2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I Know this belongs in the maintance section but,

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
In answer to your question, and as I plan on doing, wait till your 3rd oil change and make it syn oil, following the MM display - what ever mileage that is.

I spoke with Honda service when I purchased my 2010 specifically about switching to syn oil. They indicated it was suggested to wait for two changes. You will not find that written down I'm sure, but it is seems Honda is particular in the break-in cycle of their engines. Will it void the warranty - no - will it harm the engine, I doubt it. Again it was the service department at the dealer I bought from giving me advice, not trying to sell me an oil change.

Honda will not install syn oil on a service oil change, but they have no problem if you do - follow the MM and you're good to go, beyond that it's up to you.

K_C_
The Acura Dealer I used to go to had a few techs that highly recommended synthetic if you rev the engine more than a "normal Driver". I got to know them pretty well and they never recommended something that just simply didn't make sense. Their recommendation was to leave the initial oil in and then swap to synth at the 1st scheduled oil change. For me, they recommended not swapping to synth as I didn't rev the engine much (initially). Once I began to rev it... I switched over. My current Honda dealer was like "its up to you..." so i asked to swap over (at about 9500 miles, my 1st oil change) and Honda had no problems swapping it over. They regularly stock every grade of Mobil1 along side the stock Honda oil and have right on their list of services, Mobil1 synth changes.

~SB