2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Oil analysis report at 18.6k miles - 09 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Oil analysis report at 18.6k miles - 09 Fit

Honda Fit Sport 2009 - Automatic

Here is my second oil analysis report for your info. I wait until the maintenance minder hits 15% before going in for an oil change at my local Honda Dealer.

My second and current oil change, I put about 8,500 miles on the oil before changing it.
My first oil change I put about 10k miles on the oil before changing it.

Mileage consists of about 70% highway, 30% street. During my prior oil change, I did more highway driving (~90% highway) which explains why I needed an oil change sooner this time around.

The lab reports that the oil was in good condition and they recommend that I go *longer* between oil changes.

You can view my first oil analysis report here.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
very cool, i love my fit and how well put together it is! oh and thier name makes me hungry for icecream (around here we have a creamery named coldstone with the same font for a logo)

Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
what brand oil are you running?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Brand of oil

Originally Posted by clay7160
what brand oil are you running?
I get my oil changes at my local Honda dealership, so whatever they are using. According to my oil change receipt, "3.8(quarts) OIL 5/20". Probably Honda stock oil.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fufit905
I get my oil changes at my local Honda dealership, so whatever they are using. According to my oil change receipt, "3.8(quarts) OIL 5/20". Probably Honda stock oil.
Interesting... The report says 5W30

Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
Interesting... The report says 5W30
Might explain the low viscosity compared to the averages.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I noticed that too. 5w30 on that report.

My first change was at 15% with break in oil- 5w20. Changed to Mobil 1 full synthetic, 5w20. We shall see, but my expectations are very high.

Dan

Old 06-09-2010, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
What I noticed was "Liability Limited to Cost of Analysis."

I should send them a sample from my lawnmower.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing your reports. Ive been a Blackstone customer for many years. No matter what proof we have, the "recreational oil changers" and "cheap insurance" advocates refuse to accept science. Its more like a religion to them. Modern oil in modern engines lasts a long time.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:33 AM
This is one more reason I use regular dino oil and just follow the maintenance minder before I change my oil. No real reason to spend more money on synthetic oil if regular oil can last 8k-10k miles before an oil change is required.

myke

Old 06-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Sunday rant

Originally Posted by nikita
Thanks for sharing your reports. Ive been a Blackstone customer for many years. No matter what proof we have, the "recreational oil changers" and "cheap insurance" advocates refuse to accept science. Its more like a religion to them. Modern oil in modern engines lasts a long time.
Just a simple example of "Bid Oil Marketing". Many people "buy" oil in many ways - we all do. Time's at hand to begin to change our ways - listen to the science and remember Galileo. Oil is not a disposable commodity. Right now the Gulf is filling with it.

K_C_

Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Just a simple example of "Bid Oil Marketing". Many people "buy" oil in many ways - we all do. Time's at hand to begin to change our ways - listen to the science and remember Galileo. Oil is not a disposable commodity. Right now the Gulf is filling with it.

K_C_
Well actually motor oil isn't really that big user of crude oil even though it looks the most like it. Especially if you're recycling your motor oil so it eventually gets burned as fuel.

If you're mad, redirect your rant to changing of ways to reducing gasoline, which is by far the main consumer of oil.

Compare using an extra 4quarts (1gallon) of motor oil for an extra oil change to 400 gallons of gasoline over 12000 miles and it's obvious that the motor oil usage barely makes a difference as compared to reducing the gasoline usage.

If you made sure your tires were inflated and saved say 10gallons of gas, it'd make 10times the difference over an unneeded oil change.

Last edited by raytseng; 06-15-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 PM
how can Cu drop from 12 to 0, the residual oil in the engine should have contaminated the new oil.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Something interesting, there are no oil minder lights on the JDM model and recommended oil change is every 5000km (3100miles) in severe conditions and 10000km routine, which traffic in and around Tokyo is on the severe side with the bumper to bumper daily grind. Why is this, maybe because petroleum products costs a damn arm and leg here. Seriously the cheapest oil you can buy in a 4liter container is still about $40. I purchased some Eneos when I was in the US and brought it back on the plane with me, 12quarts for $100, that same amount and oil here would of cost me about $275.

