2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I Know this belongs in the maintance section but,

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 AM
I Know this belongs in the maintance section but,

Only Amsoil Users chime in on this one please, Anyone out there using 0W20, have any problems? Or if using 5W30 ASL any problems using that?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:34 AM
wacky 5W20

Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 AM
I don't want to use there XL 5W20.It has a low TBN, I would use Mobil if I wanted that.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by wacky wick
I don't want to use there XL 5W20.It has a low TBN, I would use Mobil if I wanted that.
TBN? Not sure I follow. What are you trying to achieve.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Just took a closer look at Amsoil. TBN as it relates to corrosive effects. Interesting stuff.

I'm a new 1020 Sport owner and am considering synthetics. A few things that I've come to understand is that Honda suggests not switching until 2 conventional oil changes run through the engine. Has to do with breaking in the engine and the engines do not come with a special break-in oil - straight dino. The moly everyone talks of is actually the coating on the rings and pistons during manufacturing. The other is they state keeping w/ the 2W20 grade.

Interested in your point of view.

I'm seeing you just traded in an 07 - welcome to the Freak crowd!

K_C_

Old 06-14-2010, 10:30 AM
It's not just the TBN you should be looking at, you might want to look at more data than that, look at this if you can't read it I'll email it to you. Most oil companies lie about results, most of them just have good results for 1 month. Not good enough for me. I have been using Amsoil in all my cars for 20 years now. Never a problem, and no I'm not a dealer I just believe using the best and in my opinion that oil is. It wont let me send the pDF. I'll email it to you via some link.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I'm a new 1020 Sport owner and am considering synthetics. A few things that I've come to understand is that Honda suggests not switching until 2 conventional oil changes run through the engine. Has to do with breaking in the engine and the engines do not come with a special break-in oil - straight dino. K_C_
I did not notice anything in the owners manual about not switching to synthetic for 2 changes, just something about not changing until it was due, as opposed to my normal oil dump at 600-700 miles. I traded in an 07 Civic and used Mobil 1 from the first oil change. Should I go with conventional until 10,000 miles?

Old 06-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by pauljr
I did not notice anything in the owners manual about not switching to synthetic for 2 changes, just something about not changing until it was due, as opposed to my normal oil dump at 600-700 miles. I traded in an 07 Civic and used Mobil 1 from the first oil change. Should I go with conventional until 10,000 miles?
In answer to your question, and as I plan on doing, wait till your 3rd oil change and make it syn oil, following the MM display - what ever mileage that is.

I spoke with Honda service when I purchased my 2010 specifically about switching to syn oil. They indicated it was suggested to wait for two changes. You will not find that written down I'm sure, but it is seems Honda is particular in the break-in cycle of their engines. Will it void the warranty - no - will it harm the engine, I doubt it. Again it was the service department at the dealer I bought from giving me advice, not trying to sell me an oil change.

Honda will not install syn oil on a service oil change, but they have no problem if you do - follow the MM and you're good to go, beyond that it's up to you.

K_C_

Old 06-14-2010, 12:39 PM
In answer to your question, and as I plan on doing, wait till your 3rd oil change and make it syn oil, following the MM display - what ever mileage that is.

K_C_
Thanks, think I'll go with that.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM
I believe it's the piston skirts themselves that have moly embedded in a manufacturing process that Honda is using. This whole first oil change thing has drove me crazy. I've owned a lot of 4cyl. cars and motorcycles and have researched this to death. I found the answer on the Honda's owner site. I believe you should have been automatically added to it when you purchased your Fit ( I recently bought a 2010). Anyhow, on the Honda Owners site it states that the factory did add a different blend of oil in order to aid break-in (No, it didn't go into any specifics, sorry). Also, that American Honda strongly recommends that you wait before changing it and follow the recommended maint. interval. For peace of mind I'm going to at least spin on a new filter in the next day or two ( I have 2600+ miles on the odometer), then just top it off with the small amount of conventional oil that was minus the filter. It's under the maint. facts section, check it out...

