2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

vin # on fender

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
vin # on fender

ok guys, about 3 weeks ago i got in a fender bender in a parking lot. i brought it to dealer and they replaced the whole front bumper because some clips were broken inside and they didnt want to deal with it and it was paid by insurance.

anyways, i come home today to open my hood and to see if my fenders have the vin # sticker on them...i couldn't find it anywhere! i know that the fenders were not replaced since they werent even touched from the accident.

so for all the GE owners, where are the vin # stickers located at for the front fenders and the bumper? Thanks!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
one i know of is between the door and fender.
open the door and look between them from the
side and u will see a sticker. hard to say but stand
in front of your mirror while doing it.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
Is the number you're looking for the one that's hidden behind a sliding plastic 'door' on the windshield wiper cowl? You slide this little cover to the right and the number is stamped on the metal inside. Weird arrangement that I stumbled upon.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BraytonAK
Is the number you're looking for the one that's hidden behind a sliding plastic 'door' on the windshield wiper cowl? You slide this little cover to the right and the number is stamped on the metal inside. Weird arrangement that I stumbled upon.
That's the frame VIN you are referring to.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Fitcious
ok guys, about 3 weeks ago i got in a fender bender in a parking lot. i brought it to dealer and they replaced the whole front bumper because some clips were broken inside and they didnt want to deal with it and it was paid by insurance.

anyways, i come home today to open my hood and to see if my fenders have the vin # sticker on them...i couldn't find it anywhere! i know that the fenders were not replaced since they werent even touched from the accident.

so for all the GE owners, where are the vin # stickers located at for the front fenders and the bumper? Thanks!
The FactoryServiceManual shows two locations for the VIN. One inside the windshield the other under the hood behind the sliding door - that's it. The Engine and Tranny are also numbered, not VIN'ed. The stickers could hold the paint code, part ID but they are not listed as VIN ID's.

Hope this helps.

K_C_

Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
The FactoryServiceManual shows two locations for the VIN. One inside the windshield the other under the hood behind the sliding door - that's it. The Engine and Tranny are also numbered, not VIN'ed. The stickers could hold the paint code, part ID but they are not listed as VIN ID's.

Hope this helps.

K_C_
Take a closer look. There are VIN stickers. They aren't paint codes or part IDs. The easiest place to see this is to open the hatch and you'll see the stickers of the rear bumper and the hatch itself.

The stickers for the front fenders can be seen by opening the front door and looking between the door and the fender. The sticker is on the edge of the fender.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Well I'll be. . . must be how they gather and keep track of the parts when assembling. I did see a fender sticker as you described. No clue where the bumper sticker is though. Guess the FSM locates to stamped VIN locations. As I understand there are most likely others for secure ID purposes.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
thank you everyone. i found it. weird location to have it at.

remember, its quite important to keep the vin stickers on the parts because when you resell, its better to have it on. if its gone, it makes the buyers think that the panel was replaced since its illegal to replace that vin # sticker onto the new part

Old 06-09-2010, 01:32 PM
So where was them?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
it was where everyone said..you open your front doors, and its between the door jam and the front fender...its located in the "rear of the front fender" if that makes sense

Old 06-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Also there is one on the gas tank door thing lol inside the door in the hatch onthe wiper area and I know I'm forgeting another one oh yeah bottom right on the windshield