2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Confused about armrests?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Confused about armrests?

So there's the Zeta, the Honda OEM, and the JDM?

On the AJR site, there's what appears to be the JDM model:
A&J Racing :: Specials :: JDM Honda Armrest Console - Honda Fit 09+ (GE8) **Special**

I just want to be totally sure here. Is the picture shown in the above link the actual JDM armrest or is it maybe the Honda OEM?

If it's a JDM armrest, then it is apparently more expensive than the OEM. What's the justification? Is the JDM that much better?

Also, saw somewhere that the OEM model is not designed for the MT Fit??? What's up with that?

Last edited by ck42; 06-12-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
The link looks just like the OEM version... they could very well be the same, since it doesn't show preference for left or right side driving. Other than style/choice of color, I don't see why there would be a difference.

As for the M/T... Honda says it's not compatible, but it actually is. A few people that have responded about this in the past have said it's just about liability. While I do think it's a lot to do with liability, I do believe that it WILL interfere with some drivers. Just bump the elbow slightly, and you'll have a reaction. The question is... what kind of reaction? Some people barely react... but maybe some people do crazy things. Who knows. All I know is... I WANT to have it, but since I'm getting an M/T... I'll seriously have to think about it.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Goobers.
I'll see if I can get a reply from AJR as see what they have to say.
I'll respond back here once I get things cleared up...for anyone else who may be interested.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:07 PM
I have the center console. I don't get why it's considered "incompatible" with the MT. It in no way interferes with the shifter; the shifter sits well in front of the armrest. In fact, the instructions describe how to install it on a MT. The only thing it MAY interfere with (albeit in a minor way) MIGHT be the hand brake. I have had no issues whatsoever and it adds a great deal of comfort and convenience.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Isn't the Japanese Fit console a one piece unit:

EDIT: D'oh! I think that's a GD console!
I kinda wonder how closely the Insight's console matches... I wonder if the whole thing would bolt straight in.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gmalone
I have the center console. I don't get why it's considered "incompatible" with the MT. It in no way interferes with the shifter; the shifter sits well in front of the armrest. In fact, the instructions describe how to install it on a MT. The only thing it MAY interfere with (albeit in a minor way) MIGHT be the hand brake. I have had no issues whatsoever and it adds a great deal of comfort and convenience.
Put your armrest in the "down" position. Put your hands on the shifter, when you pull the shifter back to the 2/4/R gears, how close is your elbow to the armrest? In that position, keep your hands on the shifter and swing your elbow around... do they come close to touching the armrest at any time?

Do you think someone with a longer forearm or upper arm (or both) and a low arm shifting stance would come close to hitting it?

In the Nissan Pathfinder, I have hit my elbow on the center armrest when switching from N to D (it's an A/T, obviously)... so I do believe it's possible for M/T.

Last edited by Goobers; 06-13-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Goobers: I get your question. For me, my elbow naturally rests just above the console. For other folks, I guess it might be a problem. I have never noticed the console when shifting. It is pricey though, and I understand you wanting to be sure it will be an asset to your Fit before buying.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
Isn't the Japanese Fit console a one piece unit:

EDIT: D'oh! I think that's a GD console!
I kinda wonder how closely the Insight's console matches... I wonder if the whole thing would bolt straight in.
Although that is not the exact console I have, the arm rest that I have mounts in that back "container" spot (at the far left)

Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 AM
i want an armrest/consol for my Fit. but my Fit already has one. The armrest that came with my 09 Fit Sport is connected to my seat. it folds up and down. if i were to get the armrest/consol it'd be kinda weird have 2 armrest. and im not sure if it'd fit. i really want the armrest/consol so i can put things in it and also use it as an armrest at any postion my seat is in.

anyone else have an armrest connected to their seats?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 AM
I believe all sport Fits come with the armrest that folds up/down as a standard part of the driver's seat. On the oem console that I installed, there are instructions about how to remove the armrest. The armrest would interfere with the console and thus has to come off. In the hardware that comes with the console is a plastic cover that you install after you remove the armrest so you don't have a big ole ugly hole there. Hope this helps.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:24 PM
oh really?! NICE! looks like ill be upgrading to the OEM consol/armrest! do you have pictures of yours installed?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Have a look-

YouTube - Episode #154 - 2nd Generation Honda Fit Armrest Installation

I wish the damn thing came pre-drilled. Easy yes, but I like plug and play, not dicking around with drill bits. Oh well.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 06-14-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Have a look-

YouTube - Episode #154 - 2nd Generation Honda Fit Armrest Installation

I wish the damn thing came pre-drilled. Easy yes, but I like plug and play, not dicking around with drill bits. Oh well.

Dan
Our armrest is just about a drop-in. Uses the existing screw hole at the bottom of the rear cup holder.