2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cheese cloth question for you detail pros

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Cheese cloth question for you detail pros

I had a quite a few scratches on my hood (don't asked me how) and I went after it as stated in this thread https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-question.html. I didn't go the clay bar route as it was made clear to me that it does not remove scratches so I opted for McGuire's Scratch-X 2.0 along with some McGuires ColorX and topped with some Finish 2001 and the results were great with about 90% of the scratches gone.

But my question is about cheese cloth. I have always use cheese cloth but the stuff doesn't seem to exist nowadays. The stuff that I am used to using is usually wrapped around an oblong piece of cardboard and is generally pourous. Pourous enough so that it has the ability to softly scrub the wax off (and gets snagged everywhere). But I can no longer find it in any auto parts store. I have found some in a crafts store but it is definitely nothing like what I used to use and it looked way too course. I ended up using a micro-fiber/terry cloth but it is so soft that all it does is smear the wax around and not removed it. I got it off using my polisher but prefer to do it by hand....

Where in the heck do you guys get cheese cloth?

(Wow! All that to ask where to get cheese cloth!)

Old 06-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Your local grocery store. Baking section I believe.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Just a quick note but anytime you are applying polish, wax, scratch x etc. I would recommend you clay bar the vehicle thoroughly. Any contaminants still on the paint after washing before waxing, polishing etc...will cause more damage. You are essentially just moving the contaminants across your paint if they are not removed first.

I'm not familiar with cheese cloth but I would be careful that it doesn't inflict any more swirls and scratches. I personally like the microfiber towels and be really careful when wiping anything on your paint. I've seen soft microfiber towels applied too hard and cause swirls/scratches.

Another good option for drying or cleaning is waffle weave towels. They lift the dirt up and away from the paint.
Click here...
Search Result

Finally to answer your question I believe you can buy cheese cloths at your local Home Depot. I'd check there.
QEP Cheese Cloth, 100% Cotton Tile Polishing Cloth, Tile Grade, Cleans Grout Haze, Lint Free, 5 SQ Yards - 76030-12 at The Home Depot

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-14-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Your local grocery store. Baking section I believe.
Correct.

Go to any auto parts store. They have a bounty of cloths to choose from.

Dan

Old 06-14-2010, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
I do have to say though.....nothing smells nicer than a spotless car with 3 coats of McGuire's! I can smell my car from 10' away in my garage...LOL

Old 06-15-2010, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
If you are using cheesecloth, I don't think you are using your wax product correctly.
When applying the coat should be thin to aid in removal.

When properly applied, during removal, the wax shouldn't smear. The basic test for wax is known as the swipe test where a swipe comes off clean. That will indicate to you that wax will come off with a microfiber towel or any other towel.

If it is smearing, that obviously means the wax has not passed the swipe test. Either it has not fully cured, it was applied too thick, or is defective/not very good wax.

If the purpose of your cheesecloth want to remove caked on wax residue, go for either a claybar, or try a mr. clean magic eraser for a slightly more porous/slight abrasive action.