhaust....

Old 06-30-2010, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitisbamf
hey why does every1 use the straight intake? by going th route i did i now have a little chamber of air like the power chamber intakes and what not. but does any1 else run an intake like me? does any1 have a sound clip of just a fit with intake cuz i cant hear mine over my exhaust....
I feel like less bends in the piping would improve the speed of the air getting to the throttle plus the stock air box intake was located in the same place as now the new one is, thought I'd make use of the mini hood scoop and also build an air box as close to the K&N one as I could.

I like where yours is situated though, looks cool, mines more tucked back and hidden away, maybe with the position of yours It would pay off more to have intake like this

thats what I have in mine, maybe thats where the extra noise is coming from...

Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Fitisbamf: I agree with Madman. The under hood scoop feeds there and less tubing away from the engine itself..that's why it makes sense to me to keep that same location. Since installing my heat shield I noticed my heat shield gets really hot. It essentially blocks a majority of heat from the engine and keeps a nice cool pocket of air by the intake filter. When running your intake piping parallel to the side of the engine I wonder if your intake piping is heating up really hot and essentially warming all the cold air your intake is taking in? If so your intake is not helping performance at all. Is there anyway you can insulate or create a heat shield for your setup?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Fitisbamf: When running your intake piping parallel to the side of the engine I wonder if your intake piping is heating up really hot and essentially warming all the cold air your intake is taking in? If so your intake is not helping performance at all. Is there anyway you can insulate or create a heat shield for your setup?
header/exhaust wrap???

Old 07-02-2010, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
Yea I looked around here and couldn't find anything like that. I did find some other weather seal at Home Depot. Seems to work good.

Here is an updated pic.
Nice job BTW, nice clean finish, looks like you have an AT fit, where did you mount the shield?

Old 07-02-2010, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member
Looks awesome! If anyone has a scangauge do a before and after with the IAT reading and see how much extra power you are making. Remember, + ~1% power for every 10 degrees cooler.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Nice job BTW, nice clean finish, looks like you have an AT fit, where did you mount the shield?
Thanks, Good eye...yes I'm auto.
If you look in the pic there is two support arms right below the heat shield. Those are attached to the bottom of the heat shield and then the two holes the existing air box mounted to (in the pic directly below the blue breather filter). I had a third bracket mounted in the middle of the heat shield that ran out front to another mounting hole but realized it wasn't really needed (sturdy without it) so I took it off. Gives it a much cleaner look.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Looks awesome! If anyone has a scangauge do a before and after with the IAT reading and see how much extra power you are making. Remember, + ~1% power for every 10 degrees cooler.
Thank you as well. I wish I had a scangauge but I don't. I was thinking of taking a temperature reading outside the heat shield then inside the heat shield (where the filter is) to get a rough estimate of the temp difference, but haven't got around to it. Sucks because it would be an even bigger temp difference when the car was running and being fed cold air to that area but at least I could get an idea doing what I said before.
Since K&N setup is pretty much the exact same design I'm guessing its around a 4-5hp gain.

The last week or so mornings have been really cool. Before the heat shield I didn't really notice a big change in acceleration cold to hot outside. Yesterday and today I notice a big change. I would be barely on the accelerator and the car would pull much harder. Of course this could all be in my mind

Last edited by Committobefit08; 07-02-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you as well. I wish I had a scangauge but I don't. I was thinking of taking a temperature reading outside the heat shield then inside the heat shield (where the filter is) to get a rough estimate of the temp difference, but haven't got around to it. Sucks because it would be an even bigger temp difference when the car was running and being fed cold air to that area but at least I could get an idea doing what I said before.
Since K&N setup is pretty much the exact same design I'm guessing its around a 4-5hp gain.

The last week or so mornings have been really cool. Before the heat shield I didn't really notice a big change in acceleration cold to hot outside. Yesterday and today I notice a big change. I would be barely on the accelerator and the car would pull much harder. Of course this could all be in my mind
It's really hard to tell cause as you said It may just be wishful thinking... I'd say acceleration is a bit better then when I had it off but I dunno if my mind is fooling me, My Girlfriend drove the car after I installed it and she reckons there's definitely a difference to how it was before.. if that counts for anything :P

Old 07-03-2010, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
doesn't the aluminum conduct heat? and what'd you use for the rubber molding? I love that box and i'm just waiting on the adaptor in order to start the intake part.

ps, i like the paint on the lettering of your valve cover.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jnesselroad
doesn't the aluminum conduct heat? and what'd you use for the rubber molding? I love that box and i'm just waiting on the adaptor in order to start the intake part.

ps, i like the paint on the lettering of your valve cover.
aluminium conducts heat but also disperses it just as well, a lot of alloys are used for heat dispersion because of that, the rubber was just purchased from a store but its hard to say where you can find it, just have to shop around.

the paint on my rocket cover was like that stock, I found it strange how I saw some on these forums that don't have the paint :P

Quick Reply: CAI custom build :D