Old 06-14-2010, 12:54 PM
All Right ALL, Listen up, There is a Act called the Magnesson Moss Act, That basically states if the Motor Company wants you to put a certain product in There motor they need to give it to you free. The faster you get all the Molly out of your motor the better you'll be. Think about it Molly is grease!!!!!! it doesn't belong on any journals or clogging up any oil returns.....

I will do my first change at 3000 mile or so.....

I don't profess to be a genius or a smart ass but the fact is that stuff shouldn't be there to long lingering around clogging little orifices.

Enough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Think you're right on the skirts....

There are two oil analysis threads floating around worth searching for. I would think you might change your mind on a new filter.

I know this is all crazy new for me as well, but after looking at it for a while I'm becoming a believer. Trust the FIT.

I need to look at the Honda Owner stuff. I know they sent it on, but these freaks have caught my attention, a good group full of confusion!!

Old 06-14-2010, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
... I'm a new 1020 Sport owner and am considering synthetics...

K_C_
Wow! That's an older model.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:07 PM
I trust the Fit as well as Honda. The idea of that filter being full of metal,castings, etc. drives me nuts! lol. I think you'll be shocked at the owners site, they even bothered to make a small paragraph with a header "Why you should wait to change the oil..." Or something like that. I couldn't believe it, I had to look it up again after I first read it. You hit the bullseye on confusion here, understandably so. This site is really good though, lots of info as well as debate. Makes you think.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Go to any automotive forum and oil is most likely the most debated subject. Fact is most of the debate is focused on the age old perception of motor oil - a handed down tradition. As I've said elsewhere oil is not a disposable commodity. Today's engines conserve resources and we, as informed consumers, need to get on the band wagon - as well as the Big Oil Boys.

Why hasn't BP stopped the leak in a well one mile below the surface of the Gulf of Mexico when it has the technology to drill such a beast???

THEY JUST DON'T HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY TO STOP IT

Old 06-14-2010, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
About that "disposable commodity"; Used oil that you drain from your car is recyclable and most is being recycled. Changing out a few liters of oil and recycling it isn't the wasteful consumption problem.

In fact, a better maintained car that lasts longer and kept on the road is way less of a burden on the environment than the disposing of unmaintained cars that goes on.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:26 PM
What about synthetic motor oils?

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/David/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
You may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements listed above. That is, it must display the Starburst symbol, and match the weight grade recommended in your owner's manual.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/David/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
When using synthetic oil, you must follow the oil and filter change intervals given in the maintenance schedule.
Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.
American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

Thats from the Honda Owners Link

To me a wear pattern is about 3000 miles

Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Moly is a chemical element, number 42 I believe. It's only a component of grease. Most assembly lubes are trapped within a filter during the intial run of a motor. Top engine builders will use a "race" filter (ultra fine steel mesh, in simple terms) and then open it up and inspect it after a trial test and tune on a dyno. I know the Fit is not a race engine, I'm just throwin' it out there for the discussion.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
David, if you want to display pictures you need to use a hosting service like ImageShack® - Online Media Hosting

Old 06-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
About that "disposable commodity"; Used oil that you drain from your car is recyclable and most is being recycled. Changing out a few liters of oil and recycling it isn't the wasteful consumption problem.

In fact, a better maintained car that lasts longer and kept on the road is way less of a burden on the environment than the disposing of unmaintained cars that goes on.
To me wasteful oil consumption includes putting excess $$'s in a fat man's pocket - but you are correct in that it is recycling and that's most definitely a good thing.

I couldn't agree more with your second point - the past two cars I've driven have been second hand and driven at least 15yrs past there manufacturing date.

wacky This thread has really gotten involved way beyond your initial question - hasn't it. We ain't freaks for nuttin.

Thanks for the syn info, lots to look at there. I will be switching over "when the time is right"..... nuf said about that. The chart ranks each grade and I like that and the related WWW has a bunk of additional info as well.

K_C_

Quick Reply: I Know this belongs in the maintance section but,