2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Charge and play music?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Charge and play music?

Hey waz up fellas! Hey I'm gettin tired of my iPhone 3GS and was thinkin once my contract ends I was gonna go with an Android phone. Just to see if I like it. Would an Android phone charge and play through the 2009 Honda Fit car stereo through the USB port in the upper glove box like the iPhone does? Cause if it doesn't, there's no way imma get an android. I really like the idea of playing music through my phone with one USB cable.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 AM
It will work the same as if you just used a USB memory stick. I much prefer using my Android phone with a dash mount going through the AUX so that I can use apps like Listen, Pandora, Last.FM and just use the USB port for MP3s on a USB stick.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SkEEzY_GT
Hey waz up fellas! Hey I'm gettin tired of my iPhone 3GS and was thinkin once my contract ends I was gonna go with an Android phone. Just to see if I like it. Would an Android phone charge and play through the 2009 Honda Fit car stereo through the USB port in the upper glove box like the iPhone does? Cause if it doesn't, there's no way imma get an android. I really like the idea of playing music through my phone with one USB cable.
get yourself a flash Drive and try that for a few days/weeks. That will give you the feel of playing audio through an android set as the fit (I believe) handles the phone like a USB Mass Storage Device. For me, that would be find however... You will not have access to your itunes purchased music (unless you paid extra for mp3 format), nor will you have playlist options like with the iPhone (you'll have folder and file access).

If you like the way the fit manages the music currently, your options are:
  • keep your iPhone
  • Get a new iPhone
  • Get an Android set and leave your iPhone in the car plugged in for music.
  • Sell your iphone, replace it with a cheap iPod (for the car), then use an android phone.
~SB

Old 06-07-2010, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
thanks fellas! aww man no playlists. I think though I can just make a folder with the playlist mp3s copied in there. I don't know. I might cave in and get the new iPhone set to be announced today by good ole Stevie Jobs. I saw it on Gizmodo and that thing looks sweet. Imma wait to hear what that's about before I do anything. Android is more for the gearheads like me though. It's more open source. Damn competition sucks. There used to be just the iPhone. lol.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
of note... with the way iPods retain !Cough Cough! compatability, there's no guaruntee the new iPhone will work the way your current one does with the fit. Half the Accessories/connections that the last gen iWhatever would work with are not compatible.

Jump ship... go Android. I'm debating on my next phone to be an Android Set. I'm running WinMo 6.5 (cooked rom) on my samsung omnia and I'm up for a new phone at the end of the year.

~SB

Old 06-08-2010, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
thanks fellas! aww man no playlists. I think though I can just make a folder with the playlist mp3s copied in there.
Does the stock GE Fit HU accept playlists in any other format? You might have some luck left.

This might be worth a try if you still want playlists:

1) Slap some tunes onto a USB thumbdrive.
2) Open up Windows Media Player. Using the tracks on the thumbdrive, save a playlist using the .WPL extension (this is specific to WMP as far as I know).
3) Save a copy of the same playlist, but this time use the .M3U extension (WinAmp saves its playlists in this format - you have better chance of success with M3U). There is the option of switching between WPL and M3U playlist formats in WMP.
4) Hook your thumbdrive to the Fit HU and see if it reads any of the two playlist files you made.

It's a bit more work but hey at least you have some chance of retaining some playlists. If this will work on your thumbdrive, I bet it'll work the same way with the Android phone - as Specboy says, the Android phone will also be picked up as a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device.

HTH

Last edited by Type 100; 06-08-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I think I might go android. This new iPhone doesn't seem that much different from the old one. I like the all white design though. I'm gonna find another person who has an android phone and hook it into my car to see if I like it. Cause I gots to have tunes in my car.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Does the stock GE Fit HU accept playlists in any other format? You might have some luck left.

HTH
Nope... no playlist support. The only way to do a "playlist" is to put the songs into the folder and name the folder the playlist. If you want the same song in multiple playlists, you'll have to duplicate the song on the flash drive/phone taking up lots of space. Not a big deal if it's one or two songs but elsewise... not worth it.
Yeah I think I might go android. This new iPhone doesn't seem that much different from the old one. I like the all white design though. I'm gonna find another person who has an android phone and hook it into my car to see if I like it. Cause I gots to have tunes in my car.
See my options above. I'd say stick with leaving the iPhone in the car unless you absolutely HAVE to have your music with you at all times.

My wife's iPod 30GB stays in the Ridgeline hooked up to the Harman Kardon Drive+Play system and her Touch is used everywhere else.

~SB

Old 06-09-2010, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Nope... no playlist support. The only way to do a "playlist" is to put the songs into the folder and name the folder the playlist. If you want the same song in multiple playlists, you'll have to duplicate the song on the flash drive/phone taking up lots of space. Not a big deal if it's one or two songs but elsewise... not worth it.
Oh that's a pretty sad development... Thanks for confirming though.

It's not restricted to factory-fit stuff mind you; even Pioneer has ditched M3U playlist support in its newer head units. My own DEH-P7950UB, released in 2007 as Pioneer's "first-generation" USB-capable HU, seems to be a rare animal in terms of playlist support.

I guess the overwhelming support for iPods and their derivatives have pushed support for the lowly thumbdrive and other USB MSC devices as a lower-priority kind of thing... I mean, M3U playlists are pretty basic really, but the fact that they're getting the boot screams "reduced functionality" any way you look at it.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
Ok so anyway I changed my mind. I was checking out the iPhone 4 and I'm gonna get it. Imma put off Android for a while. I was reading about the new iPhone and got all excited. I'm into photography and I like the way iTunes syncs with the My Pictures folder in windows and puts all the pics on the phone so I can show them to people. I think Android's new Froyo update might do that same thing though so if I wait I'll check that out. iPhone 4 doesn't come out until the 24th of June but when I get it I'll post on here whether it works with the Honda Head Unit via USB. It should but specboy said there's no guarantee. I'll return the damn thing if it doesn't. AT&T said they'll let me upgrade for no additional charge even though I've been with them only a year. I just have to buy the iPhone at the contract price then pay an $18 upgrade fee. I think that's fair. A lot of people have to wait 2 years.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:09 PM
I have an adroit 2 global and I plug it to the Ups port and it played one day and ever since it has been saying unsupported. I have set the Ups connection to Ups mass storage but it keeps saying unsupported and when I tap my phone it is saying sd card it busy. Tried turning the phone on and off, taking out the battery, tried a different sd card with the same songs but I keep getting the same unsupported thing. The songs play fine on my phone. They are mp3 files. My ipod also works fine with it, just can't get the android to play but I know it played once before. Any suggestions?