I noticed in my 2007 S2000 (it came with one of these dummy lamps) the maintenance minder was right on target of about 3000 miles before reaching the point where the thing stayed lit and needed a change at least according to the ECU.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
Well actually motor oil isn't really that big user of crude oil even though it looks the most like it. Especially if you're recycling your motor oil so it eventually gets burned as fuel.

If you're mad, redirect your rant to changing of ways to reducing gasoline, which is by far the main consumer of oil.

Compare using an extra 4quarts (1gallon) of motor oil for an extra oil change to 400 gallons of gasoline over 12000 miles and it's obvious that the motor oil usage barely makes a difference as compared to reducing the gasoline usage.

If you made sure your tires were inflated and saved say 10gallons of gas, it'd make 10times the difference over an unneeded oil change.
I think we can all safely say that we're trying to do our part as far as gasoline is concerned. (we all own FITs.) although everyone can do more.

As for motor Oil...
If people can be convinced that the old standard of 3 month/3000 miles is really not necessary anymore and if every car went a minimum of (conservatively) 6K miles with many going 10K or 12K miles, we are looking at cutting back by 60-75% of the amount of motor oil consumed. That means's only 1/4 - 1/3 of the needs to be produced and recycled. (It's not just what the car produces, it's what the refineries & recycling/disposal facilities produce as well). This also means that 1/4 - 1/3 of the amount of oil would be disposed of imporperly (People who just dump it out or throw it in the trash).

Everyone can do a little, some can do alot... but it all helps.

~SB

Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Hey specboy thanks for making a wonderful point. We all need to realize that just because things get recycled doesn't mean we can use more of them. I bought a FIT because it makes great sense economically, uses less of everyting. I am reducing my consumption impact.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
I'll bump this thread with my own oil analysis results:

This is the second oil change for my Fit at the 1 year, 7 month mark, with about 10,900 miles on this oil sample and 19,500 miles on the engine. I changed to synthetic for the 2nd change (Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20), and for this change, I switched to Mobil 1 0W-20 (mainly because Walmart didn't have Pennzoil in the 0W-20 weight).

The majority of my driving is highway and suburban driving, I'd have to say something like 90% highway/10% city, and like fufit905, Blackstone said I could go longer if I wanted.

Here's my previous oil analysis report: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post903431

I'll suggest that any oil discussion goes in the the https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...e-starter.html thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure 1.3% fuel dilution is "normal". Note that it dropped the flash point to slightly below spec. Mostly highway driving, unless these were mostly trips under ten miles from a cold start shouldnt produce much dilution. Dont panic, but keep an eye on it. Also a difference of 2ppm Al is so insignificant I dont know why he commented at all. Piston scuffing is not an issue. Thanks for posting.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nikita
I'm not sure 1.3% fuel dilution is "normal". Note that it dropped the flash point to slightly below spec. Mostly highway driving, unless these were mostly trips under ten miles from a cold start shouldnt produce much dilution. Dont panic, but keep an eye on it. Also a difference of 2ppm Al is so insignificant I dont know why he commented at all. Piston scuffing is not an issue. Thanks for posting.
Thanks for the analysis!

The fuel dilation does worry me a bit, but I attributed that to the fact that I didn't get the engine up to operating temp before changing the oil (I started the car first thing in the morning, moved it in the driveway, idled a bit, then turned it off -- I just totally forgot bringing the engine up to temp.). I think the recommended sampling procedure is to get the engine up to operating temp to burn off stuff that might settle in the oil overnight. (Gas Sampling).

I guess we'll see how it looks in another 8 months or so...

Old 03-22-2011, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clicq
I guess we'll see how it looks in another 8 months or so...
Are you not going to try following their advice to run up to 12k miles?

If anything, you're they guy who has paid for the analysis and the advice/analysis is specifically directed to your car.

Quick Reply: Oil analysis report at 18.6k miles - 09 Fit